PDA

View Full Version : Applicability of Harrington on Hold'em in 10+1 STT

PokerAmateur4
08-21-2005, 06:05 PM
In hoh he states certain strategies that strike me as loose after using "Beating the 10+1". Basic strategy he states: QK raise 50% of the time EP in a weak game. Is this and other advice he reccomends good for 11s?

bawcerelli
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
bottom line for any table you sit at is you have to adjust your game based on how your opponents play. trying to memorize which hands you should raise pf with and from what position is not the best way to spend your time improving your game.

johnnybeef
08-21-2005, 06:25 PM
his advice applies to situations in which the blinds escalate less often than every 10 hands.

PokerAmateur4
08-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Thank you. Could you please explain why and how I can being to craft my game to the optimal strategy for pre flop play?

bawcerelli
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
experience

08-21-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. Could you please explain why and how I can being to craft my game to the optimal strategy for pre flop play?

[/ QUOTE ]I think Harrington is pretty clear that there is no one right way to play pre-flop. He is also pretty clear in stating that you have to adjust your strategy to the table.

08-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm a believer in playing extremely tight until Level 4 and then playing tight but aggressive thereafter (basic 2+2 strategy). Harrington Vol. 1 has great stuff, but it is geared toward MTTs. Harrington Vol. 2 is much more applicable to SnGs. Must reading.

ilya
08-21-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his advice applies to situations in which the blinds escalate less often than every 10 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Harrington would agree with this. In his description of single-table online tournaments, he writes:

"...blinds start low but rise rapidly, about every ten hands or so..."

I think he would consider his advice applicable to Party SnGs.

P.S. As an aside...the idea that Harrington's books are just about MTTs or deeper-stack SnGs is IMO one of the more irritatingly persistent misconceptions on this forum.

jon462
08-22-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How about this: fold KQs from EP 50% of the time, limp 50% of the time.

PokerAmateur4
08-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Cool Illya. My guess is I can call and raise QK then? I forgot if H says that raising or calling is the ideal strategy, but he says you shoudl switch it up because opponents remember things so you can't always do the ideal move or else they would catch on. My guess would be that oyu can play towards the ideal much much more in 10+1 as most will not remember what you are doing or understand it.

tigerite
08-22-2005, 05:37 AM
You can if you want, I personally wouldn't choose to from EP because I think it's too marginal, and can get you in a lot of trouble.

SammyKid11
08-22-2005, 05:41 AM
The applicability of this advice is entirely dependent on the level of the blinds, your chip stack, your opponents' chips stacks, and the number of opponents left in your particular tournament. In short, your question is one that cannot be properly answered based on the amount of information you've given us.