PDA

View Full Version : Can't win with AA

08-21-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm having terrible results lately with AA on the 11's and 22's at Party, and I'm not sure if I'm playing it badly or am just in a bad run of luck.

It started when I went through a stretch where any kind of raise with AA resulted in the entire table folding pre-flop (and yes, I'm talking about the 11's and 22's; not sure where the donks and LAGs are hiding).

Now I understand the adage that AA wins small pots and loses big ones, but I figure in an SNG, if you aren't maximizing your winnings with AA, you're in trouble.

So I started min-raising with AA, and typically I'm getting just one caller, which I figure is ideal, hoping they'll pair up and take a stab at the pot. I understand the risk here, but against just one opponent, isn't AA at least an 85% favorite? I'm getting called by hands like QT, who go on to hit two pair, straights, or flushes. Then I get comments like "that's what you get for slowplaying AA". But again, we're talking about just one pre-flop opponent here.

How else can I get paid-off with AA? Do I need to go back to big pre-flop raises? It seems worthless to win 45 or 75 chips with AA.

Karak567
08-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Three lessons to be learned here.

A) Bad beat posts suck.
B) Raise AA 3-4x BB open pre-flop and if there are limpers my formula is 3x BB plus 1x BB for each limper. If there are a LOT of limpers raise even more than that.
C) Bad beat posts suck.

axeshigh
08-21-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Three lessons to be learned here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just use this form? I'm a big fan /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

In response to your post, as a poster on this forum I would like to advise you of the following:

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] Use the Search Function
[ ] It's Just Variance
[ ] Your Sample Size is Too Small
[ ] This is a Bad Beat Post!
[ ] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop

HighestCard
08-21-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just use this form? I'm a big fan

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to fill it out...

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] Use the Search Function
[ ] It's Just Variance
[ ] Your Sample Size is Too Small
[X] This is a Bad Beat Post!
[X] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[X] Fold Preflop

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-21-2005, 11:40 PM
How is this a bad beat post?

[ QUOTE ]
B) Raise AA 3-4x BB open pre-flop and if there are limpers my formula is 3x BB plus 1x BB for each limper. If there are a LOT of limpers raise even more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this and it's my typical play. But what good is it if it's only yielding the blinds in the early levels?

axeshigh
08-21-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You forgot to fill it out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just didn't want to spoil you the pleasure of filling it yourself /images/graemlins/confused.gif

downtown
08-21-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're complaining about bad beats.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this and it's my typical play. But what good is it if it's only yielding the blinds in the early levels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in the long run it will be a more profitable strategy.

P.S. Glad to see everyone enjoying my form! Bravo!

flyingmoose
08-21-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you've got to understand something about poker.

Scared to just pick up the blinds = scared to bust people.

Sometimes you'll just get the blinds, sometimes you'll win big pots. Sometimes you'll be outdrawn by someone who didn't have the odds to call. Sometimes you'll bust somebody. All of the above are better than miniraising and giving 67s the odds to call and outdraw you.

stupidsucker
08-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Don't hound him too hard kids.

He asked a legitimate question about how to play AA properly, with a large side of whine. Just because it is AA, people think they can play it any ole way and it wins on its own.

Slowplaying AA early is just plain wrong, but you are not the first or last to fall into that trap. Most bad players dont look too much at the bet. They see AJ as playable no matter how much you raise within reason.

Bet it, take your blinds, and play safe flops hard.

yabastid
08-22-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't hound him too hard kids.

He asked a legitimate question about how to play AA properly, with a large side of whine. Just because it is AA, people think they can play it any ole way and it wins on its own.

Slowplaying AA early is just plain wrong, but you are not the first or last to fall into that trap. Most bad players dont look too much at the bet. They see AJ as playable no matter how much you raise within reason.

Bet it, take your blinds, and play safe flops hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

MegaBet
08-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Fold preflop.

nWirb
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Minraising sucks.

Let's see why:

Villian calls with his low pp for t30.
Villian is 1/8 to flop trips.
Villian wins your stack of ~800 when he flops trips.
Villian implied pot odds are ~1/27.
There are always redraws ofc, but you get the point.

In the 10s and 22s I open for 80-100 in lvl 1 with AA and 120-150 or so lvl 2.