PDA

View Full Version : Who knows anything about working out/sports training?

PorscheNGuns
08-21-2005, 09:31 PM
2 simple questions

I injured my UCL ligament in my right elbow from throwing, it has since healed. What exercises should I do to build up muscle around this ligament to help prevent further injury? (Im thinking tricep/forearm reps but is there something that targets the elbow ligaments?)

2 - I know its bad to do intensive upper body workouts back to back days (you need a day to heal), but is this the case with abs and legs? Can I do squats every day? Loads of situps every day without a days rest inbetween?

Thanks

-Matt

Voltron87
08-21-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't know too much about sports therapy so I don't know about your elbow but I would definitely not do squats back to back days. abs other legwork (plyometrics?) should be fine.

jakethebake
08-21-2005, 09:37 PM
My advice is don't get your advice on this from 00t. Talk to your doctor and a physical therapist that specializes in this. I once screwed my hand up completely for a couple of years due to bad advice about rehabbiong an injury. A doctor said I was lucky it wasn't permanent.

Blarg
08-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Legs, no. Abs, yes, if you like. Sit-ups aren't the greatest ab exercises; they work the hip flexors far more. If you want to do a whole bunch of ab work for "spot reduction," you're going in the wrong direction.

Voltron87
08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
jake is right, see a professional. also do not come back too quickly. i cant stress this enough. being an extremely competitive athlete i know what its like to get injured and feel fine and want to play, and it sucks, but coming back too early dramatically increases your chance of reinjury and can make things permanent.

irishpint
08-21-2005, 09:43 PM
abs are muscles too, dude. work them every other day- they need time to heal (you know the whole 'breaking down, getting stronger stuff i'm sure). as far as squating i squat once a week, really hard, and i get the results i'm looking for. unless you want a big ass i'd limit squats to once, maybe twice a week. calf raises can be done more frequently.

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-21-2005, 10:02 PM
1) Go see an actual doctor and/or physical therapist.

2) Either quite "throwing" as much as you do, or use your left hand for a while.

imported_anacardo
08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) Either quite "throwing" as much as you do, or use your left hand for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww, burn. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

How out of character.

PorscheNGuns
08-21-2005, 10:59 PM
health insurance only allows me to see some clueless crackpot family doctor, I havent been able to see an actual ortho guy since I was under my mom's coverage as a kid.

Anyone know any good internet resources/forums where I can find info like this? Thanks

-Matt

sublime
08-21-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My advice is don't get your advice on this from 00t. Talk to your doctor and a physical therapist that specializes in this. I once screwed my hand up completely for a couple of years due to bad advice about rehabbiong an injury. A doctor said I was lucky it wasn't permanent.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, imagine seeing your Dr after getting advice from here

"well the poster named kanekungfoo told me to do this" "he posts a lot on a poker forum"

lololol

Blarg
08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
You can find exercises all over the net. It seems to me the advice to see a doctor is a bit of an over-reaction. After all, you said you have healed, not that you're still in a bad state; I took you at your word.

You're basically wondering how to work up the area around that joint to prevent future injury.

The first and best part of any exercise program is: do no harm. Don't go too hard, too fast, too long, or too soon. Be calm and rational and don't look for lightning fast results. Stretch and warm up for a good amount before and after exercise -- probably more than you think is enough, is the right amount. Most people do little or no warming up or cooling down, and most people get injured sooner or later, too, sometimes severely. So do what they don't, and take care of yourself.

If you want to work on strengthening that joint, you will be working muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Muscle growth can be much quicker than ligament and tendon growth, by a matter of many months. So getting into heavy weights or severe efforts too early is a mistake, when you've already had joint problems. So work on endurance. This will promote blood supply to the tendons, which get very little blood, and even less as you get older, as well as increase capillary growth in the muscle, which will prime your muscle for later growth.

It's also what your tendons and ligaments need to adapt and get ready to support further muscle growth. This is one reason why people just getting back in shape are usually given high repetition, low-resistance exercises like calisthenics before being set loose on a weight-lifting program. Get yourself in good general shape, work the joint with lower stress exercises like rowing or push-ups, and let the tendons and ligaments invisibly do their stuff and get stronger over time. When you feel comfortable, add some light weightlifting -- you can find the exercises most everywhere on the net or in any bookstore. If everything is cool, you can consider doing things that put more stress on the muscles, like heavier weights, in time.

Make it a plan you expect to last for some months, not weeks. Give yourself plenty of rest days, at least a few per week. That will give your body time to grow and repair, and will increase your safety margin.

You don't need a doctor to tell you how to exercise, unless you have a disease condition. Take your time, read on the net and grab a book or three, warm-up and stretch a lot, and above all use your common sense, and you'll be fine. A personal trainer might be a good investment, for an hour or two to get you started and get you on a plan. Some of them stink, though, so there's no guarantee you won't get one who just tries to sell you on his pet favorite exercises or products. So keep an open but discerning mind.

PorscheNGuns
08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks!

-Matt

M2d
08-22-2005, 02:43 AM
jobe website (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=123&topcategory=Arm)
also cruise around the website. lots of good sports med. info there.