PDA

View Full Version : Limit vs No Limit

08-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Though I've played home games for years I'm currently a micro limit player online and have do fairly decent at the cash games in Limit. However, I do also enjoy playing $1 No Limit SNG's and have made the final table and money many times. Maybe its just the low limits, but I have yet to notice major differences in Limit vs No limit strategy in either case.
Other than the obvious betting structure, and I do also generally understand % of the pot to bet in different situations; but other than that could someone get me a general primer on how maybe hand values, etc... if at all differ from the two?

Perseus
08-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Search function. About half a screen up and in between "main index" and "my home"

08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the help. Though would you mind hinting at some exact words? I tried limit, no limit in the advanced, and it just brought me right back to my own post.

Hoss1193
08-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Harrington on Hold 'Em (HOH) is regarded the definitive book out there on NLHE play. While I recently picked up a copy, I admit I haven't opened it yet, so I can't personally vouch that it will have exactly what you're looking for. I'd be very surprised, however, if it does not.

I know many people on this site will rail on this, but the Cloutier/McEvoy book Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold 'Em was quite helpful to me in putting together the beginning rudiments of a NLHE game, and I've met success with what I learned from it. I'm looking to refine that game now using HOH over coming months.

Final note: I grew up in Conroe (Conroe High '85). Not such a big town, so unusual and cool to see a hometowner on here.

diebitter
08-22-2005, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Harrington on Hold 'Em

the Cloutier/McEvoy book Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold 'Em

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just starting on NLHE myself, with some success.

The above are both excellent recommendations. I'd add 'Getting Started in Holdem' by Ed Miller. It's got a short but excellent section on playing short-stack NLHE, and it's pretty good advice. When I follow it I win most sessions (though often have to rebuy one or two times initially) and lose when I don't follow it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you don't wanna play short-stacked, or you win with a short stack so you then get a medium/large stack in a game, HoH is the absolute nuts. My only modification is that I use Harrington's guide in conjunction with a suggestion from the McEvoy/Cloutier to always raise the same amount (usually x3 or x4 the big blind if first in, or 1/2-1x pot if others in), as this prevents a read on your hand. Harrington suggests randomised raise levels for various hands, but I found that a X4 raise is excellent in tourneys, but not so good in ring games. I prefer this because Harrington also recommends ways to randomise whether you raise or call for various hands, and I do follow these. Two lots of randomisation is just a bit overwhelming /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pepsquad
08-22-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I do also enjoy playing $1 No Limit SNG's and have made the final table and money many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't sh*t. I make the Final table on ALL of my SNG's.

diebitter
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, I do also enjoy playing $1 No Limit SNG's and have made the final table and money many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't sh*t. I make the Final table on ALL of my SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you play at each stage? Textbook? Tight early, looser/stealing middle, aggressive at end?