PDA

View Full Version : MyMindIsGoing and others - E-store to advise and configure a system?

John Feeney
08-22-2005, 03:59 PM
So I was reading this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2668394&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) where Ray asked for feedback on his system. I need a new system (still on Win 98, with about a 12 gig HD!) and, though it may be more than I need, MyMindIsGoing has sold me on the advantages of getting quality parts, even if it means slightly less speed etc.

My needs are pretty simple, I think. These days it's mostly just surfing, writing, emailing and working on a website I'm putting together. (Being new to that I decided to use some blogging software - Wordpress - that's semi-usable "out of the box.") I expect to create another site or two in the future. (These are not poker-related.) I'm no expert, but I don't thing most of that require muchs from my computer. It's just FTP'ing, downloading some backup files, and so on. But I'd like something durable, unlikely to die on me down the road. (My current system has lasted 5 years, but my previous one suffered the dreaded hard drive crash, destroying everything on it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

Perhaps I should just duplicate MyMindIsGoing's system which he described in that thread. I suspect that would much more than meet my needs. Maybe that's good as it would be plenty for me over the next several years. Or maybe I should try to tailor it more to my specific needs. Hmmm... Open to suggestions here.

In any event I've not heard great things about the shops in my area, and these days I'm not close to a large city with lots of options. So I'm leaning toward using an online store that offers advice and will configure it for me. Follow up service is of course also an issue. Has anyone here used such a store you can recommend for this purpose?

I know Dell is a convenient option, but I've heard enough iffy stuff about their quality and service to be wary. I hear their service has returned to a higher level recently, but I'd rather pay an extra couple hundred for a system that won't break down than take my chances that they'll actually get someone to my home on short notice and be able to recover what's on my HD, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

John Feeney
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM

John Feeney
08-22-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These days it's mostly just surfing, writing, emailing and working on a website I'm putting together... I'm no expert, but I don't thing most of that require muchs from my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have added music and photo storage to that list. Still, relatively modest needs I suppose.

jnalpak
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
i havent read the other threads on these "super workstations" but i'm guessing they are custom built.

Do you really want to build a custom box?
Have you ever done this before?

If you dont know what or who makes quality parts then custom building one will be a complete PITA for you. You will have problems and sometimes problems that forums wont be able to assist you with and counting on the custom company parts technical support is tough when there are 5 other custom parts that could present potential problems.

Unless this is a hobby of yours to start building machines then i suggest you call DELL and have them customize your box for you to the specs you have gathered from the forum threads that have met your needs.

Regarding DELL, i used to be a big hater but was forced into purchasing some of their high end precision machines geared towards the financial market and SO FAR SO GOOD. Support is much better now and they will 1day you anything. And for the most part they are competitivly priced out so custom building doesnt save you that much anymore.

you're on a win98 box with 12GB @ the min a P4 3.0ghz and 1GB of ram with a dual video card will do you justice. Throw in a 500gb drive and you'll be in heaven.

krimson
08-23-2005, 04:01 PM
The best way to do this is to not do it online. Find a local computer shop, one that is small enough to not just have "mass produced" computers, but one that is big enough to stick around and service your pc.

Most "computer parts" stores will allow you to custom build machines that they will put together themselves. Find a store with some nice sales support who will talk to you about what you need the computer for and they will pick out the parts.

Since you are paying for the parts going into the computer they are less inclined to try and "build it cheaply" to save a few bucks, and you will be able to get better quality parts and they will give you room to upgrade later on and what not.

John Feeney
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't really want to build it myself, though I've been toying with the idea. It's more the idea of consulting with someone who would then build it for me. My current one was built by a local shop when I was living in San Diego. At the time an engineer friend just told me pretty much what I should have with regard to HD, Ram, etc., and pointed me to the shop. They recommended certain parts as I consulted with them on my needs/wants. It's done well, but is now obviously a bit of a relic.

But someone told me the shops near where I live now were not very good. Still, I live close to two small cities which ought to have at least one good shop between them. So maybe I'll look around and then go with Krimson's advice if I find a place that seems decent.

Otherwise I'll give serious consideration to the Dell option you describe.

jnalpak
08-24-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't really want to build it myself, though I've been toying with the idea. It's more the idea of consulting with someone who would then build it for me. My current one was built by a local shop when I was living in San Diego. At the time an engineer friend just told me pretty much what I should have with regard to HD, Ram, etc., and pointed me to the shop. They recommended certain parts as I consulted with them on my needs/wants. It's done well, but is now obviously a bit of a relic.

But someone told me the shops near where I live now were not very good. Still, I live close to two small cities which ought to have at least one good shop between them. So maybe I'll look around and then go with Krimson's advice if I find a place that seems decent.

Otherwise I'll give serious consideration to the Dell option you describe.

[/ QUOTE ]

small shops like that are good since there are quote professionals taking care of your business but their aftermarket support is where they can STICK IT IN YOU.

if you can afford it, PRECEISION 380 is a solid workhorse!! im running dual core (not dual cpu) with 2gb of ram and a quad card from matrox and they are SUPER fast...roughly 2000 with the matrox card but i think you can knock that down to like 1700. Now, if you can find the PC BOX that this BTX beau was built in, then i would have to think long and hard about building another box...