PDA

View Full Version : Reraising with nut flush draw and two overs on the turn?

lwspoker69
08-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Did I play that okay?

aK13
08-20-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls

Did I play that okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

This part is really bad.

Flop call is pretty thin.

Turn semi-bluff raise is pretty read dependent.

Vote4Pedro
08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
I'd fold or 3bet PF

lwspoker69
08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Should I be reraising both preflop and on the flop?

What is my move on the turn? Just a call?

aK13
08-20-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I be reraising both preflop and on the flop?

What is my move on the turn? Just a call?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be folding preflop unless he's a very light raiser (in which case you 3bet to isolate, light meaning raises a lot of hands) or call only if there's a lot of coldcallers in between. Coldcalling first with ATs is VERY bad -- SSH even tells you this exact hand is bad to play vs. a preflop raise.

You should fold the flop. You have only about 3 outs to your overs and 1.5 to your backdoor draw, and the pot is only laying 8.5:1.

Call the turn, since you're drawing. There's no value in raising, since you are an underdog to make the best hand by the river.

detruncate
08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't like the pf call under most circumstances. If he's raising light enough that you'd consider calling next to act in MP, you should probably raise instead. I could see coldcalling even if you're not a significant favourite if several players behind you are very likely to follow suit. Most times I just fold.

The turn is a reasonable semibluff. It's not, however, a value bet when you're behind. You therefore have to evaluate the chances of taking down down the pot and compare it to what you're being offered in the way of incentive. The trouble comes when he calls and the river blanks and you have to decide whether it's worth trying to push him off a better Ace... but that's another post.

bozlax
08-20-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I play that okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to answer this, you must tell us what you were trying to accomplish. Did you have a read that Villan would fold to your raise?

You're not raising for value. You've got 6 outs to top pair, but those may be tainted if Villan's preflop raising standards are what you'd expect them to be (he might be holding an ace [AK/AQ/AJ] or a high pocket pair [KK/QQ/JJ] that would ruin some or all of your outs). You've got 9 outs to the nut flush. So, at best (if Villan raised preflop with 7x/6x/2x, with x not being an ace, ten, seven, six or two, or if he's going nuts with overcards, one of which isn't an ace), you've got 15 outs, so you're well below 50% equity.

So, in a nutshell, unless a) you have a read that Villan is some kind of mental case, or b) you're psychic and you know you're rivering a spade, this is, by definition, spewing.

lwspoker69
08-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm still new to limit poker, but I'll try and explain my rationale for my moves, even if they are wrong. Villain had been raising a lot of hands preflop, junk like a2o and k9o, so i couldn't put him on a good hand. I suppose raising would have been better, I'll keep that in mind (remember, i'm new at this!)

on the flop i called his bet cause i felt like all he had was two overs, and that maybe i could take it away on the turn. this kind of thinking is probably flawed in limit, but i don't know. now im sort of thinking i played every street wrong. thanks for the advice all.

Nick C
08-21-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain had been raising a lot of hands preflop, junk like a2o and k9o, so i couldn't put him on a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, go ahead and 3-bet. (Well, unless the A2o and K9o raises were steal-raises when Villain was folded to in LP.)

If you were further away from Villain and couldn't isolate like this (let's say there were already a couple of cold-callers by the time the action got to you), then cold-calling becomes more of an option, although even then I might 3-bet, with a hand as good as ATs.

Facing a preflop raise from a more reasonable player, I would just fold the ATs.

ddss6_99
08-21-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
on the flop i called his bet cause i felt like all he had was two overs, and that maybe i could take it away on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anybody else think that if one intended to try to take it away on the turn that maybe a flop raise followed by a turn bet would work better than a flop call and turn raise? I wouldn't really count on most Villains going away for one more bet on the turn, especially in micro limits. Obviously this one did so take it for what it's worth.

deepsquat
08-21-2005, 05:59 AM
fold pf A10s in this spot.

Fold the flop u may be drawing almost dead.

A turn raise may be good here if u can push him off a hand but vs 95% of villains just call here and fold teh river UI.

Dave G.
08-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Given your read, you should 3-bet PF. Then raise the flop, bet the turn. (I've been playing a lot of 6 max lately, so I'm feeling very lagtastic right now... so take that into consideration. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

But yeah if someone is raising a lot of crap and you catch a good hand (and ATs is a very good hand), then punish them, reraise to isolate so you get it heads up with them.

Given that you didn't 3-bet PF, you really need to raise the flop, at least if you think he'll check to you on the turn (which you should bet, intending to take a free showdown UI).

The way this hand went down worked out fortunately for you, but you need to be very sure he's capable of folding to a sudden turn raise after betting like this; most people won't. You're putting more money in on the turn when you've not much of a chance to improve. If you raise the flop, bet the turn and take the free showdown, you save yourself a bet. Of course you would bet if you catch an A or T along the way.

Lastly, if you do have a read like 'he's been raising a lot of crap like A2o', you need to put this in the original post, because it's important in gauging your actions throughout the hand. Include it straight up so we know what sort of player he is, because that drastically affects the appropriateness of your actions. For example, if your villain was a solid player, ATs would be a clear PF fold.

BatsShadow
08-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Edit: Grunching

Without a read, I think the preflop call is a bit questionable. After that, I really like it.

To me, from Villains point of view, you look like the typical 1/2 guy who calls preflop with anything, hits crappy cards on the flop, then waits till the turn to raise.