PDA

View Full Version : TT in late position.

08-22-2005, 06:06 AM
How do I play TT from late position?
I know I'm supposed to raise but I don't see the point since I wont scare anyone off.
In micro limit no one folds that has already put chips in the pot once.

So basicly I'm raising and hoping to hit a set which is 1:23.5

Advice please =)

@bsolute_luck
08-22-2005, 06:15 AM
it's because you are looking at your TT the wrong way based on your "scare anyone off" comment.

you have the best hand right now, make them pay to draw. in addition to the times you will hit a set, there are the times the flop will miss everyone, and there are times when an Ace will fall and no one will have one and you'll take the pot with your bet. a final consideration is you want the pot to be big for when you flop your set to make up for the few bets you put in and missed your set and get sucked out on.

begin to see past your fear of being sucked out on.

Webster
08-22-2005, 07:17 AM
@bsolute_luck is correct - hands line pocket tens is where the "gambling" in hold'm comes in. It's no longer just a math game (well sort of but . . .)

I have raised in 89% of the time out of 522 pocket tens and it's a 0.63BB/100 winner.

cold called 4.4% which SO FAR seems OK. With 216 instances of cold calling with pocket pairs I'm a 0.46BB/100 winner - ONLY TT, 22 and 44 are losers LOL Not sure what I was thinking with 22 and 44 - perhaps a lot of people in the pot.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

Swax
08-22-2005, 07:25 AM
TT was the most confounding hand for me when I first started. In fact, I think that one of my first posts on here was the exact same question!

However, after playing for a while, I realized how important raising it really is.

First of all, hitting a set is definitely not 23.5:1!! I think it's about 7.5:1 (someone feel free to correct me) - so we'll say 12% as an approximation. Also, you will see a flop with no overcards to the 10's 30.5% of the time. Therefore, assuming that there's no higher pockets than your tens, a decent assumption if no one has raised in front of you, you'll see a favorable flop over 42% of the time! that's definitely a high enough percentage to raise.

08-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So basicly, sometimes I do scare someome off since they might think I have AK or AA. Sometimes I have the best hand since no one else paired. And of course the chance to get a set.

Does that make sense?

GTSamIAm
08-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Easy value raise. You probably have the best hand, and there are a ton of boards that can come where you have huge equity.

broadcrawford
08-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Flopping a set is an 8/1 remember there are three cards so divide by three. I used to make the mistake when I first started! This is why you can raise and call with mediuem to small pocket pairs in late position. You are getting odds to hit your set and see what everyone is going to do in front of you!

jrz1972
08-22-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply.
So basicly, sometimes I do scare someome off since they might think I have AK or AA. Sometimes I have the best hand since no one else paired. And of course the chance to get a set.

Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not why you're raising. You're raising TT because you will win the pot far more than your fair share of the time, so every bet that goes in preflop is (theoretically) money in your pocket.

Whether you scare anyone off or not is basically irrelevant. If button or the blinds want to call you with garbage, that should be fine with you.

SCfuji
08-22-2005, 09:31 AM
moster

[ QUOTE ]
but I don't see the point since I wont scare anyone off.

[/ QUOTE ]

the purpose of the raise is not to scare anybody off their hand.

[ QUOTE ]
In micro limit no one folds that has already put chips in the pot once.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks to these people i have bought many nice things for myself.

[ QUOTE ]
So basicly I'm raising and hoping to hit a set which is 1:23.5

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong street dude!

now that the easy preflop garble is settled, how about some postflop?

.5/1 party full ring

1 bad limper, you pop with black tens, 1 cold caller, big blind and bad limper call.

4 to the flop for about four big bets Kd 3s 6c
bad limper checks, you?

flop thoughts in white:
<font color="white">you need to bet this hand. its psuedo obligatory, pseudo representing the king, pseudo you have the best hand right now and would puke if you saw a jack or a queen.

you bet, cold caller and bad limper call, other dude folds .

turn 2s for some more money </font>

turn thoughts in white:
<font color="white"> this card doesn't change anything unless those bastards caught the open ender with 45 or bottomset222. this bet isnt obligatory as much as it was on the flop. now its because the others havent shown any kind of strength and i am sure that hero now has the best hand so we bet for value. spades, aces, jacks, queens on the river would suck.

river Kc for x.yz bb </font>

river thoughts in white

<font color="white">we win, bet for value. ive never said this but im going to because its cool and hip: "do you see why?" </font>