PDA

View Full Version : Gigabet's inspiration is not making me any friends (low content)

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 12:08 PM
8 left in a one table sng. Blinds 15/30. I'm in middle/late position with JTc. Three limpers to me so I limp. Super short stack (67 or so) raises all-in. Another smooth call, both blinds and all limpers call. I think here would be nice to get it heads up with a bunch of dead money. I raise to 800 (leaving 1300 or so). All fold. I proceed to lose the hand to the short stack's A7 or whatever.
Wow is everyone pissed. "I would of hit the flush. I woulda won you ****!"
"Why would you do that?" "Do you know each other *******?" A bunch of people telling me what I should of done in that situation.
A lot more asterisks. For the rest of the tournament. I laugh. I say it's my lucky hand.
Needless to say I got paid off on all of my big hands.
But nobody liked me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Yugoslavian
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
What's Gigabet got to do with this?!

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just make sure to take into account the table's view of you into your decisions and you will be fine after pissing them off.

Yugoslav

Sciolist
08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
8 handed? Who cares if someone is knocked out or not? This isn't a check down situation. I guess it's nice to see people whine though :]

08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Needless to say I got paid off on all of my big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

OWNED!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOO

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8 handed? Who cares if someone is knocked out or not? This isn't a check down situation. I guess it's nice to see people whine though :]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started typing in an explanation of this and then realized I'd be better off having them think I was a moron.

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just make sure to take into account the table's view of you into your decisions and you will be fine after pissing them off.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Because before I read his posts I would of never done this.

TheNoodleMan
08-22-2005, 02:33 PM
[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] Use the Search Function
[ ] It's Just Variance
[ ] Your Sample Size is Too Small
[ ] This is a Bad Beat Post!
[X] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[X] Fold Preflop
[x] you are not gigabet!

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 02:37 PM
You did this at what buy-in?

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[X] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[X] Fold Preflop
[x] you are not gigabet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, disagree, agree
Were you at the table?

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You did this at what buy-in?

[/ QUOTE ]

10+1 british pounds

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
ANd yes, i realize this is different from the "Gigabet Dillema" somewhat and that much of what he does will not work at all at the limits I play, that's why I said "inspiration"

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I just don't see how this move is EV at this level. I can understand it at a higher level, but still dangerous.

You have to have a full understanding of all the factors involved in order to play like this, and you have to maintain it throughout the tourny. I am not saying you don't understand. For all I know you may be a poker god, but if not than I reccomend that you re-think your line here for future games.

Glad it worked out for you, and sorry if I come off as...
<font color="white"> It was SOOOOOOOOTED!!!!!</font>

yvesaint
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't think you can apply anything 'Gigabet'-ish (whatever that means) at the 11s.

Jbrochu
08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like the play. After villian raised, all the limpers who just might have limped with a monster hoping to re-raise passed on their chance.

downtown
08-22-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[X] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[X] Fold Preflop
[x] you are not gigabet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, that's a good addition.

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see how this move is EV at this level. I can understand it at a higher level, but still dangerous.

You have to have a full understanding of all the factors involved in order to play like this, and you have to maintain it throughout the tourny. I am not saying you don't understand. For all I know you may be a poker god, but if not than I reccomend that you re-think your line here for future games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mainly did it because it was a passive table and all 8 people were in (!). However I think it was +EV b/c there was over 500 in the pot that I could have a shot at for 67 chips if no one called my raise.
Even if I got called I at least have a decent suited connector.
I posted the original post because I was amused how much hostility I got from the other players. I see now I was wrong to use "Gigabet" in the title but he definitely has influenced my play. As I said, most of his stuff would never work at my level but some does.

