PDA

View Full Version : Contribution to the Forum

Jman28
08-22-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm bored, and I thought this may be a good idea for a thread. Let me know if I'm wrong (which is kinda what this thread is about).

Here's the idea. Tell us what you think you bring to the forum: strengths, weaknesses, whatever. Then, once people have posted, tell them what you think they could do to improve their contribution to the forum. Don't say something dumb like "stop being stupid" or "go away" even if it is deserved.

For example, you might say to someone: "I like your responses to specific hand histories, but you seem to never post much thinking, just your actions. I'd really like to know the thought process behind the moves you suggest."

So yeah. Anyone who posts in this thread volunteers to be critiqued (I don't like that word, but I can't think of a better way to put it). Please do not post in this thread if you can't take criticism. Also, please do not post criticism on anyone who does not post in this thread. They have not volunteered. Again, keep it civilized. The point is to improve the forums, and not to let everyone know who you don't like.

So, me first:

I think that I am a pretty good poker player/thinker. I try to post my thoughts when I can, although sometimes I could go into more detail.

I've only been playing seriously for about a year, and I am not the best student of the game. That is, I think about the game a lot, but I don't do much to study it, if that makes sense. I don't review my own HHs enough, read enough, or calculate equity of plays enough. However, I'm good at thinking on my feet.

Because of all this, I rarely know the 'standard' play for a situation. I often just figure it out when I get there. I actually sit there and think for a while often in spots where many posters would make an automatic bet/raise/fold. This has worked well for me, but on occasion I will make an incorrect play where the correct play is fairly obvious to most people who've seen the situation over and over again, or read about the concept in a book or post. Because of this, I don't do enough posting on HH's before seeing some other responses first. I'm a little embarrased that I may post a suggestion that is completely wrong and obvious to most experienced posters. It would probably be good for me if I would post before 'making sure it's safe' and be corrected a couple times. It may be good to let other posters know it's okay to make mistakes. I guess it would also help if I read more, studied HHs more, and made time go faster so that I would have a few years experience.

I think I am fairly good at presenting my thoughts in a way that generates discussion, rather than ends it. I like to talk about poker (I guess most of us do), which is an important quality for a poster to have.

I can't think of much else now. So yeah. Tell me what I do wrong (but nicely) and let's see if this post catches on.

Oh and if you have nothing to say about me, either because you don't remember or read my posts or whatever, don't go studying my posts or making something up to tell me. You are welcome to post about yourself without critiquing (eww) anyone in the thread.

Also feel free to make general notes about the way the forum works(but not about people who haven't posted in this thread) and things you think might improve it.

When someone critiques you, please do not make a series of post back and forth defending yourself. This could quickly turn into a flame war, in which case I will PM citanul and ask that he lock the thread. I don't want that to happen. If you think you might be apt to get into a fight over something someone says about you, don't post in this thread.

Let's do it.

Daliman
08-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Stop being stupid and go away.

Jman28
08-22-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, You are such a weiner. And so predictable.

Also, I hope you realize that now someone's gonna post a criticism about you, which we both know you will respond to angrily.

*sigh* This thread is gonna be locked so fast.

skipperbob
08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No: I love "Jman"...his posts are wonderful....Daliman = eat poop & stab someone /images/graemlins/frown.gif

gumpzilla
08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
I think what I should do - which I anticipate will happen in a week when I switch over to my new advisor and I'm in a lab all day - is post less and play more. Perhaps this itself will be viewed as a contribution to the forum.

Jman28
08-22-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No: I love "Jman"...his posts are wonderful....Daliman = eat poop & stab someone /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the support, SFB. I think Dali's just mad because I bet against him for the STTF-HUC. So mad that he even took the bet!... with clearly the worst of it. (unless he thinks he's good at poker or something)

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kinda what I was thinking...

I love drama as much as the next guy, but this does have potential for becoming chaos.

