PDA

View Full Version : 6FU Series Finale (Don't Open, if you haven't seen)

BottlesOf
08-21-2005, 10:19 PM
I like how the series ended. While the first hour seemed to tie up the necessary loose ends, I wasn't blown away until Claire started to drive away. I thought that montage was superbly done, and it was something different. I had wondered if they were going to kill off anyone else or everyone, and so they kind of did. I mean we knew everyone would die....at some point. Very sad.

Edit: My one beef was how quickly David and Keith re-decorated the house. There's no way they could have new furniture and appliances in a few days. I don't know how that's explained.

SammyKid11
08-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I noticed the furniture thing myself. In all, though, a great final episode...did justice to the series (which, even though I enjoyed it, I'm glad it's over).

snorer
08-21-2005, 11:48 PM
I've never been so struck by a TV show and/or movie before. The ending hit me so hard

I was disappointed at first because the first 40 minutes or so didn't really live up to my expectations. It looked like it was going to have a weak boring ending until I realized it was going longer than 60 minutes

the pace of the redecorating caught my attention too, but I've come to expect that from the show. The timeline has been especially quick lately... they just ran through 8 months in what, 5 or 6 episodes? The gay kitchen scene was probably set a few weeks later than what it seems

jayboo
08-22-2005, 01:27 AM
I thought it was the best ending of a show i have ever seen.
Wasn't expecting that last fifteen minutes and it blew me away.
I wiil say it does suck to see it end as it was my fav T.V. show
but i'm glad it ended the way it did.
Well done.
Jay

Sadat X
08-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Most series finales dissapoint but this one was incredible.

DougOzzzz
08-22-2005, 04:20 AM
I thought it was okay. First hour was pretty boring. Last 10 minutes made me cry.

David looks really weird bald/balding.

xadrez
08-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Probably the best ending to a TV series Ive ever seen. Extremely haunting/powerful.

Rome next week!

astroglide
08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
the ending montage was the best 3 minutes of tv/film i've ever seen. it hasn't even really hit me that it's over yet, but [censored], what fills this gap? maybe i'll have to start reading books. i'm in hell now. totally moving and amazing. the show has truly impacted my life.

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Way overhyped. What a disappointment. Why the hell did the final scenes have to be all about that whiney little bitch Claire. I hate her.

astroglide
08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/obituary/episode63.shtml

their obituaries are posted

BottlesOf
08-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Books???!?! NO way, there is plenty of HBO coming up!

Rome premiers next Sunday

So does "Extras" (I think it's something like that) featuring the main character from the UK "The Office" it looks hysterical

Curb Your Enthusiasm starts Sept. 25

Hopefully, "The Wire" which is IMHO the best of all will start up soon....

astroglide
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
i don't watch sfu for "hbo", i watch it because it's an insanely wonderful show. i'm not going to get what i got out of this with rome or curb your enthusiasm, they're not remotely similar in terms of subject, expression, or meaning.

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 12:07 PM
I really don't understand why this show was so popular. I can't really get into a show where I seriosuly dislike the majority of the characters. It was watchable, but that was about it.

gumpzilla
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, "The Wire" which is IMHO the best of all will start up soon....

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they bringing that back? Seems like it's likely to have a real different feel with Stringer dead and Avon in jail (again). I should try and watch the second season some time. I saw most of seasons 1 and 3, but none of 2.

xadrez
08-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Acutally, Season 2 of "The Wire" had little to do with Stringer and Avon. They were present, but the plot mainly revolved around corruption at the dockyards.

Stringer and Avon were undoubtedly great characters, but the show can easily continue without them. In reality, how much longevity do inner city drug dealers have? Probably not much.

BottlesOf
08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
While this is true, I believe HBO programming to be of an extraordinarily high quality, and I enjoy all of its original programming. I loved 6FU but I love some of the other shows as much.

Do you watch any of their other dramatic series? The Wire or Deadwood perhaps?

BottlesOf
08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Really? I don't think I disliked any characters. In fact, whenever there is a character I "dislike" as in, I wouldn't want to hang out with him/her, I usually enjoy that person's contribution to the show just as much as a character I "like."

astroglide
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
i've seen deadwood, didn't grip me. don't know anything about the wire. the thing i liked about 6fu was that it was just LIFE. liberal and affluent and all of that, but with such things out of the way it leaves the canvas blank for people to "be themselves", for better or for worse, with less encumberance. the show was really about life, not a theme.

i didn't get much sleep last night for unrelated reasons, but i'm feeling really down right now over the show.

