PDA

View Full Version : Setting a trap with AA

djoyce003
08-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Alright guys. Hand history not really relevant for this one so i'm doing it by memory.

Relevant Stacks

UTG 200
CO 100
Button - 300
Hero - 220

UTG is new and no reads.
CO is a maniac 60/30 or so.
Button is 26/2.
Button has twice massively overplayed medium pocket pairs. He pushed with 99 on a 7 high flop against a preflop raiser, and he pushed with 10 10 against me and another player on a 8 high flop.

Onto the hand.

Hero is the SB and finds the A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG limps.
CO raises to 7 (std raise for him)
Button Raises to 20.
Given his propensity to overplay pockets I flat call.
UTG Calls
CO Folds.

Like it/hate it?

stu-unger
08-21-2005, 01:13 AM
i like it if u know that the CO has a brain and will fold his hand pre-flop. i like to do this occasionally. whats your plan on the flop of all babies? on a Q high flop? and on an A high flop?

djoyce003
08-21-2005, 01:19 AM
well if the flop is all babies i'm leading half the pot, hoping he raises. If he calls, i'm pushing the turn, if he raises all in i'm of course calling.

If the flop comes with a J, Q, or K, i'm probably in danger of him having flopped a set, but I don't think i can turn back. I probably check/call down unless he doesn't bet.

If the flop comes Ace high i'm probably screwed from an action stand point, but i'll probably check the flop, check the turn, and hopefully let him bet it for me.....if he has a pocket smaller than an ace he probably shuts down.

I'm pretty sure he has 10 10 or better here....maybe AK but it isn't as likely given my cards.

Proofrock
08-21-2005, 02:00 AM
When you say button massively overplays medium pairs, does this include calling all-ins preflop? If he's willing to get all-in preflop, I don't see any need to trap -- just push right here. Otherwise, this line is fine if you're pretty sure UTG will fold (I like this line much better if it's just you, CO and button). I'm not so crazy about playing a potentially 4-way pot out of position. I'm shocked CO didn't call the raise here.

-cj

djoyce003
08-21-2005, 02:04 AM
I figured CO was folding....he'd folded to min-reraises. he was raising with crap a lot of the time. If he called this I could significantly narrow his hand range.

Button massively overplayed them post flop on flops that were all babies. If he had JJ and the flop was 10 high, i could be fairly confident that he'd push post flop, or call a checkraise all in. I don't think he'd call an all in preflop...he's not that bad.

imported_anacardo
08-21-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright guys. Hand history not really relevant for this one so i'm doing it by memory.

Relevant Stacks

UTG 200
CO 100
Button - 300
Hero - 220

UTG is new and no reads.
CO is a maniac 60/30 or so.
Button is 26/2.
Button has twice massively overplayed medium pocket pairs. He pushed with 99 on a 7 high flop against a preflop raiser, and he pushed with 10 10 against me and another player on a 8 high flop.

Onto the hand.

Hero is the SB and finds the A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG limps.
CO raises to 7 (std raise for him)
Button Raises to 20.
Given his propensity to overplay pockets I flat call.
UTG Calls
CO Folds.

Like it/hate it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like this better with position, but vs. our maniacal friend it's probably fine. Just know that you've already stacked your own ass if the flop comes bad for you.

GimmeDaWatch
08-21-2005, 01:05 PM
If he's overplaying his hands that much post-flop, something tells me he's not folding to a re-raise. Obviously, there's a very good chance he will NOT flop an overpair, and if he does why not make it that much easier for him to get all the money in there. You don't have to push preflop, just make it 55 or whatever.