PDA

View Full Version : Social Debacle

ClaytonN
08-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Okay, here's a scenario that I have found myself in.

I am flat out a non-drinker/partier. I don't know why, really. I just don't want to find myself in a situation involving lots of alcohol and going nuts. It's just not my deal.

So, the question is, am I missing out on something, or am I doing the right thing by sticking to my values?

The trade-off is that I meet a lot of cool people with similar interests, but all on the more conservative side. The bad part of it is that I also connect with people who like going to parties and getting hammered, but by not associating myself with that kinda deal I feel like I'm isolating myself from these friends. And having more conservative friends means conservative chicks. Which is bad, if you get my drift.

So, what to do?

newfant
08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Stay sober and take advantage of the drunk chicks. There's nothing worse than being within 30 seconds of getting laid and then throwing up on the girls' snatch because you are wasted.

jakethebake
08-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Go hang out and be the sober one at parties. The girls will still be drunk.

Or just have a beer or two. You don't have to get shitfaced to enjoy a party.

08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So, what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on a killing spree.

AdamL
08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am flat out a non-drinker/partier. I don't know why, really. I just don't want to find myself in a situation involving lots of alcohol and going nuts. It's just not my deal.

So, the question is, am I missing out on something, or am I doing the right thing by sticking to my values?

The trade-off is that I meet a lot of cool people with similar interests, but all on the more conservative side. The bad part of it is that I also connect with people who like going to parties and getting hammered, but by not associating myself with that kinda deal I feel like I'm isolating myself from these friends. And having more conservative friends means conservative chicks. Which is bad, if you get my drift.

So, what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are, because you posted this. You wouldn't be missing anything, but now you are curious, you should try it. Make sure you aren't sober while everyone else is drunk, that's not the point. Get drunk with them.

You'll see.

Alobar
08-20-2005, 11:55 PM
do what ever makes you the happiest. But I can give you an honest view from both sides of the coin.

For close to 3 years after I graduated HS, I didnt drink AT ALL. And I never like felt I was missing anything to much. I mean I saw everyone having fun and stuff, and because of various factors I didnt get involved in that stuff. Then I started drinking agian. I had more fun and met more cool people and learned more about life and relationships and all that crap just from drinking than I ever would have otherwise. I look back and some of the best memories I have in life are from getting piss ass drunk with my friends. I would have missed out on a lot life has to offer had I stayed with my hard line "im not drinking" stance. People who dont drink will say that is sad, that you have to drink to have fun or whatever. But thats not the case, and even if it is, I don't care, because its all been worth it.

mmbt0ne
08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

So, what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are, because you posted this. You wouldn't be missing anything, but now you are curious, you should try it. Make sure you aren't sober while everyone else is drunk, that's not the point. Get drunk with them.

You'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to reply the opposite, but this is a good point actually. You don't have to get totally off your ass trashed though. Like jake said, have a beer or two, and just chill.

Alobar
08-20-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to get totally off your ass trashed though. Like jake said, have a beer or two, and just chill.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, You dont gotta get stupid trashed all the time. You gotta know your limits and stay within them. But the bonding you do when drinking/partying with people is pretty awesome

squeek12
08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Start a DD service and commence raking in cash. There are also many other ways to take advantage of drunk people. Go to bars and offer to go to the bar to get people drinks. Feel free to keep a portion of the change for your services.

But in all seriousness, I would at least recommend some social drinking. A few drinks here and there won't comprimise your ideals, and won't make you a partier, but it will loosen you up a little and allow you make make some connections that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Tyler Durden
08-21-2005, 12:01 AM
So drinking taught you stuff about life and relationships? that sounds pretty dumb if you think about it. actually it sounds dumb even if you don't think about it.

Alobar
08-21-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So drinking taught you stuff about life and relationships? that sounds pretty dumb if you think about it. actually it sounds dumb even if you don't think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, like I said, people who dont drink/party arent going to get it.

AdamL
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
The point is not to judge, just to be a part of it. Be a part of something you otherwise have been afraid/weary of.

zoomOut
08-21-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's an awesome bonding thing that happens when two people are drunk and sharing the same laughs and buzzing at the same time. It takes away a lot of the normal inhibitions and sometimes the conversation gets skewed in a way it normally wouldn't and that's worth experiencing at least a few times.

