PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Best Pitcher In The AL Right Now?

JayLear
08-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Boris
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Halladay when he's not injured. Harden is a good pitcher with HOF potential. Right now I think he gets a lot of press because he can throw in the triple digits if he wants to. We love the super fast ball.

LBJ
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm going with Santana, especially of late. He is very reliable and every couple games he can give you a shutout, or 8 great innings of work. It's close between Santana and Holladay, though.

08-22-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Harden is a good pitcher with HOF potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way, way too early to talk about HOF potential. He's only had 1 full season so far.

LoaferGee12
08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, Santana without a doubt /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JayLear
08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As much as it pains me to say it, Santana without a doubt /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see another Sox fan out there -- I thought I was the only one on this board.

Hornacek
08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Jeremy Bonderman

then Felix Hernandez

that's who I'd want for the next 4-5 years...

JayLear
08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeremy Bonderman

then Felix Hernandez

that's who I'd want for the next 4-5 years...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who Is The Best Pitcher In The AL Right Now?

ThaSaltCracka
08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Da King!

LBJ
08-22-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, it pains me to say it to, as an Indians fan.

You know what is even more painful to think about? With King Felix already brought up, the Twins have the best pitching prospect just waiting to be called up in Francisco Liriano. That duo could be downright scary for the next 10 years, Santana and Liriano...

ThaSaltCracka
08-22-2005, 03:49 PM
I am a big Santana Fan, and a mild Twins fan, so I must say the prospect of seeing to young pitchers dominate next year(hopefully this other guy plays next year and is legit) is pretty awesome.

Voltron87
08-22-2005, 03:52 PM
mike mussina

<font color="white"> yes im serious </font>

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-22-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, it pains me to say it to, as an Indians fan.

You know what is even more painful to think about? With King Felix already brought up, the Twins have the best pitching prospect just waiting to be called up in Francisco Liriano. That duo could be downright scary for the next 10 years, Santana and Liriano...

[/ QUOTE ]
The Twinkies are going to rule the next 10 years. This year's dismal performance (and still only 3.5 out of the Wild Card) is just a fluke. They're getting it together. It's on!

Boris
08-22-2005, 04:01 PM
it's never too early to talk about potential.

ThaSaltCracka
08-22-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I agree, also Felix will be better than that cracka ass cracka on your team.

kerssens
08-22-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I agree, also Felix will be better than that cracka ass cracka on your team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad it looks like Felix will have to carry the pitching staff by himself.

Boris
08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Hop on the train salty cracker! (http://www.athleticsnation.com/)

JayLear
08-22-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Da King!

[/ QUOTE ]

Puke.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Twinkies are going to rule the next 10 years. This year's dismal performance (and still only 3.5 out of the Wild Card) is just a fluke. They're getting it together. It's on!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting (albeit misguided) perspective. I'd be interested to hear what this is based on.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mike mussina

yes im serious

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO...You took that gay picture to a whole new level, didn't you?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting (albeit misguided) perspective. I'd be interested to hear what this is based on.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's mostly based on them ruling.

JayLear
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought so. That answers my question.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, good. Are you done snobbing now?

Toro
08-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Jonathan don't call me Jon Paplebom.

Not really, but can you imagine this kid is going around telling writers they got to call him Jonathan.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "snobbing" you mean "talking to an idiot", then yes.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-22-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "snobbing" you mean "talking to an idiot", then yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, thanks.

Matt Williams
08-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Why isn't Mariano Rivera on the list? Unless you mean best starting pitcher? In that case, it's Chacon.

Voltron87
08-22-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't Mariano Rivera on the list? Unless you mean best starting pitcher? In that case, it's Chacon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you think.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Left "Starting Pitcher" off the subject line, but if you look at the actual poll it's stated there. Chacon...noted.

ThaSaltCracka
08-22-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Da King!

[/ QUOTE ]

Puke.

[/ QUOTE ]Hey go F yourself in the A.

ThaSaltCracka
08-22-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hop on the train salty cracker! (http://www.athleticsnation.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheRover
08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Who the hell voted for Jon Garland?

battschr
08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Santana.

irishpint
08-22-2005, 07:16 PM
johan. and as a minneapolis resident, i can call him my boy.

LoaferGee12
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see another Sox fan out there -- I thought I was the only one on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Sox fan here. Having a dream of a year so far /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Moneyline
08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Halladay has a better ERA, WHIP(barely), win %, and goes deeper in games than Santana. K to BB ratio is about the same, Santana is more durable, Halladay pitches in a tougher home ballfield. I'm not sure which team plays better defense, but I think all this adds up to a win for Halladay.