For the record
I am

Arrogant
Pridefull
Tilty
Not nearly as funny as I think I am
Lazy
Junkie
Bad Beat poster

The only thing I really bring here is an example of what not to do. At least my spelling and grammer are perfect in every post.

<font color="white"> Sometimes I put sekret messages for the observant down here, but not often enough to search through my old posts for it. I keep meaning to make this my trademark, but as mentioned above. I am a lazy pot head</font>

pooh74
08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kinda what I was thinking...

I love drama as much as the next guy, but this does have potential for becoming chaos.

For the record
I am

Arrogant
Pridefull
Tilty
Not nearly as funny as I think I am
Lazy
Junkie
Bad Beat poster

The only thing I really bring here is an example of what not to do. At least my spelling and grammer are perfect in every post.

<font color="white"> Sometimes I put sekret messages for the observant down here, but not often enough to search through my old posts for it. I keep meaning to make this my trademark, but as mentioned above. I am a lazy pot head</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

how funny do you think you are? I think you're pretty funny...but if you think you're like "Carrot Top funny" then I'd agree you're not as funny as you think you are.

Does that make sense? I feel like I added.

gumpzilla
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

how funny do you think you are? I think you're pretty funny...but if you think you're like "Carrot Top funny" then I'd agree you're not as funny as you think you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that this is a goal that nobody in this forum is aspiring to.

pooh74
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that this is a goal that nobody in this forum is aspiring to.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop hatin

mlagoo
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm good at helping very bad 11s and 22s players become mediocre 11s and 22s players by telling them to push.

eastbay
08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me.

eastbay

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Its only 9AM and I am already screaming "Jesus Mother F..ing Christ all God damn mighty" at my monitor and making whine posts (this one) in threads that are completely off topic.

Some of the jokes I tell are strictly for my amusment only. I honestly don't expect anyone to understand them all. If you can't find the humor in that then you never will. That most likely makes you happy. It makes me laugh.

<font color="white"> My apologies for taking the lords name in vein to such great lengths. Everyone needs a catch phrase though.</font>

microbet
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm just as sensitive and defensive as the next guy, unless the next guy happens to be, well, I'd say, but he's so sensitive and defensive. Anyway, I volunteer myself for a critique.

I was going to comment on all who had posted, but it seemed too mean to say "who the hell are you?"

<font color="white">I know you are going to respond: "who the hell are you?"</font>

microbet
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
2 out of 3 aren't bad.

gumpzilla
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 out of 3 aren't bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying eastbay isn't good?

microbet
08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Obviously he's not smart.

08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least my spelling and grammer are perfect in every post.

[/ QUOTE ]I wonder how many unintentional misspellings in a sentence like that are assumed to be intentional. But speaking of grammar, when did it become so common for people to write "could of" or "would of" when they mean "could have" or "would have"?

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At least my spelling and grammer are perfect in every post.

[/ QUOTE ]I wonder how many unintentional misspellings in a sentence like that are assumed to be intentional. But speaking of grammar, when did it become so common for people to write "could of" or "would of" when they mean "could have" or "would have"?

[/ QUOTE ]

who said ANY were intentional? ok ok sekret was intentional.

I am only making fun of myself before irieguy gets on me.
<font color="white"> I can't keep track anymore. I see people I don't know and see that they have more posts then I do. Who the hell is eastbay?</font>

gumpzilla
08-22-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many unintentional misspellings in a sentence like that are assumed to be intentional. But speaking of grammar, when did it become so common for people to write "could of" or "would of" when they mean "could have" or "would have"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I hate that, and it's really common.

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many unintentional misspellings in a sentence like that are assumed to be intentional. But speaking of grammar, when did it become so common for people to write "could of" or "would of" when they mean "could have" or "would have"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I hate that, and it's really common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate it all you want. Language doesnt stay the same. It evolves. If it didnt we would all still be speaking Olde English.(or another language all together) The interent has changed English quit a bit.

