PDA

View Full Version : Grounding a 3/2 adapter?

handsome
08-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I bought 3/2 Grounding Adapter, which converts a 2 prong polarized outlet into a 3 prong grounded outlet. There's a metal tab at the bottom of it, with directions: "Connect tab to ground screw."

The problem is I plugged it into an extension cord. So now I'll move the extension cord the wrong way and my refrigerator will turn off. Any solutions?

astroglide
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
buy some life insurance and a fire extinguisher

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I use them all the time, and have never bothered grounding one except in on or two rare occasions when something will be permanently plugged there.

STLantny
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Is it becasue the metal tab is making it sit wrong? Or is it tripping the circuit breaker? If its sitting wrong/unpluggling, just rip the ground off with pliers, if it is tripping hte circuit, get some shielded wire, and connect it to the ground tab/run it to some water pipes.

Hiding
08-22-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if it is tripping hte circuit, get some shielded wire, and connect it to the ground tab/run it to some water pipes

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is tripping the circuit you have a problem. The ground is made to trip the breaker, and is actually connected to the neutral in the breaker box. It is a safety backup only, not neccessary to run something like an appliance, while a computer may use it for noise shielding.

If you are tripping the breaker, you are either overloading the circuit or somewhere you have a short. I'd find out which and fix it, soon

handsome
08-22-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if it is tripping hte circuit, get some shielded wire, and connect it to the ground tab/run it to some water pipes

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is tripping the circuit you have a problem. The ground is made to trip the breaker, and is actually connected to the neutral in the breaker box. It is a safety backup only, not neccessary to run something like an appliance, while a computer may use it for noise shielding.

If you are tripping the breaker, you are either overloading the circuit or somewhere you have a short. I'd find out which and fix it, soon

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf does "tripping the breaker" mean? I'm not overloading the circuit because I've kept it on for over 2 days now.

STLantny
08-22-2005, 01:33 PM
It means that its a serious problem if your breaker panel keeps flippin. But it seems its becasue the thing isnt sitting right in the plug because of the tab. Just rip it off with some pliers.

handsome
08-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Anyway I pulled out half of the tab and had to twist it off because it wasn't coming out any further. It's working fine now and my fridge doesn't turn off when I move the extension cord now. I hope this doesn't burn my entire apartment down.

mmbt0ne
08-22-2005, 01:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
It means that its a serious problem if your breaker panel keeps flippin. But it seems its becasue the thing isnt sitting right in the plug because of the tab. Just rip it off with some pliers.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

CrashPat
08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Why don't you plug the 3/2 adapter into the wall and go buy a good 3 wire extension cord?

or you can just burn your house/apt down I guess.

CORed
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Get a 3 wire extension cord (16 guage or better for a refrigerator), plug the adaptor into the outlet and use the grounding screw. Better would be to hire an electrician to install a grounded outlet.

CORed
08-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Running the refrigerator on a two wire cord won't burn the house down, but it does increase the risk of electric shock if an electiral defect or spilled liquid connects a hot wire to the metal refrigerator cabinet. The purpose of the third wire is to ground the metal that you touch, so that if the hot wire does connect to the body of the appliance, it will short and trip the breaker.

astroglide
08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
buy some life insurance and a fire extinguisher

[/ QUOTE ]