Moneyline
08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
IMO, Rivera is even better than Halladay. But Halladay is probably more valuable because he is a starter.

sublime
08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Rivera is even better than Halladay. But Halladay is probably more valuable because he is a starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its hard to compare the two really. i suppose you could just look at DIPS and compare, but the fact that halladay pithces so many more innings.

often overlooked is the fact that river is so damn good,even though year after year he pitches so many innings (postseason).

Voltron87
08-22-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its hard to compare the two really. i suppose you could just look at DIPS and compare, but the fact that halladay pithces so many more innings.

often overlooked is the fact that river is so damn good,even though year after year he pitches so many innings (postseason).

[/ QUOTE ]

its impossible to compare rivera to a starter. you cant just compare k/9, whip, dips, whatever. part of it is rivera pitches so few innings compared to a starter but the innings rivera is given, especially in the postseason, are the hardest innings around.

Jack of Arcades
08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its impossible to compare rivera to a starter. you cant just compare k/9, whip, dips, whatever. part of it is rivera pitches so few innings compared to a starter but the innings rivera is given, especially in the postseason, are the hardest innings around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, it's actually pretty easy. You can just do a straight multiplication of PRAA (lgERA-ERA x IP) by the leveraged index. That is, how important were the innings mo pitcher based on score, opponent, etc. Mo's LI is probably around 1.7, which means his average situation is 1.7 times as important as a starter.

Voltron87
08-22-2005, 11:18 PM
im sorry, but im skeptical of boiling the difference between starting a regular season game against the indians and coming for relief in extras innings in a alcs game 7 down to a number.

sublime
08-22-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im sorry, but im skeptical of boiling the difference between starting a regular season game against the indians and coming for relief in extras innings in a alcs game 7 down to a number.

[/ QUOTE ]

EVERYTHING comes down to a number.

technologic
08-22-2005, 11:30 PM
you're saying that when a batter walks into yankee stadium, hears metallica's enter sandman blasting, he doesn't start pissing in his pants when he see 42 stroll onto the mound? his stats are in no way affected?

technologic
08-22-2005, 11:30 PM
santana and it's not even close

sublime
08-22-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're saying that when a batter walks into yankee stadium, hears metallica's enter sandman blasting, he doesn't start pissing in his pants when he see 42 stroll onto the mound? his stats are in no way affected?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

technologic
08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
ie you're saying that everything is all numbers, and that nothing is situational dependent.

like, say you have a reliever who pitches all the time in the 7th with certain stats. you're saying, if i interpret correctly, that his stats would be identical if he pitched to the same batters only in different innings, such as in the ninth.

ie, i think you're subscribing to the mentality of moneyball billy bean that closers aren't that big of a deal, that you can take most any decent starter and BAM you have a closer like he did with izzy.

Voltron87
08-22-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ie you're saying that everything is all numbers, and that nothing is situational dependent.

like, say you have a reliever who pitches all the time in the 7th with certain stats. you're saying, if i interpret correctly, that his stats would be identical if he pitched to the same batters only in different innings, such as in the ninth.

ie, i think you're subscribing to the mentality of moneyball billy bean that closers aren't that big of a deal, that you can take most any decent starter and BAM you have a closer like he did with izzy.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, theyre not really saying that at all.

theyre saying that you can quantify the difference between pitching the 9th inning of a game 7 with a regular season 5th inning, using a formula.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Da King!

[/ QUOTE ]

Puke.

[/ QUOTE ]Hey go F yourself in the A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a Valium.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been reading the Little League World Series Post. No way a professional hitter is pissing his pants against any hitter. That's a little Hollywood.

sublime
08-22-2005, 11:46 PM

well, you can have a number and then use the situation to change that number. but the situation also has a number (as long as it has happened before a notable amount of times)

no. however there are numbers (stats) that show how much more difficult on average it is to pitch the 9th as opposed to the 7th. you use that number to level the field when comparing the the players (jack talked about it on the previous page)

people always draw the wrong conclusion about what beane said in relation to closers (or any other players). he didn't say that closers were not a big deal, just that they were not as BIG a deal as most thought. basically, he broke it down to numbers (well had someone do it) and realized the market was paying closers $1.50 when in fact their services were only worth $1.25

technologic
08-22-2005, 11:49 PM
obv i was being figurative here.

but then again, what can i say. you root for the chisox. that's even worse than being a cubs fan.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
johan. and as a minneapolis resident, i can call him my boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice objectivity.

JayLear
08-22-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
obv i was being figurative here.

but then again, what can i say. you root for the chisox. that's even worse than being a cubs fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what that means. Thanks?

technologic
08-22-2005, 11:55 PM
if everything is all quantifiable, then what's the meaning of playoffs? what's the meaning of the season? shouldn't a baseball season be like 500 games in order to really see which is the better team? were the red sox really the best team in 2004? (imo they were, i was very worried going into ALCS 2004 to begin with)

technologic
08-22-2005, 11:56 PM
it was a reference to your intelligence.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it was a reference to your intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post something comprehensible, and then question my intelligence.