It's fun to party with your co-workers because everyone is so much more fun and affectionate than normal. Don't get totally trashed though. That's never pretty.

AdamL
08-21-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it dumb?

Guyon
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But in all seriousness, I would at least recommend some social drinking. A few drinks here and there won't comprimise your ideals, and won't make you a partier, but it will loosen you up a little and allow you make make some connections that you wouldn't have otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking from both sides of the coin, the key to happiness is moderation. Living like a tool should lead you to a long life with regretfulness of missed opportunities for good times, but living like a rock star should lead you to a short life. Don't ever pass up opportunities for expanding your horizons, unless it involves an unusually high risk of death. I'm sure Sklansky can derive a loose theorem for this.

squeek12
08-21-2005, 12:37 AM
speaking of living like a tool, nice avatar...welcome to the forum n00b /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Turkish
08-21-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I am flat out a non-drinker/partier. I don't know why, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting, as I am a non drinker as well, but I know why. The fact that you don't makes it seem like it doesn't matter to you either way. If i felt like this, I would probably just do it to loosen up. However, if you actually have a reason for it, that should probably be making the choice for you slightly easier. I'm sure all the points that have been made about drunken "connections" with other people or whatever are all valid, but i'm fairly confident you could get by just fine without them. Good luck either way.

RunDownHouse
08-21-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a bit of a problem. If you have a principal, you should at least know why you have it. Otherwise, you're simply being ignorant. There's nothing inherently wrong with getting drunk, but that's kind of the way you're making it sound, almost as if you're worried it will change who you are or have irreversible consequences.

tonypaladino
08-21-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's a dumb comment at all.
You don't learn anything about life unless you actually live your life.

morgan180
08-21-2005, 12:52 AM
there's a difference between having a couple of beers and getting drunk and going nuts. you should ask yourself why you have such negative views towards alcohol. once you can answer those to yourself personally you'll find a way to fit in to the situation which you currently feel excluded from. i had a good friend and fraternity brother who didn't drink and it did alienate him from the rest of the guys because he would be bored at parties, etc. But he decided to have a couple of beers and that there wasn't anything inherently wrong with being responsible with alcohol like he was with everything else and then really enjoyed himself and the experience while staying true to what he believed in.

rusellmj
08-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Isn't there some middle ground here? Seems like you're including only two options. Total stiff or waste case.

irishpint
08-21-2005, 12:54 AM
getting really shitty is fun from time to time, but just having a beer with buddies never grows old.

fluxrad
08-21-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stay sober and take advantage of the drunk chicks. There's nothing worse than being within 30 seconds of getting laid and then throwing up on the girls' snatch because you are wasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will totally kill your alibi.

gumpzilla
08-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm not entirely sure why, but this . . .

[ QUOTE ]
And having more conservative friends means conservative chicks. Which is bad, if you get my drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

gives me the impression that you're trying a little too hard. Ease up a bit and don't analyze it all so much.

Unless your reasons for not drinking involve religious principles, a family history of alcoholism or the like, I think you should get out there and try it. While there's nothing wrong with people who don't drink, if your reasons are "getting wasted just isn't my scene" you're going to come across as preachy and stiff. Plus, there is a world of difference between reasonable recreational drinking and getting truly smashed. There are plenty of people who get a big kick out of the former and aren't big fans of the latter. If you've tried it and don't like it, and don't like the party scene, then find something else that you do like and don't worry about whether the girls will put out, because in the end most of them will.

It generally takes some experience with alcohol before you learn how to handle it well. My first year of college friends told me that I was an overbearing, obnoxious drunk, which offended me at the time but is in hindsight dead on. It takes a little while to find good limits for yourself and to learn how to behave when you've had a reasonable amount to drink. While you're young and in college is a great time to pick up the practice. People I know who didn't start drinking until relatively late in life frequently drink like morons because they didn't get enough of the stupid [censored] in while they were 17.

irishpint
08-21-2005, 01:13 AM
watch girls get drunk, use your sober slickness to hook up w/ them. remind them that drunk guys are sloppy kissers and can't finish- remind them that you can put it anywhere they want it.

ClaytonN
08-21-2005, 01:30 AM
Okay, I thought I'd give this thread a little time to grow, and I appreciate all the responses.

