PDA

View Full Version : It is HOT!

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Our Central Heat & Air unit bit the dust today, and now my house is somewhere over 95 degrees(the needle on the thermostat stops at 95).

I had to board my Bulldog, Winston(see Avatar), with the vet until Monday or Tuesday when we can get a new unit delivered and installed.

The bright side...Man I am shedding some water weight /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Alobar
08-20-2005, 09:50 PM
dude, I feel your pain. My A/C went out a few weeks ago, and it was 102 degrees in my house, and every single repair place was booked solid. not fun!

jdl22
08-20-2005, 09:54 PM
I just got a new apartment but I'm too cheap to get air so I'm going through the same thing.

Here's what I would reccomend: get a fan if you don't have one, take cold water scoop a little in your hands and spread it over your chest as well as arms and neck. Then sit in front of the fan letting the water evaporate. Cools you down very quickly. Otherwise you could wrap some ice in a towel or take some frozen veggies from the freezer and put it on your neck. Lots of blood flowing through there so it cools you down well.

Alobar
08-20-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got a new apartment but I'm too cheap to get air so I'm going through the same thing.

Here's what I would reccomend: get a fan if you don't have one, take cold water scoop a little in your hands and spread it over your chest as well as arms and neck. Then sit in front of the fan letting the water evaporate. Cools you down very quickly. Otherwise you could wrap some ice in a towel or take some frozen veggies from the freezer and put it on your neck. Lots of blood flowing through there so it cools you down well.

[/ QUOTE ]

the slightly less gay approach to rubbing yourself down with water like a bad backstreetboy video is to just buy a .99 cent water bottle and use the mister feature.

DDC67
08-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Saturday 8-20-05 at 10:oo pm and it's 65 degrees in Portland, Maine. Come on up and enjoy some lobster!

Dave

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-20-2005, 10:00 PM
New apt w/broken AC. I feel your pain.

-Craig

ThaSaltCracka
08-20-2005, 10:05 PM
AC is for pussies, unless you live in AZ, NM, or some other absurdly hot area. Its been 90 here for atleast 3 weeks.

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saturday 8-20-05 at 10:oo pm and it's 65 degrees in Portland, Maine. Come on up and enjoy some lobster!

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my family moved here in 1990 from Traverse City, Michigan in the summer. Meridian, Mississippi had 29 days of 100+ degrees with high humidity, I thought then I was in HELL and then seeing all the christian goodie-goodies proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

IronDragon1
08-20-2005, 10:07 PM
I feel the pain of everyone in ridiculously hot areas w/o air conditioning but I am more filled with a sense of relief that this thread was not about/did not contain a picture of a shirtless man

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AC is for pussies, unless you live in AZ, NM, or some other absurdly hot area. Its been 90 here for atleast 3 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Today was 98 degress with a heat index of 107 degress and 87% humidity. Yuck!!!

08-20-2005, 10:10 PM
I live in a house and have my own air condition. They are only $100 these days. You tight wads.

DDC67
08-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Steve,
With your buddy kenneled, you should go to your nearest B&R and enjoy all the A.C. you can get as you take hugh pots off tourist...

Alobar
08-20-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in a house and have my own air condition. They are only $100 these days. You tight wads.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant even get a little swamp cooler for $100. I dunno what you are smoking. It costs a couple grand for a decent A/C

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel the pain of everyone in ridiculously hot areas w/o air conditioning but I am more filled with a sense of relief that this thread was not about/did not contain a picture of a shirtless man

[/ QUOTE ]

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/austin_powers_in_goldmember/mike_myers/goldmember5.jpg

There you go.

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve,
With your buddy kenneled, you should go to your nearest B&R and enjoy all the A.C. you can get as you take hugh pots off tourist...

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you didn't read about last night I am still pissed off about it. Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3193109&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1) And the last thing I need to do is be in a B&M right now.

