PDA

View Full Version : Do you know anyone who would be a better poker player than you?

brick
08-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Do you know anyone, who does not currently play poker, who would be a better poker player than you if they played seriously?

What would make them better than you?

jayboo
08-22-2005, 02:01 AM
how the hell can you know if they don,t play. They could be a mathematicel genious with a bad gambling prob. They could read people like a book but not take the game seriously because they have no desire to win.
Too many variables.
Jay

brick
08-22-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Too many variables.

[/ QUOTE ]

The who point here is to think about these variables, and think about the people you know, and estimate wheather or not they have what it takes.

It's a thinking exercise and I'm curious about the results.

MicroBob
08-22-2005, 03:18 AM
I can think of 3 friends of mine from high-school who would definitely have a good shot of being a better player than me if they wanted to take up the game.

Really smart freaking guys who would have no problem handling the discipline.

One of them is a friend of mine since i was 9 or so who I haven't really kept up with but is easily the smartest person I have ever met.
Was trading on wall-street for awhile and doing quite well but he wasn't that thrilled with the lifestyle and has since moved to Japan I believe and is into old Japanese literature or something like that.
I believe he speaks 4 or 5 languages (and obviously Japanese is pretty tough stuff...as opposed to just knowing all the romance languages).

My Dad has commented 'you know...if Peter F. ever wanted to play poker he could probably be pretty good at it.'

I responded that there is no doubt in my mind that he would be better than me at the game in general...and the math specifically... in 2 months or less (and it isn't even close).

A couple others of that chess-club group from high-school could probably be better than me with a bit of effort at studying the game.
But they aren't quite the Good Will Hunting 'speed read and absorb knowledge on anything' type of genius that my friend Peter was.

08-22-2005, 04:28 AM
A friend of mine would definately be a better poker player (live) than I could ever be.
She could tell someone straight up that she is lying and still make them belive she is telling the truth.

SNOWBALL138
08-22-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine would definately be a better poker player (live) than I could ever be.
She could tell someone straight up that she is lying and still make them belive she is telling the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

That straightup makes no sense

mackthefork
08-22-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was trading on wall-street for awhile and doing quite well but he wasn't that thrilled with the lifestyle and has since moved to Japan I believe and is into old Japanese literature or something like that.
I believe he speaks 4 or 5 languages (and obviously Japanese is pretty tough stuff...as opposed to just knowing all the romance languages).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah Bob, anyone who can learn English is capable of learning any language. I mean English though, not that [censored] you speak in the US. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mack

Warren Whitmore
08-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Yes.

I have a friend Terry who is smarter than I am and being selectivly aggresive comes natural to him. He is currently a physicist. Makes about $300K/year.

08-22-2005, 09:57 AM
well i suck anyone would be better

beekeeper
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
My mom.

Mens Rea
08-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Voted Yes.

My brother would be a rediculously good no-limit player up to around $2-5.

What would make him better than me? Infinite patience, zero ego, and he does not tilt at all. He absolutely destroys games like B&M 2-4 and 3-6 despite the large rake - I cannot beat these games since moving up to mid-level no limit. With training, he would be outstanding, but he won't play for anything more than a $150 buyin. I've offered to stake him at no risk but he won't do it.

08-23-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That straightup makes no sense

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, use your liberty to ignore it.