PDA

View Full Version : Trash in the BB, one limper.....

meow_meow
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry if this question is a bit general, but I think I may be missing something here.
This situation comes up quite a bit: I'm in the BB with crap, and there is either one limper to me, or it's folded to SB who completes (ok, two different situations). Together, these account for 12% of my BB hands at 5/10 6max.

Generally, I play these very straighforwardly:
Against limper, bet middle pair or better (roughly) on the flop, check-fold if I miss the flop.
Against SB, bet/raise with middle pair or better (roughly), check behind (or fold) if I miss the flop.

I think betting when you have a hand is the way to go virtually all the time, but it's the majority of the time that I miss the flop that's worrying me. I really, really hate to check all the way to have my 7-high beaten by T-high.
On the flip side, I find that in the SB-BB situation, many players will cr from the sb, and I hate getting cr'ed when I have squat.
If I do take a stab at the flop and get called, I feel like I need to follow up on the turn, given the huge proportion of 5/10 players who will peel one with as little as undercards with a 3-card straight.

Any advice?

Anders_G
08-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I think you need to bet more flops, if it's a sb-limp and he ckecks to you. I think they fold a better hand more often than they try a check-raise on the flop in that situation.

You don't say anything about it, so I also assume that you should be raising more in the BB, especially against SB-limps. Should give you more space to play around on postflop.

Dudd
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I just auto-bet either when checked to in the BB or heads up OOP. It only has to work 50% of the time against the SB and less than that against a limper, and I think it works often enough to be profitable, especially when you can improve on later streets to the best hand. Now obviously if your opponent is a decent, aggressive player, you might not want to do this, but against most oposition, I do it.

wackjob
08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
C/R against your more observant opponents even when you miss. Of course at these limits there aren't many observant opponents & if you are at a table with some you should get a new table. Any time its 2 or 3 handed I will lead with ANY pair, unless its a flop like A K 2 & I hold the 2. Table image is also a consideration, but again at lower limits not as much so. You just want to play straight forward. Sounds like you do this & its not a bad thing. There are probably more important areas of your game you can work on than trying to squeeze .01-.02 BB out of your BB play.