PDA

View Full Version : Short handed, Too agro?

Saint_D
08-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Started a grunchan rat-trap at 1/2. Fifth hand with these guys. No reads, but the villian seems competent.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(3 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9.00 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.00 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18.00 BB.

irishpint
08-22-2005, 02:14 AM
might be a loose turn call getting 8:1. We could be behind a flush, or our Queen might be a diamond, giving us only about 3 outs, meaning we can't have more than three outs. I'd just fold the turn- drawing to a gutshot on a paired board w/ a 3 flush out there is no good, IMO.

aces_dad
08-22-2005, 02:24 AM
The river is pretty agressive, not sure what kind of reads you had on these players. Drawing on the flop is kind of thin also specially drawing to a gut shot which may be behind a flush and a overcard which may be behind a set.

I don't cap that river, even SH you have to slow down on the flush board. You can probably safely fold to the 3 bet on the river but don't cap it.

Saint_D
08-22-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
might be a loose turn call getting 8:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch Irish. I shoulda folded the turn. I was counting my K as good for a full 3 outs. I know better than that. .5 - 1 is more realistic.

In Short handed I find myself calling a lot of draws I don't have the odds for. I need to correct that. Had this been full ring I would have mucked it with that pot and this board in a heartbeat.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what kind of reads... I don't cap that river, even SH you have to slow down on the flush board. You can probably safely fold to the 3 bet on the river but don't cap it.[/b]

Just enough read that I don't respect that PF 3 bet very much.

You are completely right. I played this hand poorly. I really need to dial back my aggression in SH play I think.

grjr
08-22-2005, 11:33 AM
When I first started playing short-handed I found myself thinking there weren't any big hands out there because there were so few players. After losing my ass for a while I figured out that wasn't the case a lot of the time.

Especially the low limit 6 max where everyone is seeing the flop the majority of the time (Prima and Sportingbet). There were more big hands and suckouts in those games than any full ring game I can remember. Now I tend to give people credit for having a hand and only call when I have the odds (unless it's heads up).

It's tempting at first to try and win every pot but that ain't gonna happen. Luckily another hand will be around in 30 seconds.

Even with all that said, I had to withdraw all my money from Prima because all the suckouts were tilting me worse than I've ever been (and that's saying a lot). I never liked playing there anyways and this just capped it off. I did get a nice bonus from them (Poker Rewards) and combined with the PSO bonus made some good money but man, it was sure bad for my blood pressure.

/rant

To sum up, I think you should have folded the turn. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jrz1972
08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially the low limit 6 max where everyone is seeing the flop the majority of the time (Prima and Sportingbet). There were more big hands and suckouts in those games than any full ring game I can remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play those sites (just Stars and Party), but that's been my experience as well. I cannot believe the number of set vs. set, flush vs. flush, and boat vs. boat hands I have encountered at 6-max. I've also run into many more runner-runners than full ring. At first I thought it was just really weird variance, but the players in these low-limit games are so freaking loose that these bizarre suckouts become much more common that what you'd see in FR.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

imported_The Vibesman
08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Flop call is a little loose - SB coldcalled, called a reraise, then led right out at flop, that's not good for you.

I'd probably drop it on the turn.

At the river, I think you need to just call the three bet, the board is paired, there's a flush draw down he could have been betting at on the flop, and three to a str8 and still he raises, he's not scared of much here.