PDA

View Full Version : $55s Hand Problem

glengarry
08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Background: Hero began tourney conveniently looking like a maniac without taking any chances, but for the last 14-17 hands has played tight, making very few steal chances (lots of 8-4o), even on the bubble. When in hands, Hero has played aggressively, especially in position.

SB appears to be a smart, observant, patient, somewhat aggressive player. Even when Hero was playing loose, SB was able to lay down hands. SB has successfully played more aggressively from 5 players to current bubble, but still willing to fold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t2400)
SB (t4940)
Hero (t3320)
UTG (t2840)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero raises to t600</font>, SB calls t300.

Flop: (t80) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, SB calls t600.

Turn: (t80) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero does what?

tigerite
08-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Hero pushes preflop and it is not close whatsoever. Your min raise sucked. Sorry.

Ixnert
08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero pushes preflop and it is not close whatsoever. Your min raise sucked. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least a real raise, if you actually like playing post-flop. (I'm pushing, but you have enough of a stack that you don't absolutely have to.) Make it 1000, minimum.

KyleH186
08-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Push preflop. Your beat by an 8 or a 2, he couldnt resist the pot odds u gave him with your min raise.

tech
08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero pushes preflop and it is not close whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the minraise stinks, but I don't think checking is bad at all (with the intention of taking the pot postflop). I see a lot of big stacks look people up here just because they don't like to be bullied.

glengarry
08-22-2005, 06:26 PM
I do appreciate the comments, but does anyone have comments on how to play the turn here, even assuming I misplayed pre-flop?

As to the comments: sure, I could push pre-flop, and I might have from the SB, and would 20-25% from the BB, but I don't mind playing a very good hand, in position, even on the bubble. The raise was small, but I like to vary the raise and raise only 2x BB or call about 20-25% of the time to disguise the hand. I think that with a small raise or check, when an Ace comes on the flop, opponents often won't think you have an Ace and will pay you off. With A-Q, my only real worries are 2 pair -- admittedly more likely with a small raise --, A-K, or a set. A-K or a set are much less likely than usual considering the small field and his pre-flop play.

PokerProdigy
08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't like the min raise preflop, so I think you should have made it 900 (3 times the big blind) preflop because min raises can make it harder to play your hand the rest of the hand. I like betting out on the flop to see if you can pick it up and as a continuation bet. But considering the way you played it all the way through on the turn I would probably go all in as a semi-bluff because it would be a tough decision for SB to make with lots of hands.

bigt439
08-22-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with him and I don't think this play postflop argument is a valid one at all. You hit 1/3 times, exploit the hand now while you're strong. I think it's a big mistake not to push. You have yet to tell us SB's action on the turn. I fold to a bet, and check behind. I re-evaluate on the river. I'm more scared of any pp than a 2 or 8.

tech
08-23-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You hit 1/3 times, exploit the hand now while you're strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I forgot that you can't bet when you don't hit. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Isura
08-23-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Make it 1000, minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say maximum 1000. Raise &lt; 1000 or push.

yeau2
08-23-2005, 01:54 AM
If you say he's an observant, patient player...realistically what do you put him on then?

Pete H
08-23-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you say he's an observant, patient player...realistically what do you put him on then?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he thinks hero is LAGgy, villain might be trapping with an overpair. Most likely KK.

Newt_Buggs
08-23-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hmmm, lets say it folds to the SB and SB examines what to do with his K9o. He's chip leader on the bubble, but his opponent has 11BB making a push feel like overkill. If he raises 2-3 BB he will have to fold to a reraise against this crazy maniac in the BB, and if he just gets called he has to play in a raised pot OOP on the bubble with a weak hand. The hand is still too far ahead of a random hand to lay down, so SB decides to complete which keeps the pot small and invests a minimal amount.

I would never played a hand like K9 this way from the SB, but sound sensible even though its flawed logic, right?

oh yeah, you missed a push pf OP.