Huskiez
08-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Why do we need a poll for this?

It's like asking who the best player in basketball ever was. The answer is obvious.

Santana.

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:06 AM
i did. i stated that you were a chisox fan. nuff said.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give up so easy.

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give up so easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

????????

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give up so easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak...

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give up so easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak...

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea what you are saying.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give up so easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak...

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea what you are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I get it. I'm a White Sox fan, so I guess I'm not smart? Right? That's the jist of it? That's all you've got? Weak. That's all.

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:22 AM
ok. well if you want an example, your intelligence is highlighted in this post:

here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=sportevents&amp;Number=3190049 &amp;Forum=,,All_Forums,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limit=25 &amp;Main=2732807&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=37760&amp;datera nge=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bod yprev=#Post3190049)

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 12:25 AM
you guys are both doing a great job of making yourselves look stupid.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok. well if you want an example, your intelligence is highlighted in this post:

here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=sportevents&amp;Number=3190049 &amp;Forum=,,All_Forums,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limit=25 &amp;Main=2732807&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=37760&amp;datera nge=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bod yprev=#Post3190049)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for incorrect there. Thanks for the greatest hits compiliation though.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron, I'm pretty sure you knew the crack about the Mussina picture was a joke, no?

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron, I'm pretty sure you knew the crack about the Mussina picture was a joke, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. everything about that picture is a joke.

but in this thread, both of you look stupid.

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:30 AM
uh white sox not having a weak lineup? the reason they're doing well is their pitching...

even i'm not blind enough to ignore the faults with my team

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:31 AM
meh. blame him for taking me so literally.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't dispute that. It's like arguing with my 6 year old.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
meh. blame him for taking me so literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. No hard feelings man. Sorry.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
uh white sox not having a weak lineup? the reason they're doing well is their pitching...

even i'm not blind enough to ignore the faults with my team

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't I seen you touting Shawn Chacon as the staff ace? Just asking.

technologic
08-23-2005, 12:44 AM
anything i write in capital letters is really in jest. though i hope he still pitches the same way.

sublime
08-23-2005, 02:15 AM
*** You are ignoring this user ***

whats this guy all excited about?

irishpint
08-23-2005, 02:45 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't dispute that. It's like arguing with my 6 year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're an adult?

Edge34
08-23-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that they've got arguably the best starter in baseball right now in Johan, a decent rotation of starters including always reliable Brad Radke and a young Kyle Lohse, the best pen in the majors (yes, even though Mariano is the best closer) and a group of great young everyday players, especially Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. Add in guys like Lew Ford who has been ridiculous in Torii's spot, and that's a pretty damn good team. Their results in the last week or two show what they do when they actually hit the ball.

Series against the Sox starting tomorrow. 10 more games against them the rest of the year, I say the Twins win 7. And I'm not kidding.

technologic
08-23-2005, 07:22 AM
even if the twins win 7, that's only a gain of 4 games...

Jack of Arcades
08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm.. yeah. If he is affected, it'll show it up in Mariano Rivera's ERA.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that they've got arguably the best starter in baseball right now in Johan, a decent rotation of starters including always reliable Brad Radke and a young Kyle Lohse, the best pen in the majors (yes, even though Mariano is the best closer) and a group of great young everyday players, especially Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. Add in guys like Lew Ford who has been ridiculous in Torii's spot, and that's a pretty damn good team. Their results in the last week or two show what they do when they actually hit the ball.

Series against the Sox starting tomorrow. 10 more games against them the rest of the year, I say the Twins win 7. And I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Sox fan, it pains me to say it, but I really do respect what the Twins have been able to do. We're still up on the Twins by 12 games in the loss column though. I think the lead is safe.

Edge34
08-23-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Sox fan, it pains me to say it, but I really do respect what the Twins have been able to do. We're still up on the Twins by 12 games in the loss column though. I think the lead is safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're a scrappy bunch. It'll be interesting if it comes down to 4 or 5 games in September.

SL__72
08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Back to the original topic... its that time of the year, Johan Santana is now the best pitcher in the AL.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm a little bit surprised after having posted this poll. I really kind of expected that Halladay would at least be more competetive with in the voting, if not run away with it. FWIW, my vote was for Rich Harden. I think since he returned from his abdominal strain earlier this year, he's been pretty much lights out. That said, I expected the voting to focus mostly on Santana and Halladay, and I'm kind of surprised that Halladay wasn't really that close. Thanks for the feedback.

