PDA

View Full Version : I am the calling station

dhaimon
08-22-2005, 02:17 PM
5 handed 5/10 game on Party.

First orbit on this table although I saw SB call 2 cold in the BB with 43s. So he's probably pretty loose.

folded to me on the button and I raise A9o, SB insta 3-bets and BB calls 2 cold, I call.

flop comes AK7 rainbow. SB bets, BB calls, I call.

turn comes a 9 completing the rainbow, SB bets, we both call.

river comes a T. SB bets, we both call.

is this an ok line? I figured I am so easily dominated here so I win the most by letting him bluff and lose the least when I'm dominated.

I bet if I'm checked to, and probably raise if SB checks and BB bets.

Haupt_234
08-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Why didn't you raise the turn?

Haupt_234

dhaimon
08-22-2005, 02:25 PM
And fold to a 3-bet? Take a free showdown? Value raise?

I don't see that as a value raise, he's not folding anything that's beating me, and I'd get more value from kings and pocket queens etc by letting him bet.

jba
08-22-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't see that as a value raise, he's not folding anything that's beating me, and I'd get more value from kings and pocket queens etc by letting him bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is definitely for value, he is calling with any ace, any king, pocket queens will call you down here a good amount of time you would be suprised. raise the turn and bet the river.

meow_meow
08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, that is super-weak thinking. What are you afraid of? AA, KK, 99 and AK. You need to raise the turn for value. As mentioned, he's calling with any ace, probably any king, QQ and JJ probably as well.
If you get 3-bet then it's time to call down, but not raising the turn is awful.

dhaimon
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
If I'm 3-bet on the turn I'm probably drawing nearly dead. I don't see a hand that 3-bets me on the turn that I beat without the player being a total lunatic. So I don't exactly see how folding there is super-weak.

That being said, I understand why I should have raised somewhere, however, by "normal" 3-betting standards, wouldn't he have AK-AT way more often than he has a PP I beat.

I have no read on this guy, but people don't generally 3-bet with Kx preflop. Ax maybe if he thought I was stealing.

I understand that this hand has great showdown value, so I don't relly want to fold it anywhere.

Haupt_234
08-22-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no read on this guy, but people don't generally 3-bet with Kx preflop. Ax maybe if he thought I was stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at 5/10, not on party poker, not 5-handed, not when you open raise on the button... starting to see the point?

Not raising somewhere on the turn or river is, like many of the other posters said, incredibly weak. Your explanations for doing so are weak as well, which is 100% fine. You are posting to try and get better, so we will respond to try and get you more aggressive.

There is no reason not to raise the turn. By not doing so, you are saying that the SB has AA/KK/AK. You can't even really consider a set of 7s or 9s because you shouldn't fear monsters under the bed without seeing significant action first. Assuming the SB is a typical party donk, his range of hands is huge compared to the few you put him on when he autobet the flop and fired out again on the turn. On top of that, the BB is in the pot donating.

Raise this turn!

Haupt_234

dhaimon
08-24-2005, 05:45 AM
ROFL. I just realized that I wrote the turn as a 9. Obviously it was a blank and I still only have one pair.

I think I'll repost this

Escape
08-24-2005, 06:27 AM
A lot of people will 3 bet with A5s+ and a6+ in the sb. ANd he could have a couple different pocketpairs. Although I think call/call/bet is fine.

setjes
08-24-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ROFL. I just realized that I wrote the turn as a 9

[/ QUOTE ]

nh hand
in this case I call down, bet when checked to