PDA

View Full Version : Just one hand

Homer
04-04-2003, 12:10 AM
I post two off the button and am dealt T9h. UTG raises, I call, CO coldcalls, blinds fold. Three to the flop.

Flop - 8h 6d 2d

UTG bets, I raise, CO folds, UTG calls.

Turn - Ks

Check, check.

River - 8d

UTG checks, I bet, UTG folds.

-- Homer

bernie
04-04-2003, 12:17 AM
nicely played, homer J

b

Ulysses
04-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Excellent raise on the flop w/ your two overcards, gutshot straight draw, and backdoor flush draw.

Homer
04-04-2003, 12:46 AM
I agree that raising the flop is a good play. That isn't what I was most concerned about, though. I was wondering if calling the UTG raise from LP with T9s for half-price was correct. Also, I was wondering if the bet on the river was sound. I'm guessing you think I played it alright since you didn't say I didn't. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-- Thanks, Homer

J.R.
04-04-2003, 01:16 AM
Pre-flop: Fine, especially if the blinds are likely to tag along.

Flop: Nice raise every now and then, and the best choice if you don't want to fold. What's you read of UTG? I wouldn't make this raise often, and especially not againsty aggressive players.

Turn: You can either represent the flush draw by checking behind or bet again. A bet on the turn is not likely to represent a K, as following through on the turn says you still have the made hand you represented on the flop (and would UTG suspect you call with a K hand, such as AK or KQ).

UTG was the pre-flop raiser, so there is a chance UTG has KQ or AK and may be trying to check-raise. But the issue I see is UTG may not see the K as helping you and put you on the made hand you represented on the flop, so unless UTG was calling your flop bet with AQo, I can't put UTG on a hand he folds, as he would either have overcards he called with on the flop that improved with the K (AK, KQ) or UTG has a passively played pocket pair like 88, 99 TT or JJ that he should have either folded on the flop, three-bet (muy choice), or called. If he called, would he fold the turn. (This all assumes UTG is a good player who plays how I think good players play). So you either fold AQ, get called by a better hand or possibly get check-raised. Maybe checking is best, as you can bluff a flush card on the river.

River: A must bet given the turn check.

Ulysses
04-04-2003, 01:36 AM
OK, a little more elaboration. I didn't say more, because to me, once you decide to go the "raise the flop" route, your further actions/reactions are pretty much determined.

I was wondering if calling the UTG raise from LP with T9s for half-price was correct.
Check out "Left heads up in the BB" in the Mid-Stakes Forum. Some like calling this in BB. Others don't. I call w/ this hand in BB. I absolutely call this as a late poster - it's not just half-price, it's half-price and position. It doesn't bother me to fold my BB. I don't like folding my LP posting hand.

Also, I was wondering if the bet on the river was sound.
I think you have two ways to play this hand. One is to fold on the flop (or pre-flop). The other, which gets you to the river, requires this bet on the river.

Bob T.
04-04-2003, 04:59 AM
I think that you have to call the raise, given that you have position, and have to call only one small bet. If it were 4 or 5 way, you would limp behind with this hand right? I think that your hand has better chances because this will be played a little shorthanded, and if you make top pair, I think you have a better chance of winning.

Robk
04-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Checking the turn here is very bad... One of the main benefits to raising the flop is that it allows you to take down the pot without the best hand when the right cards come. The K is one of best turn cards for you here.
Your opponent can't call this bet with AQ, AJ, and AT which are extremely likely holdings given the raise and lack of a 3bet on the flop. Depending on the player, he may even fold some pocket pairs. If he had a king, he probably would have bet it on the turn, as he knows the K looks scary to you, and won't want to risk it being checked through.

To answer your questions:
1. Preflop: I have never posted a late blind before, so I don't really know anything about these standards /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . My instincts say calling is the right play.

2. River: Good bet. Would you bluff raise if he bets the river? I think it's a good spot.