PDA

View Full Version : Board keeps getting scarier and scarier

Apoc
04-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Relatively passive 2/4 game online, so I limp with A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in EMP after UTG limps. 2 limpers after me, and the blinds come along. 6 to the flop:

3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Checked to me...I bet out. Both players after me call and the BB calls. Four to the turn:

Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check now, and it's checked around. (Do I need to bet here in order to give people a chance to fold?)

River: A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , giving me two pair but putting the one-card straight and a back-door flush on the board.

It gets checked through again (do I need to bet here after checking the turn?)

Appreciate any comments, as I'm still trudging up the learning curve.

Results to follow...

Tyler Durden
04-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Pre-flop: Fold. It's an ugly hand that I almost never play. If it was suited you'd be good to go.

Flop: It is a semi-bluff that is unlikely to work because of the coordination of these cards (straight draw and flush draw).

Turn: Now you've picked up a gutshot in addition to your fourth pair with the overcard ace. A bet would be good here.

River: You can bet here and fold to a raise depending on where it came from and who the player is. I probably would want to call the raise though. You don't want a target on your head. You can't be scared of a King b/c I think anyone holding a King would have bet the turn.

GOod luck!

Apoc
04-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tyler...I viewed the flop bet less as a semi-bluff and more as an information bet. If I get raised then I know I'm probably behind to a Jack or someone's looking for the free card b/c of a straight/flush draw. Is my thinking off here?

When no one raised, I figured my 10's were probably best hand at the moment, but when the Q came, I chickened out b/c of two overcards, the highly coordinated board, and my relatively weak holding (in my estimation).

Results, by the way, were:
BB had pocket 4's
Player 1 after me had A3 with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
Player 2 had 78, looking for the gutshot straight

elysium
04-03-2003, 07:39 PM
hi apoc
fold pre-flop. do you see how poor positon greatly reduced your implied odds?