PDA

View Full Version : Offer of help getting into Uni - immoral?

partygirluk
08-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Over the next few months I am going to apply to study a PhD, mainly at U.S schools. Will apply to about 10 unis. I know someone who is a very senior figure in one of the schools. This person said if I apply to his/her school, he/she is happy to put in a word for me.

Well. This puts me at an unfair advantage imo. It opens the possibilty of a superior candidate getting turned down in my favor. I would also like the pride of getting in on merit. However, it is a very competitive world, and some people (notably my parents) think I should take every advantage and each opportunity that presents itself to me.

Confused.

Eurotrash
08-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. to be honest, I don't think a truly superior candidate would be passed up for you in this case. this situation seems more like if you're on about equal standing with another applicant, your good word from the higher-up that you know will get you the admission.

Voltron87
08-21-2005, 03:05 PM
if youre always going to be this much of a sissy your life wont go well.

irishpint
08-21-2005, 03:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
if youre always going to be this much of a sissy your life wont go well.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. it's not so much what you know but who you know. tomorrow i am meeting with the dean of admissions of a medical school here because my parents know someone who know him. do i feel bad? no.

astroglide
08-21-2005, 03:14 PM
phd programs all have reviews/interviews with multiple sources right? unless they're a highly biased voting member and willing to influence their peers this is just a recommendation, not a free pass.

Argus
08-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Getting a PhD is a bit more than grades or your academic record. Getting accepted can have a lot to do with how you get along with the faculty. I know people with atrocious grades (3.0/4.0) who were accepted for PhD work because a certain professor wanted to work with them. This isn't much different, and if you're seriously considering PhD work chances are you are reasonably qualified. Let the person recommend you and thank them for it. It's not immoral at all to accept help from friends. This person would not recommend you if you really weren't qualified, so if you both agree you are a good candidate for doctoral work then it would be bordering on unethical not to accept the assistance.

partygirluk
08-21-2005, 03:23 PM
This friend only know me on a personal level, he/she has no idea how good a PhD student I would be other than having some idea of my level of intelligence based on our conversations.

trying2learn
08-21-2005, 03:30 PM
there are so many facets to the business world that stem from networking and, "who-ya-know". this starts in school, and you need to take advantage of every opprotuntity afforded you.

good luck to you - your ethics seem to be in the right place - but now you need to make sure your motivation is. something like this shouldn't be more than a second thought.

gumpzilla
08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I think it's reasonably safe to say that this kind of thing is not terribly uncommon. I agree with astroglide that this doesn't really amount to much more than a recommendation, and even if this person doesn't interact with you in a primarily academic context, I think it's safe to assume that they have a reasonable impression of your intelligence and character, which is pretty much what it's all about anyway. I don't think you should feel bad about this at all.

MelchyBeau
08-21-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Over the next few months I am going to apply to study a PhD, mainly at U.S schools. Will apply to about 10 unis. I know someone who is a very senior figure in one of the schools. This person said if I apply to his/her school, he/she is happy to put in a word for me.

Well. This puts me at an unfair advantage imo. It opens the possibilty of a superior candidate getting turned down in my favor. I would also like the pride of getting in on merit. However, it is a very competitive world, and some people (notably my parents) think I should take every advantage and each opportunity that presents itself to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how most people get jobs? By knowing someone. Today most businesses rely on thier employees to recruit for thier company.

Use everything you can to your advantage. Because everyone else will competing against you

Melch

Jersey Nick
08-21-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This friend only know me on a personal level, he/she has no idea how good a PhD student I would be other than having some idea of my level of intelligence based on our conversations.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going for your doctorate, then you're probabaly not a dummy. If you are a dummy, everyone will figure it out quickly enough and your application will be rejected.

There's usually more to getting accepted into a doc program than a senior member's good word. The offer the person made isn't immoral or unethical. You shouldn't lose a moment of sleep over this unless you feel like there is an implied quid pro quo.

partygirluk
08-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Just to clarify - when I say senior, I am talking about a really realy important figure in the school as well likely a massive donor of funds (this person is a billionaire). Don't you think it is possible that this person may hold undue influence over the selection panel? Not that he/she ever would withhold funds because they didn't accept me, but the admissions panel might be worried about this, in any case they will certainly want to please this individual.

touchfaith
08-21-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should take every advantage and each opportunity that presents itself to me

[/ QUOTE ]

rusellmj
08-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Isn't this called networking? I don't see the problem.

lu_hawk
08-21-2005, 04:29 PM
give me a break, this is a stupid post.

newfant
08-21-2005, 04:33 PM
People buy their way into [censored] all the time. It's no big deal. Besides, aren't you just going for some crappy econ degree or something? You'll probably end up unemployed regardless of whether you get in or not.

cadillac1234
08-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Might as well learn it now...

10% of getting ahead is hard work, the other 90% is a combination of nepotism and cronyism.

SCfuji
08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
funny the way the world works. take your friend out to dinner after you receive your acceptance letter.

wacki
08-21-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It opens the possibilty of a superior candidate getting turned down in my favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

What like affirmative action?