PDA

View Full Version : Ace with a high kicker.

Highn
08-21-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm having problems with playing Aces. Every time I lay them down I'm thinking I would've had my opponent outkicked and when I don't they turn over lowest pair.

Example:

MP2 is loose passive

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (5.70 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 5.70 BB

My Went to SD is a bit high and I think it's mostly cus of hands like this. What do you guys think?

Jozepha
08-21-2005, 10:55 AM
I think u played it fine. MP2 could be on a draw or is
holding a small pp.

Highn
08-21-2005, 10:58 AM
If he bets out on me at the river should I call? and if I should, shouldn't I have bet the river myself?

Fishlips_Jones
08-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Looks fine.

If you got to peek at his cards, try to get into his head and figure out what he might have been thinking. Then you can make an adjustment against him, if needed, in the future.

Fishlips

Fishlips_Jones
08-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Will he call with a worse ace? Most of the time when he calls, you are beat. He ain't laying down pocket twos. Call if he bets just to see his cards (one time only). By checking, you induce a bluff. Everyone bluffs occasionally, even bad players.

Fishlips

Highn
08-21-2005, 11:23 AM
So the question would be, should I check/fold on the river when ui or bet to not induce a bluff and maybe get someone to laydown a better hand now and then. I understand this is really hard when you don't have any real reads on someone but I was wondering what most people generally do in this case. Or is it all intuition based?

NateDog
08-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Heads up, I usually bet this river.

@bsolute_luck
08-21-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heads up, I usually bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

08-21-2005, 01:09 PM
If I've bet this far with High Card might as well Bet the River and fold to Raise.

08-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Me personally.. I've played aggressively and don't want to induce a bluff at the river by the opponent. If he's calling down with a high card I want to know that for next time. If he bets the river (Bluff or not) I feel I have to fold and not get to see his hand.

irishpint
08-21-2005, 01:28 PM
i think it's fine.

bottomset
08-21-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the question would be, should I check/fold on the river when ui or bet to not induce a bluff and maybe get someone to laydown a better hand now and then. I understand this is really hard when you don't have any real reads on someone but I was wondering what most people generally do in this case. Or is it all intuition based?

[/ QUOTE ]

first thing you need to realize is you aren't winning often with Ahigh on the river. it holds up occasionally, but it loses more often than not.

to the people suggesting a river bet, is he ever folding a better hand?? what is he calling with that we beat?? and are we ahead 55% of the time he calls??

think things out here

I think you played it fine, whether or not to call a river bet really depends on how passive he is, a fair number of opponents autobet the river here, when you stop, and you are getting good odds to snap off the bluff, others will only bet a pair and will check behind their Ahigh, XXhigh hands and you need to fold against those types.

against an unknown LPP that isn't superloose, I think check/fold is the best river line, since you'll often see a showdown, and win those a fair % of the time, but when the LPP bets the river you are beat the majority of the time, and paying a bet to see K2 or something odd that beats you.