PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Canada

tongni
08-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm done with school in the US in two years. Can I move to Canada and then live there forever and gain dual citizenship and not pay taxes? Is this a good idea? Will I somehow get screwed over? Also: Obligatory poll

jakethebake
08-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Where's Bad Advice Guy when we need hom?

phage
08-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Stay where you are now.

augie00
08-21-2005, 02:40 PM
You might still be responsible for paying taxes to the US government even while living out of the country. You'll need QUALITY, professional advice before you seriously consider moving just to avoid taxes.

Or you could not be a pussy and just pay them.

ChoicestHops
08-21-2005, 02:44 PM
I always thought if you moved out of the USA and lived somewhere else you still had to pay taxes here. If you renounce your citizenship you are not required to pay any taxes but are never allowed back into the country.

Why would you want to move to canada anyway.

yellowjack
08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Canada is an awesome place to live. Moving here purely to avoid taxes though is not a good idea.

FatalError
08-21-2005, 02:53 PM
professional gamblers have to pay taxes in canada, give it up

tongni
08-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Well I plan to work on the side 30 hours a week or so.

Isura
08-21-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
professional gamblers have to pay taxes in canada, give it up

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob Moss
08-21-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy is the last word I'd use for someone who refuses to be extorted by an organization as corrupt as the federal government. Hero would be more appropriate.

B

Punker
08-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Unless you renounce US citizenship, you are obligated to pay US taxes no matter where you live. If you do renounce US citizenship, there are other consequences (and they may still make you obligated for the next 10 years taxes anyways if they believe you are renouncing to avoid taxes).

jakethebake
08-21-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pussy is the last word I'd use for someone who refuses to be extorted by an organization as corrupt as the federal government. Hero would be more appropriate.

B

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly a correct answer. However, I'd say any organization that extorts money the way the government does is inherently corrupt.

Nathan183
08-21-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B

[/ QUOTE ]

All not paying taxes does is screw over those who do pay their taxes. There is no heroism in that.

Of course, everyone should try to pay as little tax as legally possible.

jakethebake
08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All not paying taxes does is screw over those who do pay their taxes. There is no heroism in that.

Of course, everyone should try to pay as little tax as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. And the first part of this was idiotic. The sheep that allow the government to extort from them screw themselves.

Benal
08-21-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stay where you are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please do.

sublime
08-21-2005, 07:48 PM
on the side 30 hours a week or so

30 hours a week isnt 'on the side'

MrMon
08-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Move to Canada if you want, but a quick Google search indicates that as a Canadian resident, you'll be subject to Canadian income tax laws.

Canada is not exactly known as a tax haven. Free health care costs money, you know.

HopeydaFish
08-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Are you assuming that you can legally move to Canada? Unless you have some needed skill (and have a job waiting for you here), are marrying a Canadian, or are escaping persecution and going there as a refugee, you won't be allowed to stay in the country.

If you somehow can move to Canada legally (through a work visa, for instance(, you will be obliged to pay Canadian taxes (unless you're working under the table).

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you assuming that you can legally move to Canada? Unless you have some needed skill (and have a job waiting for you here), are marrying a Canadian, or are escaping persecution and going there as a refugee, you won't be allowed to stay in the country.

If you somehow can move to Canada legally (through a work visa, for instance(, you will be obliged to pay Canadian taxes (unless you're working under the table).

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Canada can't accept all the hoardes of people flocking there in droves. They have to be very selective.

HopeydaFish
08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Canada can't accept all the hoardes of people flocking there in droves. They have to be very selective.

[/ QUOTE ]

All kidding aside, like any First World nation, if Canada wasn't selective about its immigrants, there *would* be hordes flocking to Canada in droves. Canada looks pretty good compared to most third world hell holes.

I looked up the numbers, and Canada lets in about 200,000 immigrants every year. About 10,000 of them come from the US.

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All kidding aside...First World nation...Canada

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

HopeydaFish
08-22-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All kidding aside...First World nation...Canada

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, as soon as I typed that, I knew this would be your response! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know, as soon as I typed that, I knew this would be your response! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well who could pass that up? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Diplomat
08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Terrible idea. And your poll options suck.

-Diplomat