PDA

View Full Version : Checkraising bottom pair on a paired flop

Homer
04-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Party 5/10. I'm dealt 63d in the SB. Three limpers to me, I call, BB checks. Five to the flop.

Flop - 9d 9c 3h

Checked to the button, who bets. I raise, all fold except button, who calls.

Turn - 8d

I bet, button folds.

Is checkraising here throwing money away or good poker, generally speaking? I was fairly confident that I had the button beat, and that he would fold to a turn bet if he didn't catch one of his presumable six outs (if he had overcards). Of course, I didn't know what the three players behind me were going to do after I checkraised. I was basically hoping that none of them had a nine, and if they had second pair (PP) they would fold for two bets.

Thoughts?

-- Homer

Vehn
04-04-2003, 01:17 AM
You have 2nd pair /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Well ok its bottom pair too.

Unless the button is pretty damn good/bad this play should be like folding 84o UTG.

JTG51
04-04-2003, 01:27 AM
As long as the button is the type to bet because, well, because he's the button then I think it's a good play. Not only do you give pocket pairs good reason to fold, you chase away all the unimproved overcards.

Homer
04-04-2003, 01:28 AM
I normally wouldn't make a move like this, but for some reason it felt right. Maybe I just got bored, who knows. The button was pretty bad, but with so many other players in the hand it probably doesn't matter how bad he is.

Fold 84o UTG, ehh? I'll have to try that some time. It can make TWO flushes, ya know?!

-- Homer

Vehn
04-04-2003, 01:39 AM
It can flop quads two different ways also, don't discount that.

Ulysses
04-04-2003, 01:44 AM
I think this is the right play here. FWIW, though, I think it's unlikely you get a pocket pair to fold. Of course, I think most pocket pairs would bet the flop.

elysium
04-04-2003, 02:36 AM
hi holm
well the button has nothing here, however you may have had a weak tight in between fold to your check-raise. i like it, but i'm not wild about the pre-flop call. it's not bad homer, i just think that sometimes we can tend to over-rate the odds we're getting in the small, failing to take into consideration our poor position. the problem occurs on the turn. you'll really feel poor position with this holding on the turn. a raise behind your check is devasting. also, the flow of action may be very top pair and two pair oriented. they see the draw and they will intentionally raise to hurt your odds. would they do this if you were on the button? yes, but then you would know if you had correct odds. for example, the betting pattern may be such that you would fold knowing that your drawing dead or thinly. and of course, if you somehow get it down to 1 or 2 opponents on the turn, you don't mind taking a free card; especially if you think a bigger flush is out. not odds here homer but rather position. position affects small suiteds tremendously, even when you're getting in with good odds.

BB King's
04-04-2003, 04:53 AM
It's a good move - especially when it works. You look good and you feel good - LGFG /forums/images/icons/cool.gif If not you look bad.

Another good move is - if the flop is checked around - bet the turn !

Jeff V
04-04-2003, 01:39 PM
This is one of my favorite things to do from upfront when checked to a button who will bet position or overs. Che magnifique! Jeff

Ed Miller
04-05-2003, 11:23 AM
I think this play is fine. Beware that a cold-caller behind you likely means a 9.