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really? I don't think I disliked any characters. In fact, whenever there is a character I "dislike" as in, I wouldn't want to hang out with him/her, I usually enjoy that person's contribution to the show just as much as a character I "like."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I have to like everyone in the show. And unlikeable characters are necessary for story lines. But there was really no one I liked with the exception of maybe Ruth and Rico. The rest of them I pretty much wanted to see die.

BottlesOf
08-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Well put. I assume you've seen American Beauty, if not, you should check that out (also Alan Ball).

I found the montage at the end to be very sad but also I found it eye-opening, relaxing and comforting. I was left with the feeling that we don't need to fear change, the end, death etc.

astroglide
08-22-2005, 12:52 PM
yeah, it's not like the closure wasn't perfect. nathaniel smirking and nate's soak-it-in look at his mom followed by a forward smile is exactly how i'd hope death would be. nathaniel's response was like smiling when your kid is afraid to jump into the deep end of the pool. they're taking it so seriously, like everybody else did, but to those who have been there they know it's just a step in life and it's endearing.

i'm not upset by the way it ended, just that it has ended. there won't be another episode and it's killing me.

Gomez22
08-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, I'm a licensed funeral director/embalmer, owning 3 funeral homes, and I must state that this show was, unequivocably for me at least, the best thing HBO has ever done.

For those wondering, some things on the show were VERY true to life, while others were a little more far-fetched, but it was a breath of fresh air from a network that has been hitting home runs in the cable series genre over the past 10 years or so.

Like many on here, I found the ending wonderfully perfect for the show, and I must admit that I cried almost hysterically (remember, this show has a little "more" for me than most) during the final 3-5 minutes. A truly masterful job of writing, directing, and acting in that small amount of time.

All in all, 6FU was a godsend for my line of work, as it made people ask more questions and get a bit more educated about the funeral industry in a way that only mainstream exposure can.

I remember thinking the first 15 minutes of the Season 3 opener was incredible, only to be surpassed by the episode where we have Nate's funeral (superb acting by both Michael C. Hall and Frances Conroy, both well deserving of Emmy awards, IMO) and now, to me, that was surpassed by just a little over 3 minutes of television in the series finale.

Kudos to HBO, Alan Ball, the cast and crew for what was, to me, the best of any series I have ever seen offered.

'Mez

The Ocho
08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I've never seen 6 feet under, but tuned in for the last 10 minutes or so while waiting for Entourage to start.

The death montage for some reason struck me as very funny. I didn't know (and thus care) about any of the characters, so when they had some random guy getting shot in like 2045 I just started cracking up. Also when the person did the whole walking away and collapse in 2053 or whatever I couldn't help think of Pai Mei and his 5 point exploding heart technique. And I couldn't help think how funny the last episode of Seinfeld would have been if they had shown Newman getting hit by a bus in 2047.

Plus there is no way that Prius or whatever the pale girl drove could make it across the country.

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Nate's wife, Brenda, masturbating in front of her brother while he pontificates about how theraputic it will be for them was really funny. Oh and they were in their 70's or so.

Brenda was such a total whore it was a perfect ending for her.

astroglide
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
old people often twitch. people who are dying often twitch. old dying people probably twitch very often

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
old people often twitch. people who are dying often twitch. old dying people probably twitch very often

[/ QUOTE ]

I downloaded it so I watched that part like 5 times. I think it was meant to be plausibly deniably ambiguous, but the intent was very clear.

Besides, you don't have a high level conversation with someone who's stroking out. (pun intended)

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Brenda is masturbating on the couch and Billy is talking to her about how this is theraputic and by finally confronting this ...

They played loud music you probably missed what Billy was saying but as I said I watched it 5 or 6 times.

astroglide
08-22-2005, 05:45 PM
do you have a link to a torrent?

billy was talking about ted and still obsessing over claire. from the closed captioning:

"So, I'm expecting ... I'm expecting some form of response - emotional response. Ted responded in a way that I felt some emotional closure was necessary - was necessary for me. This is something that I've spent a lot of time working - Bren?"