Ixnert
08-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I love this play at a higher buyin (even just 20+2), but at the 10s you're often going to get someone calling because they think their pair of eights is the immortal nuts. That's not to say that you can't make plays at that level, I'm just not sure that with five or so limpers/min-raise-callers is the time.

downtown
08-22-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mainly did it because it was a passive table and all 8 people were in (!). However I think it was +EV b/c there was over 500 in the pot that I could have a shot at for 67 chips if no one called my raise.
Even if I got called I at least have a decent suited connector.
I posted the original post because I was amused how much hostility I got from the other players. I see now I was wrong to use "Gigabet" in the title but he definitely has influenced my play. As I said, most of his stuff would never work at my level but some does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're probably getting a lot of resistance, because the first thing I thought when I looked at this post is "why not just play simple, ABC poker + work on your push/fold strategy at the bubble to beat the 11s?"

mackthefork
08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is fine, standard even? Estimate his CEV from this move is at least +200 chips.

Mack

Jbrochu
08-22-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love this play at a higher buyin (even just 20+2), but at the 10s you're often going to get someone calling because they think their pair of eights is the immortal nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really such a bad thing? He would be in a coin flip situation getting 2.5-to-1 for his money. If he wins, he has a huge stack. If he loses, I think he said he would have 1300 left with the big blind at 30.

The worst case would be that a stack who has him covered pushes. I think that is a tiny risk though since they all declined to re-raise when given the opportunity.

Rduke55
08-22-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love this play at a higher buyin (even just 20+2), but at the 10s you're often going to get someone calling because they think their pair of eights is the immortal nuts. That's not to say that you can't make plays at that level, I'm just not sure that with five or so limpers/min-raise-callers is the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is 10+1 in pounds so it's about $20.

Wes ManTooth
08-22-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ANd yes, i realize this is different from the "Gigabet Dillema" somewhat and that much of what he does will not work at all at the limits I play, that's why I said "inspiration"

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should look at other sources for "inspiration"

The Yugoslavian
08-22-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe you should look at other sources for "inspiration"

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone looking for 'inspiration'?

Hmmm....I may know of a muse who can help out with that:

http://people.freenet.de/bananenweizen/originalimages/Tux31_405_Josie_Maran.jpg

Yugoslav

Jbrochu
08-22-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that really such a bad thing? He would be in a coin flip situation getting 2.5-to-1 for his money. If he wins, he has a huge stack. If he loses, I think he said he would have 1300 left with the big blind at 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should read "1.5-to-1." Sorry, it was too late to edit my dumb mistake.

08-22-2005, 09:09 PM
This play is fine. I think its pretty likely he's not going to be called, a big pair is almost always going to reraise to thin the field after shortstack pushes. Being openminded and making unconventional plays can be okay even at a 10 pound = 20 dollar table

bluefeet
08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
same chick.....

someone needs a avatar (bonus, she's holding cards!):

http://www.fanclub.ro/p/modules/MOD_GALLERY/pictures/mod/pic22824.jpg

Pete H
08-22-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was just a clever plot to make you open this thread and post a droolable babe pic.

Seemed to work.

Oluwafemi
08-22-2005, 10:43 PM
see this is what happens when you have Gigabet coining a "dilemma" named after him which justifies him pushing with Q 3o preflop in a multi-way pot because he sees chips and stacks in "blocks" and he plays in $1065 buy-in SNGs--- to say the least.

i've always said, if it's a good player justifying making a ludacris play and being able to explain it away--- people will eat it up. however; if the same play is made at a lower buy-in SNG like an $11, people will call it exactly what it is [ludicrous] and say, "well, you're not Gigabet" . if the play is dumb at $11, it's dumb at $1065. the only difference is the $1065 player is able to explain his reasoning behind his dumbness more intelligently.

08-22-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if the play is dumb at $11, it's dumb at $1065.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, all wrong. Are you telling me that an average $11 player and an average $1065 player will have the same thought process? I think not, which is why you are able to take advantage of different situations at different levels.

Gigabet
08-22-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

see this is what happens when you have Gigabet coining a "dilemma" named after him which justifies him pushing with Q 3o preflop in a multi-way pot because he sees chips and stacks in "blocks" and he plays in $1065 buy-in SNGs--- to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't coin the phrase.