Basically, my fears (or dislikes) involving alcohol mainly involve the following:

-fears of getting caught
-fears of adverse affects

I've had "drunk like" symptoms before, but they were associated with syncopy-related issues, so I can't seperate feeling tispy with fainting and/or med probs. Therefore I could basically never drink hard.

A lot of it has to do with avoiding rule-breaking and fear of troubles associated with underaged drinking.

It's one of those deals where my mind really should say I should go out and enjoy myself but not go too far, but by bastard conscious is getting in the way. Or something like that.

RunDownHouse
08-21-2005, 01:39 AM
There must be thousands of freshmen getting drunk every weekend at UGA. Being one of them will almost definitely not get you in trouble.

I'm not sure what you meant by med-related problems. Obviously, if you have a medical condition that makes drinking unsafe, then you probably shouldn't do it without talking to your doctor.

Tyler Durden
08-21-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a lot of drinking/partying in my college years and this still sounds moronic.

ChipWrecked
08-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Dude, football season hasn't even started yet. I predict you will be puking on your shoes at least once before Christmas.

I don't mean that in a bad way /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tyler Durden
08-21-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's a dumb comment at all.
You don't learn anything about life unless you actually live your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure but you can live your life w/o drinking. I don't think you should, but and Alobar make it seem like you're missing out on something huge. Kinda like what religious fanatics would say about having no faith.

New001
08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Just don't drive or get obnoxiously drunk in public, and don't get trashed. Obviously though, if you do have medical issues, don't do anything stupid with regards to them. Have fun with it.

mcb
08-21-2005, 02:00 AM
i agree with alobar. as for getting caught, it does suck but 20 years from now it won't really matter

Alobar
08-21-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a lot of drinking/partying in my college years and this still sounds moronic.

[/ QUOTE ]

*shrug* to each his own. I guess I just partied with cooler people than you did and had a much better time. And I never said not doing it was missing out on something huge, just that I would have missed out on lots of things if I hadnt started drinking again, and that I'm glad I did. Everybody is different, what works for one person isnt going to work for another, but yeah I think if you dont ever go out and have fun in a young social setting (which mostly means alcohol) simply because you dont wanna try it, then you are missing out. If you find you dont like it, then great, dont do it.

Tyler Durden
08-21-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just partied with cooler people than you did and had a much better time.

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Edge34
08-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Clayton,

I'll be honest with you. For a while, I was worried about the rules and whatnot. And while I'm not going around screaming "[censored] tha police", I can safely say now that drinking, when you handle it somewhat responsibly, isn't a big problem at all. You live in the dorms, right? I know there's no way UGA's a dry campus, but if it is and you get caught, the penalties won't be nearly as severe as you think they might be. They're not going to tell your parents or anything like that.

That said, you shouldn't do anything you don't want to do. But I doubt you would be asking us these questions if you knew for sure you didn't want to do it. You have to give things a shot to know whether its for you or not...you may open yourself up to lots of things you didn't expect through your college years (not just drinking, in general).

Alobar
08-21-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just partied with cooler people than you did and had a much better time.

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, ok. I guess that settles it then

Tyler Durden
08-21-2005, 02:31 AM
glad you see it my way

morgan180
08-21-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I thought I'd give this thread a little time to grow, and I appreciate all the responses.

Basically, my fears (or dislikes) involving alcohol mainly involve the following:

-fears of getting caught
-fears of adverse affects

I've had "drunk like" symptoms before, but they were associated with syncopy-related issues, so I can't seperate feeling tispy with fainting and/or med probs. Therefore I could basically never drink hard.

A lot of it has to do with avoiding rule-breaking and fear of troubles associated with underaged drinking.

It's one of those deals where my mind really should say I should go out and enjoy myself but not go too far, but by bastard conscious is getting in the way. Or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

you remind me a lot of myself when i was your age. i was very serious, studious and conservative when i first went to college. what i realized is that i was letting some opportunities pass me by based on my previously constructed values which after some careful reflection really were only based off of a limited experience set of growing up in a protected environment. once i realized that drinking isn't 'wrong' i relaxed a little bit and didn't take everything so seriously. i had some drinks and realized that i wasn't going to hell, the world wasn't going to end, i couldn't get in major trouble as long as i was still my responsible self, could still get great grades, and have a great time socially.

good luck, you'll figure out what is best for you. you sound like a good guy.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-21-2005, 04:16 AM
I didn't drink or go to alot of parties until I was out of high school and I don't regret it.

