PDA

View Full Version : 49rs Player Dies

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 04:01 AM
A player on the 49rs died after the game last night. His name was Thomas Herrion I belive. Only 23. Wonder what he was taking? Game time temps were in the 50's.

Vince Young
08-21-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what he was taking?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a huge idiot.

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what he was taking?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a huge idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because an NFL player in the prime of his life died at the age of 23?

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Because you don't necessarily need to be taking something to die after great physical exertion. Also, the story should be about the man's life and death, not what he was taking to cause his death. Not exactly classy.

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because you don't necessarily need to be taking something to die after great physical exertion. Also, the story should be about the man's life and death, not what he was taking to cause his death. Not exactly classy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not making light of his death. All I asked is I wonder what he was taking. It's going to be talked about all week. The odds are he was taking some type of supplement that may have been connected to his death. If I am wrong, I will apoligize, but I am sure something will come up.

SammyKid11
08-21-2005, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the story should be about the man's life and death, not what he was taking to cause his death.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "story?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP isn't a professional journalist, and his post was not a news story. This is a "media civilian" who's wondering on his own whether a substance contributed to the death of a young, professional athlete. There's nothing wrong with his wondering...and if he's wrong, so be it.

If he'd been speculating as a reporter in the SF Chronicle, that'd be irresponsible. On this message board, it's not a big deal. Lighten the hell up.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-21-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the story should be about the man's life and death, not what he was taking to cause his death.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "story?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP isn't a professional journalist, and his post was not a news story. This is a "media civilian" who's wondering on his own whether a substance contributed to the death of a young, professional athlete. There's nothing wrong with his wondering...and if he's wrong, so be it.

If he'd been speculating as a reporter in the SF Chronicle, that'd be irresponsible. On this message board, it's not a big deal. Lighten the hell up.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Wonder what he was taking?" is different from "Wonder if he was taking something?"

He made an assumption, and I thought it wasn't appropriate. I'm not making it a big deal, I'm just pointing out why somebody else might have called him an idiot. My bad.

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone sees my point. Thank you!

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 07:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Wonder what he was taking?" is different from "Wonder if he was taking something?"

He made an assumption, and I thought it wasn't appropriate. I'm not making it a big deal, I'm just pointing out why somebody else might have called him an idiot. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have picked my words more carefully but I didn't expect anyone to go apesh!t.(not you, the first guy that replied)

TxSteve
08-21-2005, 11:05 AM
who DIDN'T think to themselves "i wonder what he was taking"?

i think the odds are greatly on the side of a supplement contributing significantly to his death....over some sort of natural heart defect etc.

battschr
08-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Maybe it was just a 310 pound man running around with a heat index of 110 collapsing from the heat.

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it was just a 310 pound man running around with a heat index of 110 collapsing from the heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first thought too, but the game was played in Denver and the game-time temp. was 60. CNN reported that he came into camp weighing 340 lbs and was told to lose weight. Losing 30 lbs in less than 6 weeks can't be good for you.

RacersEdge
08-21-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
game was played in Denver

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if this played a role.

jakethebake
08-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Clearly everyone that dies when the temp is in the 50s is taking something. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Matt Williams
08-21-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly everyone that dies when the temp is in the 50s is taking something. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the entire thread? I am WONDERING if he was on something, NOT SAYING he was on something. Not to mention the fact that CNN is reporting he lost 30 lbs in less than 6 weeks. Yea, maybe he was just dieting, but I doubt it.

CD56
08-21-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who DIDN'T think to themselves "i wonder what he was taking"?

i think the odds are greatly on the side of a supplement contributing significantly to his death....over some sort of natural heart defect etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree, i'm positive he was taking supplements (he's a professional athlete, i doubt there is anyone getting paid for athletic competition that is not supplementing their nutrition), but i'm not as certain that the supplement is directly responsible for his death

my first thought when i heard the news was that he had some type of congenital heart anomoly like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy HCM (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000192.htm)

also, if he had lost a lot of weight recently that can cause electrolyte abnormalities that can impair heart function

i guess my point is that there are a lot of things other than the side effect of a supplement that might have resulted in his death

ucfryan
08-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind the game was played at Mile High Field. Tragic in any case.