PDA

View Full Version : Good fold or weak fold?

bvaughn
04-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Recent micro-limit online. Table seems pretty typical, and mostly semi-loose, passive. I'm new to this particular site so I don't know any of the players.

1 UTG limper to me in UTG+3 with A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . I raise.

Everyone folds to the limper...limper calls.

Flop: 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Limper checks...I bet...limper calls.

Turn: [9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif] 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Limper comes to life and bets, I raise, limper re-raises, I think for a second and fold.

Is this a weak fold heads-up? What do you think the limper had? The most likely hand I put him on was A5s, 55 or maybe something even 45s. It was just weird how the limper suddenly sprang to life on the turn which looked pretty harmless after a check-call on the flop. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

haakee
04-04-2003, 06:25 PM
There are not very many players who will 3-bet the turn with a worse hand than you here. You have a maximum of 5 outs, and you may have 0 outs. I think a fold is reasonable. I put the guy on 55 or A5, 4s, 9s, or A9. A lot of people will play a flopped set like this.

Bob T.
04-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Probably a good fold. When he springs to life on the turn, you have to think that he may have made at least two pair. Of course a set, and a straight are also possible here. He also might have had a pair, and a flush draw.

You have to make a choice here, and you probably can't fold to his first bet, for image considerations at least. Your Could call him down, he might have the flush draw, or he might have just snapped a synapse, and decide to bet. Your other choice would be to raise, and reevaluate after further information. You chose to raise, and that was fine. Your reevaluation was probably accurrate. If you had called him down, instead of raising, you would have found out what he had, and how he got there for the same price.

It is strange that he came to life with a bet, instead of a checkraise. That might have led me to raise here also.

anatta
04-04-2003, 06:49 PM
I agree, it is weird...There is only one A5s (diamonds) that he could have, why would 55 take one off? 45s UTG? Nonetheless this is micro-limits - anything is possible and from the betting obviously it looks like you need help. Its rare that a player would make a move on you this strong at that limit without at least two pair. I can see an opponent check raising the turn if he thinks you will fold, but a bet and a three-bet means he has the goods.

Against A5 you have 6 outs (7:1). Against 45 you have 8 outs (5:1). Since you are getting 8.5:1, you have the odds to take one off on the turn vs two pair. I would probably call the turn and then the river, but you are probably beat if you don't improve unless he's a really aggressive player. Its close, he could have a set. So I don't think it was a weak fold.

elysium
04-04-2003, 07:40 PM
hi bvaughn
he had 99 or 44. remember that when your opponent check-calls on the flop, and then comes to life on the turn, he usually has a fairly strong hand. on the turn you should call.

Bob T.
04-05-2003, 05:03 AM
This exact sequence happened to me tonight in an online 3-6 game. I called my opponent down, and he had Pocket 5s. If your opponent also had pocket fives, nice fold.