EliteNinja
08-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Holy crap, I'm wasted...
/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SammyKid11
08-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Clayton..

Aren't you the guy that was talking the other day about your awesome roommate...you know, "frat guy into religion" boy that everyone else went, "uh -- holy crap, THAT's your idea of a cool guy?"

If so, you're the guy who just went to college? Do I have the right guy? If I do, for the sake of Pete...loosen up, have a few drinks, sometimes get shitfaced, sometimes just chill with a beer, hook up with some girls, wear some of their panties on your head while walking home from their dorm at 7 the next morning when you wake up and must have Whataburger or else you'll die......LIVE, THIS IS YOUR BEST CHANCE TO DO CRAZY STUFF. DON'T BLOW IT.

If you're not who I think you are and you're in a totally different boat...still don't disregard what I have to say. Just relax. No one's going to think less of you for having a few drinks (and if they do, you should think less of them).

1800GAMBLER
08-21-2005, 07:18 AM
If you are naturally outgoing, fun and confident it's nothing major to not drink. If you are the type who needs a few beers to speak to people/dance/talk to girls/do stupid fun [censored], then drinking will be great for you.

sthief09
08-21-2005, 07:38 AM
go out, drink till you black out, have someone recount the night the next dya, and you'll be sold

08-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Hey Alobar, you're picture looks familiar, is that a Titan eating one of his children? I forget the name, starts with a C maybe?

lucas9000
08-21-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all through undergrad, i neither drank nor did any drugs. ALL my friends did one or the other or both though. i still went to parties, bars, etc, and i had the time of my life. college was literally the best time of my life. i had tons of fun with my friends, went out with hot chicks, the whole nine yards. so, it's definitely not impossible. if you don't want to drink and [censored] you don't have to, and you can still have a lot of fun. just because you don't drink doesn't mean you can't go out and party and [censored], and it doesn't mean you have to have "conservative friends."

Brainwalter
08-21-2005, 09:50 AM
It's "Tabacle". And this isn't one.

SippinSoma
08-21-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-fears of getting caught

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see the po po, put the cup on the floor. Done.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Me and my friends went to a party and they had canned beer. Before we left we stuffed our pockets and were walking down the busiest street and the one most kids get busted on. We see a cop car approaching and get into a bit of a "OH Sh.." panic, but seconds before we ran into a visiting professor... my friend hands him the beer he was drinking (the only open one among the group) and the professor actually starts drinking it. It was awesome, and I'm pretty sure it helped us from getting messed with by the po...

EDIT: At some point, a beer was placed upon the ground in the middle of all of this. That's why I thought of this story.

gumpzilla
08-21-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me and my friends went to a party and they had canned beer. Before we left we stuffed our pockets and were walking down the busiest street and the one most kids get busted on. We see a cop car approaching and get into a bit of a "OH Sh.." panic, but seconds before we ran into a visiting professor... my friend hands him the beer he was drinking (the only open one among the group) and the professor actually starts drinking it. It was awesome, and I'm pretty sure it helped us from getting messed with by the po...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they have open container laws in Massachusetts, so I'm kinda surprised they didn't mess with you anyway.

masse75
08-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Start Busting the J...skip alcohol all together.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-21-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they have open container laws in Massachusetts, so I'm kinda surprised they didn't mess with you anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, they pulled into a driveway right behind us, but the driveway happened to be the driveway to the dorm where the party we just came from was. I feel like they noticed the people outside and the music, etc. and went to pick on them instead. I really think they were going to screw us over royally, but we lucked out SOMEHOW, because I'm positive the cops inside the car looked directly at us.

billyjex
08-21-2005, 11:55 AM
suck it up and drink a beer you pussy

touchfaith
08-21-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already know your answer.

Changing for the sake of 'fitting in' rarely works or, more importantly, rarely worth it.

Guyon
08-21-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
welcome to the forum n00b /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, man! If I ever heard someone use n00b in casual conversation, I might just crap out of my mouth.

Stupid terms like noob (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish)

Voltron87
08-21-2005, 10:31 PM
at least once a month you should do something social that is out of the ordinary. hang with a different crew, or drink, just try something new.