PDA

View Full Version : Selfish or not selfish?

YourFoxyGrandma
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Here's the deal.

Girlfriend lives in Pittsburgh, I'm in Baltimore. We're both going back to school shortly and I wanted to drive up to see her one last time before summer's over.

The problem: I live with my parents and 2 brothers (aged 14 and 17). We have 3 cars. My parents both have work during the day and my older brother has cross country practice at his high school which is about 15 mins away from our house.

I originally made plans to leave this Saturday for PA and come back early Tuesday (gf has off work Sunday through Tuesday) not knowing that my brother was starting practice this week. I learn of said practice the day I'm leaving (Saturday) which would mean that I'd have to come back home the next day (Sunday) for my brother to have the car for practice (Monday).

It would be silly of me to make the 5 hour drive to stay over with my girlfriend for a night and come back the next day, so I call her and tell her I can't make it cause of my brother, blah blah.

Immediately she is angry with me and is dumbfounded that I didn't just ask my brother to get a ride with someone on his team so I could have the car. Now, I'm the kindof guy that doesn't like people to go out of their way for me, but even so, I felt it a selfish thing to do to ask one of my brother's teammates whom I do not know to pick him up and drop him off before and after practice. He goes to a private school so none of the kids on the team live anywhere near us.

kerssens
08-21-2005, 01:47 AM
bus?

astroglide
08-21-2005, 01:47 AM
http://www.celebrationoffaith.org/images/tracts/00whocares.gif

swede123
08-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Not necessarily selfish. Your G/F is overreacting from the sound of things. However, she's your bitch and you gotta put up with these kind of things from women at times. Why not check with your brother if he can easily find a ride. Finally, if your woman is always pulling this kind of crap yes you should drop her. But if this is somewhat uncommon and usually she doesn't freak out about small stuff it's definitely not cause for dumping.

Swede

Alobar
08-21-2005, 02:10 AM
dude, its your brothers cross country practice. Its not that big a deal, Im sure he can find a ride.

p.s. how old are you? get your own car

Vince Young
08-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Why doesn't he just walk?

touchfaith
08-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Haven't you learned anything from TV?

Beat him up.

nervous
08-21-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or run.

Edge34
08-21-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its cross country, make his ass run. Apparently he enjoys it enough.

nothumb
08-21-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, its your brothers cross country practice. Its not that big a deal, Im sure he can find a ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct response. Tell him you're bringing back boobie pictures.

NT

The Stranger
08-21-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dump girlfriend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes because you're too young to have a girlfriend.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-21-2005, 03:33 AM
I guess flaming was to be expected. A small clarification:

The point of this poll was to figure out if I'm unusually unwilling to ask people for favors, which appears to be the case. This whole situation isn't really a big deal to me and I wasn't really looking for practical advice, just to get an idea of how off base I am with my thinking, if at all.

Also, the dump girlfriend question was a joke. It seems like there's always at least one person says "dump her, man. seriously" in threads containing the word girlfriend.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-21-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20. And I'm working on it.

gorie
08-21-2005, 09:45 AM
i can understand you not wanting to ask, but i don't think it's too big of a deal to ask your brother if it's a possibility before giving up on the idea of going to see her. if he acts like it is a big hassle, then i wouldn't push the issue.

Easy E
08-21-2005, 09:57 AM
You're not selfish- you're stupid

TheIrishThug
08-21-2005, 10:57 AM
def talk to ur brother before calling it off. even if it would be annoying to get a ride from someone, he should take one for the team and help u out to get some ass.

B00T
08-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Give your brother $50 to take a cab to and from practice. He can spend the remaining $20 and go home and order some dinner for himself.

NLSoldier
08-21-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give your brother $50 to take a cab to and from practice. He can spend the remaining $20 and go home and order some dinner for himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

hyde
08-21-2005, 05:10 PM
"The point of this poll was to figure out if I'm unusually unwilling to ask people for favors, which appears to be the case. "

go deeper. You are willing to ask the GF to forget the last get together but not willing to even ask brother to see if he can get a ride.
If the car needs to be in the shop for a few days is he off the team?
this situation seems like a really simple logistics problem......it doesn't seem like the Gf is very important to you.
I'm willng to bet you've been dumped. Justifiably.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
She is important to me. This whole thing wasn't a huge deal; I'll see her in a week or two either way.

NorCalJosh
08-21-2005, 07:01 PM
hyde actually made a great point. you are willing to cancel a "last get together for the summer" on the day of the event with a long distance girlfriend, but unwilling to see if your brother could find a ride home for 2 days. i'd say she is very justifiably upset. you should be worried if she didnt get upset, cause that would mean she just doesnt care about seeing your ass that much.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I worked a 45 hour week this summer and made the 5 hour drive up and back twice a month on weekends. We're fairly serious and I care about her very much. This trip also wasn't really special in any way; last weekend I planned an end of summer trip to the beach for the both of us which was an awesome time. As it turned out, she had off work this weekend and part of next week so I thought I'd try and come up.

Also, I don't know how much people actually read threads, but I did mention:

[ QUOTE ]
The point of this poll was to figure out if I'm unusually unwilling to ask people for favors, which appears to be the case. This whole situation isn't really a big deal to me and I wasn't really looking for practical advice, just to get an idea of how off base I am with my thinking, if at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

though, your concern is appreciated.

cadillac1234
08-21-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its cross country, make his ass run. Apparently he enjoys it enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people feel the need to run in groups anyways?