PDA

View Full Version : Strange hand. I get check/raised every street.

ebranig
08-21-2005, 03:33 AM
Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.00 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.00 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.00 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.00 BB.

I'm speechless.

Jake (The Snake)
08-21-2005, 03:36 AM
I 3-bet the flop. Helps you on the big street figure out what's going on a little bit better and avoids this type of thing. Also, he has a hand so if it's just a queen or jack he'll likely call all the way down. Might as well get as much as you can from him.

If you were waiting to raise the turn I can't argue too much with how you played it, I just prefer to get things moving on the flop.

ebranig
08-21-2005, 03:40 AM
def was waiting to raise the turn. I thought this was a classic AQ, QJ protecting his pot move on the flop and I think 95% of players lead this turn.

W. Deranged
08-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Can I get read on villain here?

This hand basically sucks. I see no problem with how you played it. You obviously bet the flop. I think waiting to raise the turn is totally fine here. Once the turn is checked you have to bet. River counterfeits QJ or Q9 and I think checking is too weak.

I think this is just one of those hands where you have to lose 5 BB with AA. Your opponent probably is either a total nut or plays quite well and is exploiting your well-intended value-betting tendencies.

Jake (The Snake)
08-21-2005, 03:51 AM
I think that's defenetely a fair way to look at it. If villain is a thinking player it's probably good to mix it up a little bit.

Another reason I like to play fast on the flop as my default play is because more villains seem to be skeptical of flop three bets than turn raises. Just about every villain knows that a turn raise after a flop call means big hand so they tend to fold hands that they would have called had you just 3bet the flop. Maybe they think Hero is just 3-betting for a free card or something.

ebranig
08-21-2005, 03:54 AM
no read on villain. He was new to the table.

Turned out to be an idiot. he tables Kd9d, mhig.

W. Deranged
08-21-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no read on villain. He was new to the table.

Turned out to be an idiot. he tables Kd9d, mhig.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any real missed bets here. If you knew villain was a maniac, I guess you could have three-bet the flop and hoped he went crazy later, but you didn't know that.

ebranig
08-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah. Agreed on all points.

I think our two variations are the standard plays and maybe half the time you counterfeit their two pair and half the time you lose to a set. This outcome was definitely quite rare. I also posted this hand because I can't remember the last time I was check/raised every street. Can you?

W. Deranged
08-21-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Agreed on all points.

I think our two variations are the standard plays and maybe half the time you counterfeit their two pair and half the time you lose to a set. This outcome was definitely quite rare. I also posted this hand because I can't remember the last time I was check/raised every street. Can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get check-raised on every street, I figure one of two things is going on:

1. Your opponent plays well and just said Booyah!

2. Your opponent is a total idiot messing around.

It's a way ahead/way behind situation, so to speak. Normal, average players simply don't do this. They are neither creative nor retarded enough to do so.

Just_Like_on_TV
08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
I've only seen it once that I can remember. It was at a live 4/8 game, and the check-raiser happened to be a total maniac (never seen so many bluffs), but he also happened to flop a set of A's on the particular hand, so the above statement is correct, could be both as well /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

brettbrettr
08-21-2005, 06:19 PM
FWIW, I play it the same, looking to raise the turn. River's a must bet b/c you justr counterfeieted two piar.

Do you feel dirty?

brettbrettr
08-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Will,

He would have to have a heck of a read to c/r on all three here knowing Hero would bet. Given the pre-flop action--Hero, an aggressive player who knows his values, will be raising a lot of hands in this spot. I fail to see any way this guy could have know that.

If Hero was UTG, maybe he does this with QJ. But I doubt it.

brett