PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty in the heat of battle

The Deuce
08-21-2005, 06:33 AM
I've been playing NL hold em, mainly online but occasionally live, for about two years on and off. For the past year I've studied the game pretty relentlessly, read and re-read many books, and spent a lot of time in these forums. I more than tripled my starting bankroll this year, but ran into some legal difficulties and other expenses which basically forced me to cut into my bankroll and move down a couple levels. Now it seems like I just can't focus in the smaller games- I just can't seem to get myself in the zone, and I'm playing like a donkey in games that I used to crush. If I'm reading a post on two plus two, or observing a game, I can think in a much more sophisticated, analytical manner than I can when I'm actually playing. I've tried hard to focus and clear my head before playing, but to my dismay I find myself continually making idiotic plays, being unable to think things through, and then repeatedly kicking myself in the ass afterward. It's particularly unnerving because despite making a conscious effort to play properly, I feel almost as though I'm not in control of what I'm doing. Really I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, and if so how they dealt with it. Hell, if you haven't experienced it but still have a good idea of how to deal with it I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks in advance.

BluffTHIS!
08-21-2005, 08:26 AM
An obvious answer might be that you really weren't playing as well in the game earlier but merely ran good. But even if that wasn't the case, and you didn't say how many tables you play online, you might want to play a max of 2 tables for a while so that you can think better (I don't play more than 3 for this reason). Or maybe even just 1 table. Part of the problem might also be that you are being over aggressive in the wrong situations or calling too much with inferior hands because you are gambling and trying to get back to where you were faster. You might also read Dr. Al's 2+2 book, The Psychology of Poker, or reread it if you already have it. And if you really don't have a good note taking system for online, but merely say "fish", "donkey", "weak-tight", etc., then you might want to figure out one that allows you to better read your regular opponents. And regarding nl specifically, you need to concentrate on how you bet your money on all streets to win consistently. Also, even if you now were to start to run real good, you might want to stay where you are until you can be sure that you have worked out all the kinks in your game plan.

Python49
08-21-2005, 04:00 PM
i know the problem you're having... i used to get flustered during key moments too and just act irrationally as a reflex... like if i had KK over pair on a scary board and was reraised big i'd just immediately go all in. Just gotta focus on playing each street the best you can and thinking everything out.