PDA

View Full Version : 15-30 Omaha8 Hand: Keep Jamming or Slow Down?

Jeffage
08-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm on the button with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. 3 callers, I call, SB calls, BB checks. Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving me the lock low. Check to me, I bet and get 4 callers. The turn comes the 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check to MP player who bets, cutoff raises, I call 2 cold, MP reraises, cutoff calls, I call. The river is the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP bets, Cutoff calls, I call. Comments on turn play? Should I keep the pressure on? I'm pretty new to this game.

Thanks,
Jeff

jayheaps
08-21-2005, 11:53 PM
you dont have a lock low because you have no backup cards. An ace or 3 cripples your hand. you also dont have redrawas to any legit hands. you can't fold but you want to keep the pot as same as possible.

Sean D
08-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Definitely not a lock low with no counterfeit protection. As you can tell from the river, your low was counterfeited, and now your hand is not worth much. Anyone with 34, 35, or 45 in their hand now has your low beat. Your high hand is also unlikely to win given the action thus far. But the pot is big enough that you still should call on the river in hopes that your low is good. Read Zee's book and stick around this forum and you will be able to understand the game a lot better.

Buzz
08-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Jeff- When the action got to me the first time on the third betting round, I'd tentatively put MP on A26X or A27X and CO on A24Y, A25Y, A26Y or A27Y.

When the action got to me the second time on the third betting round, I'd tentatively put MP on A27X and CO on A24Y or A25Y.

Without knowing more about your opponents, it's impossible to place the fourth card in either hand - but I don't think it's a three because of the betting on the second betting round.

It's possible CO has A245, but probably not. CO (or anyone) would probably play A24-anything or A25-anything, so there's no particular reason to suspect A245 specifically.

But CO's limp on the first betting round, followed by the check/call on the second betting round, followed by the raise/call on the third betting round looks to me very much like trip deuces with an ace kicker plus a four or a five, maybe even an ace-eight low after the turn - an attempt to knock you off a better but non-nut low - (or knock you off the same non-nut low).

Thus I think your live three on the river is probably the winner for low and I think both of your opponents have made deuces full of aces on the river. (It's also possible that MP has sixes or sevens full of deuces, that is A266 or A277).

What's already in the pot is already in the pot. You're either due for a share of it or not. If you raise (assuming you'd call a re-raise), you can lose a maximum of two big bets more - but I'm thinking you'll probably win a half big bet with no re-raise and a full big bet with a re-raise from MP. But what are the odds one of your opponents doesn't also have a live three, or a four-five? I don't know.

Thus I think you missed a raise on the river.

Should you make it three bets on the turn the first time the action reaches you, or four bets the second time?

I think you probably should have, unless you had reason to believe one of your opponents may have been slow playing the flopped nut low on the second betting round, and doesn't believe you also hold A3XX.

Since you have two threes in your own hand, a three on the river would hardly be a disaster. (You'd be favored to win the high, although not a cinch because MP could have A266 or A277 - and you also might well share in the low with a live ace). And since you have a pair of threes in your own hand, the probability of an opponent having a three is reduced by about 1/3, compared to your just having one three, making it less likely you're quartered for low than without the pair of threes.

In short, I'd be willing to bet you're winning the low here, and I think it's unlikely you're getting quartered.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

Drizztdj
08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Realize when you're only playing for half the pot and how likely it is that one of the other players has A3.

Definitely slow down after the turn and start praying they don't cap the river.

Jeffage
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Results: MP shows 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (deuces full of sixes)

Cutoff shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. (Deuces full of aces for the high)

I win the low.

Not too shabby. I'm starting to get into this game...though I don't know all the ins and outs yet, people play so badly at this game, it is pretty unreal. Plus relatively low variance. I like it and definitely want to keep learning. More comments appreciated.

Jeff