PDA

View Full Version : Should I have completed?

08-21-2005, 03:00 AM
7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

I normally play hi/lo, not very good at it but that's what I play most. So I'm not sure how to play a starting hand like this.

Seat 3 seems to play anything and has called down open over pairs chasing 3 of a kind, straights(inside straights even) and flushes to the river.

Seat 6 had just sat down a few hands earlier but seemed to see 4th every time.

Seat 7 seems good to me. Folds a lot. I watched this guy take $40 off the table from these people chasing while playing very few hands. I'm giving him some respect.

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds

4th Street - (3.60 SB)

Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___raises___calls

5th Street - (10.80 BB)

Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls

6th Street - (13.80 BB)

Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds

River - (15.80 BB)

Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___folds

Total pot: 15.80 BB

I noticed the seven out but since no jacks or diamonds were out(and they're loosely connected) AND nobody completed I figured I had a pretty good hand. I'm new(planning to get some books in the next week or so) so I'm still learning when a good pair with a weak kicker is a "good" hand.

I bet on 4th because the table was pretty passive at times and would check around. The reraise was because I was afraid if I just called I wouldn't know if I was behind. If I got reraised I'd have to figure 2 pair or 3 of a kind. It's also possible his raise was to try and get a free card.

Since I didn't get reraised on 5th I'm guessing I'm against 2 pair(if that) and not 3 of a kind. Maybe I shoulda checked and hoped seat 7 bet into me? I bet for 2 reasons; to see how strong his hand was(a raise means there's a good chance I may be behind) and if I don't bet I give him the chance to improve for free.

One other question. I see people ask about starting hands and 3 flush gets mentioned. Would even a really weak 3 flush(9 high but not connected enough to make a straight and a couple of the cards are out) be playable if nobody completed? I'm guessing if somebody completes and it's then raised this would be a fold almost every time(that's what I've been doing anyway)? What if it's just completed?

Thanks

benneh
08-21-2005, 06:15 AM
looks fine up to the river. if he hit his draw i want himto bet so i can check raise. betting out pretty much tells him "id ont care if you hit a flush/straight" or whatever. and if he only has 2 pair he's not going to call you obviously, so the check looks like the right play to me. its late and i could be reading stuff wrong though.

also, i think that line is more specifically for when you have 2 pair on board (right guys?). so maybe betting out like you did is the right thing with a board that has trips.

i have no idea what im talking about.

08-21-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One other question. I see people ask about starting hands and 3 flush gets mentioned. Would even a really weak 3 flush(9 high but not connected enough to make a straight and a couple of the cards are out) be playable if nobody completed? I'm guessing if somebody completes and it's then raised this would be a fold almost every time(that's what I've been doing anyway)? What if it's just completed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worded the 3 flush question wrong. If the flush is completely live(I think that's the term I want) but two or more of the cards in your hand are out is it still playable ?
Example: You have 924 and 2 9 9 is out.

Roland
08-21-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I worded the 3 flush question wrong. If the flush is completely live(I think that's the term I want) but two or more of the cards in your hand are out is it still playable ?
Example: You have 924 and 2 9 9 is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. If you are going to be heads-up you should throw it away. (You should probably throw this away even if all your pair cards are live, unless you think you’re opponent may be stealing). But if it’s going to be a multi-way pot (and this will be the case the majority of the time at these stakes) you should definitely play, even for a full bet. The reason is that you are not looking to win by pairing one of your cards - you’re looking to make a flush.
I could go on and on, but this is the basic idea.

Roland
08-21-2005, 01:32 PM
3rd street:
If you complete, it’ll be for value, since you can’t knock anyone out. So, is it worth it?
I think it’s pretty close.
Reasons to complete: a) you figure to have the best pair right now; seat 7 probably doesn’t have queens. b) Seats 3&6 are bound to have very little. c) You have a live 2-flush.
Reasons to limp: a) A seven is dead; b) this is going to be a 4-way pot; with only two limper, for instance, you’re jacks would be much more valuable; c) you’re position relative to the queen: there’s a good chance the queen will be high on 4th street and bet, giving you the chance to raise and hopefully get it heads-up.

This last point tips the scale, in my mind. I’d limp.

4th street:
You should definitely double bet here. Give them a chance to fold, or to make a bigger error by calling.
Now the “good” player raises. Uh oh. To tell you the truth, I never know what to do here. He either has you crushed with trip eights or queens up, or he’s trying for the free card/ thinks you have only sevens/ who knows.
I don’t think you can get away from this hand though. And since you are going to play, you should stay the aggressor I think. I like the re-raise.

5th street:
Yes, definitely bet here. You decided he was getting stupid on 4th, so stick with that.

River:
I wouldn’t try to check-raise here. He might not bet a straight (for obvious reasons), but he’s definitely going to call with it.
Besides, you don’t want to be check-raising the unlikely aces full. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

All in all, you played it like very well.