PDA

View Full Version : small blind play

Joshua
04-03-2003, 09:39 AM
You're in the small blind which is 1/2 small bet. Four players have limped. You know that the big blind won't raise. What hand's would you fold in this spot?

The reason why I'm asking this question is that I lately started thinking that I'm to tight in this spot.

ZManODS
04-03-2003, 11:13 AM
You can play any hand you would on the button plus some small suited (possibly 1 gap) connectors down to like 54s or 64s. Always throw away dominated hands like J3o, K2o and any other trash hands 35o, T5o..... With 4 limpers plus the big blind you are getting very large odds for your 1/2 bet. Even any Ace suited would probably be playable (better if its a loose game). Obviously though, unless the flop hits you pretty hard you must fold.

Ed Miller
04-03-2003, 11:58 AM
I play any two suited and offsuit connectors down to about 65o. I play Axo if there are only a couple of limpers to me.

In other words, the main hands that I'm folding are the just total trash hands... J4o, T2o, 83o, etc.

CrackerZack
04-03-2003, 12:38 PM
I agree. I'll usually play any suited connectors, any 2 suited both 7 or bigger and usually draw the line around 76o although have played lower, and Axo as long as it isn't more than 3 limpers and none of the limpers are known to be extraordinarily tricky.

I run into the biggest problems when the flop comes rags, and I hit top pair weak kicker since I'm WAAAAY out of position. I'm probably giving away some money but I tend to check-fold this (if TP < 8 mainly and there are 4 or more other ppl involved) a lot of the times if there is a EP/MP better and several callers since a check-raise will no longer eliminate field. On a separate question, how should this situation be approached? I'll usually take one off if I close the action or know the players behind me won't raise since the pot is big but if these conditions aren't met, i've been folding this more. How wrong am I?

Zack

Zag
04-03-2003, 12:46 PM
I'm with Majorkong, here. You are getting 11-to-1 on your call, and humungous implied odds. In this case, I come very close to saying that cards have to have the same color on their backs.

Some caveats:
1. Be very sure the BB is not going to raise. If he does and everyone calls, the odds back to you are once again 11-to-1, but the implied odds are significantly less, so you have to dump the worst of the hands. If you aren't sure, just dump them up front.
2. Be wary postflop. If you have one card in the playing zone (say, J9s) and you make trips with it, be afraid of being outkicked. Consider a check-raise on the flop, when the bets are cheaper. If you continue to get pressure after you check-raise, consider folding.

Louie Landale
04-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Any hand on the S&M charts would be a good start. Hands that cannot realistically flop a flush draw, a straight draw, top pair, or a set are pretty much out.

- Louie

Tyler Durden
04-03-2003, 02:43 PM
It's a good question.

The hands that I would not fold are: any pocket pair, suited connectors down to 54s, unsuited connectors down to 76, and one-gappers to about 75.