PDA

View Full Version : Party asking to change name

J_B
08-22-2005, 05:28 AM
This is new. Had the same screen name for nearly a year. Now they want me to change. O well, maybe something more offensive this time. This just came out of no where.

------
Dear Mr_G,

Thank you for contacting us.

While reviewing account information we came across what has been deemed to be an offensive screen name associated with your account. In order to maintain a pleasant environment for all our players we need to ask you to change your screen name. You may do this through the "My Account" section of the website or you may email us back with three names of your choice and we will have your screen name changed for you.

Thank you for helping us maintain a positive atmosphere on our tables.

Note: Please do not disclose your password to any individual/organization claiming to represent us. We will never ask you for the password to your account. If you receive any email or phone call from anyone requesting you to provide your password please report it to us immediately.

Our Customer Care Department is available 24/7 to assist you via email.

Thank you for choosing us as your online gaming site!

Sirisha
Poker Customer Care

___SK___
08-22-2005, 06:04 AM
alright, well whats/was your screenname?

Matty
08-22-2005, 06:06 AM
1) Don't tease

2) I must say I've watched your avatar at least a hundred times over the last month, and never without a smile.

___SK___
08-22-2005, 06:18 AM
there are actually a few variations of that avatar so it leads me to believe its not real.

i've seen one penguin tripping the other as well as this one.

timprov
08-22-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there are actually a few variations of that avatar so it leads me to believe its not real.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not real; that penguin on the right is using a joint that penguins don't have. But it's still amusing.

mattw
08-22-2005, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not real; that penguin on the right is using a joint that penguins don't have. But it's still amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker players have such a wide knowledge base. gotta luv it. or are you bluffing. i call.

siccjay
08-22-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG NOOOOOOOO ITS NOT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL!!!!!

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

TheIrishThug
08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
well, this thread lasted a goof 1.5 replies before it got hijacked.

i could careless if it was real, it's still great.

BruinEric
08-22-2005, 01:46 PM
As the prude here, I'm glad they're doing this. Heck -- it's their property, so if they don't like an online nick as innocuous "PokerPlayer" then they have every right to ask the player to change it.

Nevertheless, we've all seen extremely crude nicks with references to sodomy, etc. Part of being a "good player" IMHO is making the table atmosphere welcoming to the casual player. We all want the once-or-twice-a-month player to continue to play poker.

speirs
08-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Now, all penguins aside, what was your screenname? If you don't want to tell it, what does it rhyme with? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

o0mr_bill0o
08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
you seriously need to tell us what your screenname was.

J_B
09-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Screen name was Gestapo. I told them I wouldnt change it without getting 25% (word forbidden) and permanent bump to their silver category. They of course said, no. I in turn said no.

Funny thing is, I was going to change my name anyhow. Now it will stay.

This seems to have resulted at least in part due to someone at a table I sat down at. Guy cursed me out and left. A few hours later I received the above in the OP.

I have had this name for a year or so, never has in been a problem like this. 2 or 3 times over the course, someone has commented about it.

FWIW: I am not associated with anyone of whom you may assume a name like that would imply. I more feel that the term Gestapo is a term which encompases the idea of people (government) being able to do whatever they want how they want when they want, just like the path this country is headed down. (and unfortunately others too.) It also could throw someone on tilt which is +EV of course.

maybedinero
09-06-2005, 05:02 AM
What does 25% (word forbidden) mean?

J_B
09-06-2005, 05:03 AM
RB - the forbidden subject on this forum.

Equal
09-06-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does 25% (word forbidden) mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the blanked out word rhymes with "cake-back".

J_B
09-06-2005, 05:08 AM
lol, yeh.. mmmm cake

theblitz
09-06-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Screen name was Gestapo.
FWIW: I am not associated with anyone of whom you may assume a name like that would imply. I more feel that the term Gestapo is a term which encompases the idea of people (government) being able to do whatever they want how they want when they want, just like the path this country is headed down. (and unfortunately others too.) It also could throw someone on tilt which is +EV of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that, by the same logic, you could call yourself Al Q-Qaeda, bin Laden, KGB. I can think of a few others but wouldn't like to offend.

At least the player who was called "Pogrom" didn't know what it meant.

IggyWH
09-06-2005, 05:24 AM
You're on my buddylist you fish /images/graemlins/smile.gif

J_B
09-06-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I suppose that, by the same logic, you could call yourself Al Q-Qaeda, bin Laden, KGB. I can think of a few others but wouldn't like to offend.

At least the player who was called "Pogrom" didn't know what it meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and it's been talked about amongst me and my friends. In the end I decided that some of those were just too offensive and may attract too much attention. But, the idea i believe is sound. Your welcome to use them.

J_B
09-06-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're on my buddylist you fish /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, come into my parlor.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll be the big <*))))))))))))))>< sitting at the table.

maybedinero
09-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Well, KGB everyone just think you're another Rounders fish.

Duh, cake.

theblitz
09-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Just thought I would post a link and a quote for you:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERgestapo.htm

From the same page:

[ QUOTE ]
When the German Army occupied countries they were accompanied by the Gestapo. When on foreign duties they wore civilian clothes or SS uniforms. They were responsible for rounding up communists, partisans and Jews and others who were considered to be a threat to German rule. The Gestapo quickly developed a reputation for using brutal interrogation methods in order to obtain confessions.

At the Nuremberg War Crimes Trial the Gestapo was indicted for crimes against humanity. By this time most of its leaders were dead or like Heinrich Muller, had escaped capture by assuming another identity.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Small" note:
The phrase "rounding up" means loading them into trains and sending them to the gas chambers.

BruinEric
09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Screen name was Gestapo. I told them I wouldnt change it without getting 25%

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the screen name is in really poor taste. My opinion matters little, of course.

Your "angle" that it might put people on tilt and/or make some sort of socio-political statement isn't well thought out, IMHO. Could you imagine players wearing an armband with a swastika on it to their local cardroom?

On the other hand, the Party people have every right to ask you to change your name and then close your account when you don't comply. This is their property, not a public forum where you have an inalienable right to express yourself in any manner you see fit.

Best wishes to you.

lighterjobs
09-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Damn nazis taking over party.

sthief09
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I more feel that the term Gestapo is a term which encompases the idea of people (government) being able to do whatever they want how they want when they want, just like the path this country is headed down. (and unfortunately others too.) It also could throw someone on tilt which is +EV of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

bullshit

jb9
09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the screen name is in really poor taste. My opinion matters little, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fnord
09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and I might I add that we make the most money long term when the fish enjoy losing money to us and we create a healthy gamb00ling atmosphere.

Tapin
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Screen name was Gestapo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Y'know, I considered switching my name to "Bush_Lies" since I just hit my six months... now I'm kinda sad I didn't. I'd love to have a conversation with support about it.

HopeydaFish
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I more feel that the term Gestapo is a term which encompases the idea of people (government) being able to do whatever they want how they want when they want, just like the path this country is headed down. (and unfortunately others too.) It also could throw someone on tilt which is +EV of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

bullshit

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got me convinced. Tomorrow I create my new account named "Holocaust".

pokerjoker
09-07-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Screen name was Gestapo. I told them I wouldnt change it without getting 25% (word forbidden) and permanent bump to their silver category. They of course said, no. I in turn said no.

way to not [censored] around with party.

09-07-2005, 07:46 AM
they should have never accepted your screenname. I saw you playing and was wondering what kind of person chooses such a name....

cianosheehan
09-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Put people on tilt using your poker skills...dont try and employ cheap tricks like tapping into sensitive racial/religious parameters