PDA

View Full Version : Play against a button raise

08-22-2005, 02:31 PM
In a $1-2 game, everyone folds to the button who raises (pre-flop)... a common strategy; how should the blinds respond if the raiser is a known loose player? What hands should be played from either position? Or should I not play any differently than I normally would in the blinds?
Also, are there any books that cover short-handed play in small stakes games in considerable depth? I loved Sklansky's small stakes book, but there is limited discussion of play against a few opponents.

Thanks for any help

synbad13
08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Sklansky's advanced book talks about short-handed play. This situation pretty specifically. You must play atleast enough hands so that he doesn't show an automatic profit. If he loose, this means tipically reraising with the better 1/3 of your hands. This includes specifically suited connecting cards (and 1 gappers), because it gives the illusion of big cards with the deception of smaller cards.
I can't imagine reraising everytime with 45s, but you just loosen your opening hand requirements.
It depends on how the player plays post-flop also. If he constantly sees the river, then big cards are much more successful. Many showdowns are won with A high.