PDA

View Full Version : To Glenn re: Tesla and Einstein

BruceZ
04-04-2003, 08:01 AM
A sub-thread sprung up below about these two men. It seems that Tesla completely missed the boat concerning Einstein's theories. He did not believe in either special or general relativity, claiming that the curvature of space was absurd, and that he had his own theory of gravity that he would release but never did. He also stated that atomic energy was not possible, and that he had smashed atoms without seeing any release of energy. He died 2 years before the atomic bombs in Japan, and about a month after Fermi's first chain reaction at the University of Chicago (I just discovered that). Many experiments have since confirmed special relativity and general relativity as well. They are about as "proven" as any scientific theories can be, especially special relativity. Tesla was a great man, but he also had unbounded confidence and was dead wrong about a number of things.

Tesla could also be mean, and this will contribute to our debate about the necessity of being nice to be successful. Here is an exerpt from Tesla, Man out of Time:

Tesla displayed occasional streaks of cruelty that seemed motivated by likes and dislikes of an almost compulsive sort. Fat people disgusted him, and he made little effort to conceal his feelings. One of his secretaries was in his opinion too fat. Once she awkwardly knocked something off a table and he fired her. She pleaded with him on plump knees to change his mind but he refused to do so. He had a favorite joke about two of his ancient aunts that centered on the fact that both were sublimely ugly.

He could be equally imperious about his subordinantes' clothes. A secretary might spend half a months earnings on a new dress, and he would criticize it, ordering her to go home and change it before delivering a message to one of his important banker friends.

andyfox
04-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Maybe geniuses are just strange. Think about Tesla, Mozart, Vermeer, Feynman, for example. A friend of my father's was a secretary for Von Neumann at Cal Tech in the late 1940s/early 1950s and she has told me some wonderful stories about phone conversations with Einstein and how strange a man was Mr. Von Neumann. Maybe the brain is too full of wonderful things and there's no room for to look at day-to-day things the way you and I do.

Glenn
04-05-2003, 12:11 PM
"It seems that Tesla completely missed the boat concerning Einstein's theories. He did not believe in either special or general relativity, claiming that the curvature of space was absurd"

I can identify. When I took honors modern physics I didn't believe much of it either. In fact, when the proof of their explanation of the strong force was that it can't happen but since you can't tell it doesn't happen it must happen I kind of stopped studying /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I did get the relativity stuff though so I guess Tesla was a lightweight.

" and that he had his own theory of gravity that he would release but never did. "

So he pulled a Fermat?

I am looking forward to reading more about Tesla but at this point there is nothing intelligent I can really add. The thing that has always fascinated me about him is the fact that he developed the theories, the application, and the devices. Also, it is fun to read the conspiracy theorists' claims that he caused the Tunguska blast of 1908 and such. You did get me to break out a text book and start reading about special relativity. It is so hard to find good textbooks on these things. Either they are as thick and unreadable as Kierkegaard or they are way too light on the math.

Acesover8s
04-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Not to change disciplines, but Kierkegard is unreadable? Unreadable is Heidegger.

"Neither the ontical depiction of entities within-the-world nor the ontological Interpretation of their Being is such as to reach the phenomenon of the 'world'. In both of these ways of access to 'Objective Being', the 'world' has already been 'presupposed', and indeed in various ways."
--Being and Time

brad
04-05-2003, 01:55 PM
whats so hard about that?

brad
04-05-2003, 02:01 PM
of course contrast nietzsches 'theres more wisdom in my little finger than (gee i forget but its some mental figment or ideal or whatever)'

point being above all he is an experimentalist 'try it!' rather than a postulate an ideal and go from there man.

crazy canuck
04-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Tesla was a genious inventor/engineer, not exactly a theoretical physicist.
Some of his other funny claims:

He asserted that he invented a death ray capable of destroying 10,000 airplanes at a distance of 250 miles.

He claimed that he could split the Earth like an apple.