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Wow the music was pretty loud I could barely make out the words.

alt.binaries.multimedia

Maybe I'm wrong but if I am then it's kinda like when someone is lying and the body language says one thing and the words are saying something else.

I'm sure torrentreactor.net has it too.

yoadrians
08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I can see how - if you have never watched an episode of Six Feet Under but tuned in for the last 10 minutes before Entourage - the future scenes might've seemed funny.

For me, though, I'll admit that I, too, became very emotional seeing how everyone wound up. I lost it when Ruth died - that crumbled, heart-broken look on George's face was too much to bare. And the look between Keith and David at Ruth's funeral was very, very sad, too.

BTW, if you watch closely enough, you'll notice older versions of Mia and Willa at Claire's wedding. Both very hot.

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow the music was pretty loud I could barely make out the words.

[/ QUOTE ]

On further review the word "Ted" was in there with "emotional closure". I think my version was the one they came up with but then they sanitized it for TV.

I mean, I just can't come up with a reason why Brenda's hand and arm are pumping up and down back and forth so much.

I think Billy should have been saying oh Brenda , I'm so glad we're finally having sex together, even if I'm so old I can't even get it up any more, I love watching you cum ....

blah blah puke

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, if you watch closely enough, you'll notice older versions of Mia and Willa at Claire's wedding. Both very hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of sexual deviancy, did you notice that one of the black adopted kids was gay? He was sitting next to a man at a funeral and holding his hand, in an intimate way.

yoadrians
08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of sexual deviancy, did you notice that one of the black adopted kids was gay? He was sitting next to a man at a funeral and holding his hand, in an intimate way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I read (maybe on the HBO Website or in the Miami Herald review) that ANTHONY - the younger boy who David took a liking to - was the gay one at the wedding, while Durrell, the older boy who had anger issues like Keith, married a white woman and had two children.

Did you also notice that Brenda had another child - A son - with her husband ... he's sitting next to her at Claire's wedding.

There's some good stuff on the HBO site - David had another 'partner' after he was married ... Brenda went on to be a great author about gifted children ... Claire a top photographer ... etc.

It's some good stuff.

PLOlover
08-22-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's some good stuff on the HBO site - David had another 'partner' after he was married ... Brenda went on to be a great author about gifted children ... Claire a top photographer ... etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the opposite of what I liked about Nate, he was just a poor schmuck with nothing to distinguish him and no abilities.

astroglide
08-23-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, I just can't come up with a reason why Brenda's hand and arm are pumping up and down back and forth so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHE WAS DYING

i watched it again in hd last night. her arm doesn't even appear to be placed so that she could reach her crotch, it would have been near her knee with its angle and how she was situated. they wouldn't have "done that" to her character (had her masturbating) in an ending montage.

PLOlover
08-23-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they wouldn't have "done that" to her character (had her masturbating) in an ending montage.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had her fondling her brother's cock , albeit in a dream sequence, just 2 or 3 episodes ago.

The scene is definitely weird.

kipin
11-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Sorry for this weird bump.

I just finished watching the entire series and I just felt like adding something to the thread.

This show has captivated me for the past couple of months. I have been watching it and am just amazed at the screen writer's abilities to make the chatacters so true to life. I feel like I know them all.

The ending was absolutely amazing. I actually cried, and I can not ever remember crying over a TV show or movie before.

The last 5 minutes of the show are probably the best 5 minutes I have ever seen from a TV show/movie. Just unreal.

astroglide
11-08-2005, 12:51 PM
i just watched the final episode again a couple of nights ago because it's been rotting on my space-limited hdtv dvr. i still can't delete it.

i think i said some similar things earlier in this thread about the show.

astroglide
11-08-2005, 01:39 PM
i can't delete it mostly because it's hd and i won't be able to see that show look that good for like another 10 years. it's really unlikely that they'll release the series on hddvd, and even if they did i probably wouldn't want to buy it at their rates. i do plan on going through the whole series again via netflix eventually. but generally speaking i don't expect to see it rebroadcast in hd until some sort of hd on-demand thing exists with hbo's entire library, which probably won't occur until we're doing television over ip or some such.

good use of the search function on this thread by the way /images/graemlins/smile.gif