Oluwafemi
08-22-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the play is dumb at $11, it's dumb at $1065.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, all wrong. Are you telling me that an average $11 player and an average $1065 player will have the same thought process? I think not, which is why you are able to take advantage of different situations at different levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

but we're not talking about having the same thought process; we're talking about making dumb plays. go and pull the archives on Gigabet's hand and take a look at it. it's no amount of reasoning that's gonna make me see that hand he played as a stroke of genuis. the later effects of the hand may have had some merits to it but it's the [here-and-now] of that hand [the result of him winning it] that made his explaination to play it seem worthwhile. the proof is in the pudding. he's gonna get more credit for the play because of the level he plays. i play $5.50s and $11s. i guarantee if i explained it the same way he did, i would've got flamed for it.

having a more advanced thought process and being able to explain your reasoning more effectively and eloquently does'nt make up for the matter that it's a horrible play that worked out in your favor. take that play, change the result, and have him not cash in the SNG. i doubt very seriously that he would have tried to even post a thread justifying playing the hand at all. the fact that he won the hand it's what caused it to even see the light of day on these forums.

08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go and pull the archives on Gigabet's hand and take a look at it

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lazy...link?

Oluwafemi
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't coin the phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

the first time i ever saw the "Gigabet Dilemma" was when you started the thread about your Q 3o hand with it in the title.
even if you did'nt coin it, there's no such thing. people play hands like this the way you did all the time and get lucky. there's nothing "Gigabetish" or "Dilemma" about it. trash is trash. if you win with it, lucky for you, but to put your name in it as if, [Eureka!] , it's the next thing since E=MC [squared] is crazy.

John Hurst
08-22-2005, 11:47 PM
I think your allin is getting called way too often for this to be +EV. Sometimes I go allin every hand of a $5+$1. About 1/3 of the time I get called on the first hand.

08-23-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I go allin every hand of a $5+$1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds exciting, and extremely -EV. Wanna invite me the next time you feel like donating.

HighestCard
08-23-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I go allin every hand of a $5+$1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds exciting, and extremely -EV. Wanna invite me the next time you feel like donating.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didnt notice the guys avitar, it was full of Texas University things.
Hence the not to brilliant pushing...

Oh and btw, saw em' off, gig em', WHOOP! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jon462
08-23-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your allin is getting called way too often for this to be +EV. Sometimes I go allin every hand of a $5+$1. About 1/3 of the time I get called on the first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha you blow off steam from bad beats the same way I do. Maybe I will see you on one one day and we can donk away at each other :&gt;

Dylan Wade
08-23-2005, 12:39 AM
who cares if anyone likes you. i turn off my chat.. but i must admit I always turn it back on after I pwn somoene really hard with a river just for a second to see what stupid [censored] they said. rofl

Oluwafemi
08-23-2005, 09:34 AM
maybe you guys are the ones that's been killing me on the river with 3 outers on the flop all-in when a clearly sane individual knows they're beat. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rduke55
08-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I wasn't all-in, I had 1300 behind.

Jbrochu
08-23-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but we're not talking about having the same thought process; we're talking about making dumb plays. go and pull the archives on Gigabet's hand and take a look at it. it's no amount of reasoning that's gonna make me see that hand he played as a stroke of genuis.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I play home game tournaments with blind structures similar to SNG's with my casual poker poker-playing buddies, and get caught all-in with trash late (when clearly it's the correct +EV move), no amount of explaining the concept ever seems to sink in. All they can grasp is that I went all-in with two crappy cards and they see it as a dumb play. (BTW - I only try to explain what I'm doing to good friends I'm trying to teach.)

I'm not saying you are wrong for sure about the particular hand in question, but wouldn't you agree that clearly my friends are wrong about concepts we take for granted?