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do not have a itsy bitsy window unit and this is not my neighbor.
http://www.davegeeonline.com/tv/macgyver-dvd/macgyver-dvd-season-one.jpg

DDC67
08-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I did miss that post from last night, but it's not like you donked off half your bankroll

STLantny
08-20-2005, 10:35 PM
No AC here either, I have 2 window units for my studio apt in the garage but Im lazy. Its been a record wave this summer with a heat index of 115-120 for awhile. Plus the humidity is ridic. Id take this over 8 inches of snow any day.

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No AC here either, I have 2 window units for my studio apt in the garage but Im lazy. Its been a record wave this summer with a heat index of 115-120 for awhile. Plus the humidity is ridic. Id take this over 8 inches of snow any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

8 inches of snow is nothing, we got Lake Effect snow and I use to climb up the dog kennel fence to get to the roof of the house and take a running leap into the 3-4 feet of fresh snow.

I am surprised I did not kill myself back then. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
The fan isn't enough and sometimes the air conditioner isn't even enough, so I keep a few Blue Ice type thingies, but hard-sided, in my fridge, different sizes. I've got one big enough to lean my back on, and there are others fine for either holding in my hand or letting rest on my leg or chest or stomach. Putting one on my neck is a very fast way to cool down, because so much blood rushes through there so fast. This especially helps me get to sleep at night, since it lasts for hours, and the heat can otherwise wake me or make me have a very unrestful sleep.

I definitely suffer when it gets too hot. I lose all my energy and sometimes even feel nauseous. And it takes many hours to feel normal again after overheating.

JaBlue
08-20-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Today was 98 degress with a heat index of 107 degress and 87% humidity. Yuck!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's terrible, Steve. I grew up in Richmond, VA where it was constantly 100 with 100% humidity and heat index of 110 in the summer.

Thankfully the weather is mild in the Bay Area.

08-20-2005, 11:09 PM
I have a Window Air conditioner and I'm pretty sure I paid under $150 for it. I could have gotten one for $100, though. What is wrong with you guys ?

mmbt0ne
08-20-2005, 11:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll trade any SW hot for the SE hot. I was in LV for 4 days of 96 degrees, and it felt like heaven compared to even 85 in GA with 80% humidity.

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a Window Air conditioner and I'm pretty sure I paid under $150 for it. I could have gotten one for $100, though. What is wrong with you guys ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Window AC units will not cool a 2000+ Sq Ft house in Mississippi.

08-20-2005, 11:24 PM
How big is 2000 sq ft ? I have no idea. Is that a 3 story mansion ? I like in a normal sized one story house and it has 3 window AC units. One of them is a big 10,000 - 20,000 BTU unit, though.

Talk2BigSteve
08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How big is 2000 sq ft ? I have no idea. Is that a 3 story mansion ? I like in a normal sized one story house and it has 3 window AC units. One of them is a big 10,000 - 20,000 BTU unit, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath brick house, with a living room, den, dining room, kitchen, breakfast nook, laundry room, and 2 car garage.

imported_anacardo
08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath brick house, with a living room, den, dining room, kitchen, breakfast nook, laundry room, and 2 car garage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta say - that dog looks like my kinda badass. Even if "Winston" is slightly overplayed as a bulldog name, it diminisheth not the degree to which he rules.

Blarg
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Window AC units will not cool a 2000+ Sq Ft house in Mississippi.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only have to cool the rooms you're in, though.

Talk2BigSteve
08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta say - that dog looks like my kinda badass. Even if "Winston" is slightly overplayed as a bulldog name, it diminisheth not the degree to which he rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I have a confession.....

I use my Bulldog's real name as alot of my passwords for gaming sites and neteller.

His real name is not Winston Churchill. I use that name when ever I refer to my dog.

imported_anacardo
08-21-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I have a confession.....

I use my Bulldog's real name as alot of my passwords for gaming sites and neteller.

His real name is not Winston Churchill. I use that name when ever I refer to my dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

My respect for your dog-naming sensibilities has marginally increased. /images/graemlins/grin.gif