PDA

View Full Version : Common Tell?

Gahnia radula
04-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Playing in several games I have noticed that some players when it is checked to them, they reach for there chips..and then hesitantly check themselves. (acting as if they want to raise)

In my experience I have found when a player does this they are attempting to act as if they have a hand, but clearly they dont.

Whenever I see a player do this when there are 3 or 2 players, and I am confident that the 3rd player does not have a hand, I bet into them straight away.

I have won pots in the past using this mannurism as a bluffing tell.

However, while playing heads up last week I noticed a player do this on the turn (it had been check on the flop).
So on the river I bet into him, he rerasied..I rerasied assuming he was continuing the bluff, he called and had the nut straight...he was trapping.

This has forced me to reconsider my interpritation of the manurism in question.

My question is has anyone else picked up on this tell. If so have they noticed it a bluffing or trapping tell?
I still feel that it is a bluffing tell, and was simply out played on that particular hand.

Any interpritation of the "tell" would be appriciated

Jeff V
04-04-2003, 01:00 PM
I've found this one to be player dependant. Some players do it when weak, and some when very strong. That's why it's important to watch their actions when you're not in the hand because I rarely see this one reversed. Jeff

Nottom
04-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I think in general against weaker opponents, you are most often correct with your instincts. However, like anything else, a strong observant opponent can use this to his advantage. If he also noticed this tell and saw how you re-acted to it, he very well might have used your observance against you.

Basically, tells like this are only as good as your opponent. Don't rely on them too much or they will get you in trouble, but if you have a somewhat close decision they are often enough to make one decision a bit more EV than it otherwise may be.

Trefo
04-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Usually your instinct was right there, but watch the player when your out of a hand and see if his tendency is too reverse. More times than not he's probably bluffing, but on a reraise i would be more concerned.

bernie
04-04-2003, 10:42 PM
yes, it's a common tell. it's not so much a bluffing tell as it is a 'please dont bet into me' tell. they usually want to see the next card cheap. this does, however, creates spots for which 'you' can bluff. as you did.

"However, while playing heads up last week I noticed a player do this on the turn (it had been check on the flop).
So on the river I bet into him, he rerasied..I rerasied assuming he was continuing the bluff, he called and had the nut straight...he was trapping."

whyd he only call and not cap? was the board paired? a flush possible? if there were any draws on the turn, he made a mistake not betting there and checking behind you. (if that was his position) but then again, he did get it back on the river.

b