Does this mean that some day "could of" will become a permanent substitute as correct grammar in 100 years? It certainly isn't unlikely.

Any non Native English speaker will tell you how backwards and downright retarded this language is.
<font color="white"> English aint gonna stay the same.</font>

PrayingMantis
08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Occasionally I manage to point out perspectives that people often miss.

Sometimes I seem to be over-aggressive and judgemental, but part of it is due to cultural differences, I believe (although there are a few Americans around here who have the same tendencies... /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Edit: oh, and I have spelling mistakes, but I have a good excuse: it's not my damm language. :-)

gumpzilla
08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The interent has changed English quit a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently more than I realized.

"could of" isn't some kind of new coinage, it's just people not realizing that when they are saying "could've" it's a contraction of "could have."

Gramps
08-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm good at reading a post, typing up a detailed 3 paragraph response pointing out the fallacy of logic in the line taken, then right before hitting the "Submit" button rereading the original post and realizing I misread the post, and there's some additional variable that makes my whole analysis incorrect.

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"could of" isn't some kind of new coinage, it's just people not realizing that when they are saying "could've" it's a contraction of "could have."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... This is how it happens.(one way) Spoken word and writen word change wach other. Advertising is another. From what I understand it is intentional in advertising too. It is more then just having a cute name. The intentional errors create a more memorable image in your brain because when you read it it creates errors in your brain. Your brain will auto think about it a few times over soaking it in.
<font color="white"> Yes, I pulled that out of my ass, but I still stand by all of it. </font>

The Yugoslavian
08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't contribute jack shizzy to the forum, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

http://people.freenet.de/bacardi_cola/originalimages/Tux31_312_Brooke_Burke.jpg

Yugoslav

PrayingMantis
08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Good post.

The Yugoslavian
08-22-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... This is how it happens.(one way) Spoken word and writen word change wach other. Advertising is another. From what I understand it is intentional in advertising too. It is more then just having a cute name. The intentional errors create a more memorable image in your brain because when you read it it creates errors in your brain. Your brain will auto think about it a few times over soaking it in.
<font color="white"> Yes, I pulled that out of my ass, but I still stand by all of it. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This surely would explain part of the 'Raptor Phenomenon.' /images/graemlins/wink.gif

And why he has so many jockers and hataz alike (although most of his haters are friends, too, /images/graemlins/confused.gif).

Yugoslav

YourFoxyGrandma
08-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I respond to alot of n00b posts and I think I do a pretty good job there. I'm wrong alot though, and I usually defend myself when I should really just give it up.

bones
08-22-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm a top-notch sweater.

<font color="white"> That's all. </font>

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a top-notch sweater.

<font color="white"> That's all. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Like an Armani?

axeshigh
08-22-2005, 02:31 PM
I have been called a troll by world-class poster SIGMA-something-or-other earlier this week. I hope my almost clever trolling abilities are appreciated by a few.

Regards,

*Axes*high

Daliman
08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, You are such a weiner. And so predictable.

Also, I hope you realize that now someone's gonna post a criticism about you, which we both know you will respond to angrily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to dissapoint my endless throng of fans. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

stupidsucker
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
lmfao.... I just now noticed Dalimans title...

wtf... why haven't I earned that title yet? jmfcam I am even whining about this.
<font color="white"> Yes, I will whine if I actualy receive this title. I wanna be a Pooh-Bah. Then life has meaning</font>

bones
08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like an Armani?

[/ QUOTE ]

Coogi, baby. Like Bill Cosby on father's day.

skipperbob
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gifYea, Though I walk thru the Valley of Death;
I shall fear no Evil:
For I am the Funniest "MF'er" that ever strode this shithole of a Valley /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jman28
08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Jman, usually you have some interesting things to say, but this thread was a terrible idea.

johnnybeef
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
I contribute the good looks to this forum, as from what I have seen, we are an ugly bunch.