PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 live hand--bad push?

tdarko
08-21-2005, 03:48 AM
button is a maniac but tricky, on the flop he has shown a couple overbets with Ax and small pairs but thats really all i have on him since this is my first time at this particular game.

the maniac has me covered in this game, but not by much.

folded to the maniac on the button who raises to 25 (standard). i call from the BB with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

flop is A /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
i bet out 40 and the maniac insta-calls

the turn is a 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
i bet 130 (about pot) and without hesitation the maniac insta-raises 600 into what is like a 235 dollar pot (i think, if my math is correct?). this seems very off to me. anyway i think for a little bit a reraise the rest which was i think 1730.

the maniac has about 1400 left.

was this the wrong play here? i felt that i had fold equity here since there was already a large pot and if he did call i still had a strong draw.

if there is a leak here then please help.

BobboFitos
08-21-2005, 03:50 AM
i dont make money vs maniacs by having them fold

tdarko
08-21-2005, 04:17 AM
yeah you're right, so are you saying i should just fold this hand and wait for a better spot?

but just b/c he is a maniac doesn't mean he won't lay this down, he could have raised with any two cards before the flop. what if he has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif? does a maniac call? and if he doesn't call is it still the wrong play?

BobboFitos
08-21-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah you're right, so are you saying i should just fold this hand and wait for a better spot?

but just b/c he is a maniac doesn't mean he won't lay this down, he could have raised with any two cards before the flop. what if he has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif? does a maniac call? and if he doesn't call is it still the wrong play?

[/ QUOTE ]

i never ever ever ever have advocated the phrase "wait for a better spot"

in fact I refute that from time to time.

I try to advocate the best play and it simply is not having maniacs fold. if you have fold equity, perceieved, scoot it in. calling looks attractive if he'll pay you off. figure out how many outs you have, though.

captZEEbo1
08-21-2005, 04:52 AM
I really doubt he's folding an ace. I think you have to calculate the chance your hand is good now (eg. he has flush draw)...but I like a fold here.

meleader2
08-21-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt he's folding an ace. I think you have to calculate the chance your hand is good now (eg. he has flush draw)...but I like a fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah....the action got way out of control

tdarko
08-21-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt he's folding an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think this is why i am asking if this was a bad push; after his 600 raise what are the chances of a fold even if he is on a flush draw?

b/c this is what happened. he had the K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif and called my push, luckily the river bricked and i got lucky.

there is a TAG in this game and if it were him in this pot would he have folded to my push?

cwl
08-21-2005, 03:35 PM
your play seems reasonable to me. against the vast majority of your opponents hands you have so much equity that the amount of fold equity you need is real low.

when i did the math when he has Ax no club your push here is actually a tiny bit +ev even when he calls you 100% of the time. when you add in even the smallest amount of fold equity and the very real possibility that he has a much weaker hand your play looks that much better.