PDA

View Full Version : JJ UTG+1

TaintedRogue
08-21-2005, 01:55 PM
I got into a 5/10 NLHE game, while waiting for a 10/20 limit, with only $500.00. 2 players have about 3k stacks each.
Played a few orbits and am stuck about $50, when I get the JJ and UTG folds, so I make it $30 to go.
The 2 big stacks call as well as the BB. $120 in the pot.

Flop: Js,9h,4d

UTG checks, I bet $100.00
1st big stack thinks for 15 seconds and folds.
2nd big stack thinks for 1 1/2 minutes and folds.
BB takes no time in folding.

The big stacks were aggressive players. Did I bet too much?

mgsimpleton
08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
on a rainbow flop, you're not scared of much though there are two straight draws out there. sometimes against observant opponents, checking will easily identify your hand as a monster, but it depends how often you check after raising preflop (if 4 see the flop and i miss, i often just check).

you got unlucky because no one had a hand. that happens quite often when you have top set - you have the deck crippled. but between betting and checking, i hate betting a weak amount because that, followed by later heavy betting, tells people your hand even more than checking, IMO.

so yeah it comes down to whether checking gives away your hand and will deny you action (very often it will not in live play) and whether you think people are too timid to play back at you with a middle pair of some sort (very often the case in a tight game). if you're going to bet, the size is fine (could be slightly smaller i guess), if someone has a hand they will call/raise. best of luck next time, stop playing that limit sh** and join the real game /images/graemlins/grin.gif