08-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Halladay is the best. If he is healthy he is unhittable and never leaves the game. Id take him all day.

irishpint
08-23-2005, 04:20 PM
the question was 'right now'.

so...
who do we think wins the cy young?

personally, i think santana will take it again, since his numbers get better every week. But Rivera is in it...who else?

JayLear
08-23-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the question was 'right now'.

so...
who do we think wins the cy young?

personally, i think santana will take it again, since his numbers get better every week. But Rivera is in it...who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

If things continue in this direction, you could be right. But taking the entire season into account, I don't think you can overlook Jon Garland, especially if the White Sox end up with the best record in the AL.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rivera is in it...who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW...what's with all the "Rivera for Cy" love? Compared to recent closers that have won the Cy, Gagne and Eckersley, is he really having that kind of a year? Before all the Yankees fans jump me here, let me say I think he's great, and has been the best closer in the game for 8 or 9 years now. That's an unbelievable run for somebody who does that job. But has he really distanced himself from the other closers in the AL, let alone the deserving starters?

tolbiny
08-23-2005, 04:58 PM
The ead looked a lot safer 2 weeks ago. The sox are still probably 80-09% to win the division, but with 10 against the twins and 6 against the tribe left (including the last series of the year) we might very well see a serious race after all.

tolbiny
08-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey, [censored] you buddy- 69-56 and tied for the wild card right now. [censored] off.

Moneyline
08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Halladay has slightly better stats than Santana. Why does everyone seem so quick to discount him?

technologic
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
thing is the pool of al starters has been pretty weak as of late, and prior to a couple of weeks ago, rivera was having a great season

JayLear
08-23-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thing is the pool of al starters has been pretty weak as of late

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to name a few...

Halladay 12-4 2.41 ERA 0.96 WHIP
Santana 12-6 3.37 ERA 1.03 WHIP
Buehrle 13-6 3.07 ERA 1.18 WHIP
Garland 16-7 3.43 ERA 1.17 WHIP
Harden 10-5 2.63 ERA 1.07 WHIP
Colon 16-6 3.46 ERA 1.17 WHIP

I respectfully disagree.

technologic
08-23-2005, 08:51 PM
everybody but santana and halladay are pretty meh

and halladay hasn't done that for the whole season

JayLear
08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everybody but santana and halladay are pretty meh

and halladay hasn't done that for the whole season

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither has Santana. Garland, Buehrle and Colon have.

technologic
08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
maybe i was spoiled by this

santana (2004 AL Cy Young):
2.61era, .92whip, .192baa, 20-6, 265k

technologic
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
come on you can't seriously put garland in that mix.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
The hell I can't. I've watched him his whole career. This year his numbers are finally living up to his talent. He was a top prospect coming up, and has had the physical ability his entire career. His problem has been mental, and Ozzie Guillen seems to have finally put a chip on his shoulder. He's challenging hitters and sawing thier asses off. He's nasty this year. I hope it lasts.

technologic
08-23-2005, 09:02 PM
garland is winding down towards the stretch. i think he'll end with a good season, but not one of cy young caliber.

JayLear
08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe i was spoiled by this

santana (2004 AL Cy Young):
2.61era, .92whip, .192baa, 20-6, 265k

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I've seen him pitch a few too many times for my taste too...

JayLear
08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
garland is winding down towards the stretch. i think he'll end with a good season, but not one of cy young caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a rough start in Boston and then came back and looked great against the Yankees over the weekend. He'll be fine. He's going to end up with 20 wins and a low 3 ERA -- those are Cy-type numbers, depending on how the rest of the field finishes.

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who Is The Second Best Pitcher In The AL Right Now?

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

i assume since you left mike mussina off the list that that was what you meant.

JayLear
08-24-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who Is The Second Best Pitcher In The AL Right Now?

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

i assume since you left mike mussina off the list that that was what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mussina's dominance can be assumed, and therefore left unspoken. I love that pink background.

technologic
08-24-2005, 02:04 AM
you really gotta root for the yankees cause of mussina...the man hasn't won 20 games, a world series, a cy young, one out away from a perfect game...all he's gotten are gold gloves for his squatting manuever after every pitch.

hopefully, we'll see mussina pwn in october.

battschr
08-24-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you really gotta root for the yankees cause of mussina

[/ QUOTE ]
no I don't

technologic
08-24-2005, 02:10 AM
ok, well WERE you to root for the yankees, mussina would be a good reason why.

Voltron87
08-24-2005, 02:11 AM
this last exchange of comments was hilarious.

battschr
08-24-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, well WERE you to root for the yankees, mussina would be a good reason why.

[/ QUOTE ]
true enough, i've no beef with The Moose.

technologic
08-24-2005, 03:24 AM
nice. see, us baseball fans can get along.