PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

RacersEdge
08-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm talking about the book by Hunter S. Thompson with this title. Opinions on this book.

HopeydaFish
08-20-2005, 09:23 PM
You, forgot "Heard of it, didn't read the book, but saw the movie"

Russ McGinley
08-20-2005, 09:31 PM
You also forgot "They made a book out of that?"

Stellastarr
08-20-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You, forgot "Heard of it, didn't read the book, but saw the movie"

[/ QUOTE ]

thats my vote.

08-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Read it in college thought it was really funny. There was a chapter where he was trying to describe Circus Circus while high on ether. Said something like "its what the whole world would have been like if the Nazi had won the war"...funny

Los Feliz Slim
08-20-2005, 11:19 PM
OK, but overrated.

And the movie blew chunks.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read it in college thought it was really funny. There was a chapter where he was trying to describe Circus Circus while high on ether. Said something like "its what the whole world would have been like if the Nazi had won the war"...funny

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I read it probably 2 years ago or more, and don't remember it much at all. I voted for read it and it was ok. However, I did think his description of how to get away from the police was hilarious.

Sooga
08-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Thank you..... this movie has almost become my litmus test of whether or not I can get along with someone I've just met. I'll ask them if they liked the movie, if they say yes, then I know they're mentally challenged in some way, and I learn to stay away from them.

edfurlong
08-21-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you..... this movie has almost become my litmus test of whether or not I can get along with someone I've just met. I'll ask them if they liked the movie, if they say yes, then I know they're mentally challenged in some way, and I learn to stay away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie was fantastic if you've read the book.

DarkForceRising
08-21-2005, 01:37 AM
The movie is great (albiet with some difficult to digest scenes) if you have done acid.

UseThePeenEnd
08-21-2005, 01:44 AM
As your attorney, I advise you to bet the pot.

cadillac1234
08-21-2005, 01:35 PM
If you've ever been high as [censored] on a roadtrip it makes a lot more sense.

tek
08-22-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll ask them if they liked the movie, if they say yes, then I know they're mentally challenged in some way, and I learn to stay away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This was a tough movie to make in terms of doing justice to the book. Dep couldn't pull it off despite a great effort.

Now, here's a question for guys in their 40's. Do you find Thompson and Warhol less funny now than you did 20 or so years ago? I do.

BusterStacks
08-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Don't take any guff from these fcuking swine.

Jeebus
08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
if you have never touched a hallucanigenic substance and don't enjoy at least some form of buzz this book will nto be for you and the movie won't either. If you have some appreciation of who Hunter S. Thompson was then you will lov eit.

_2000Flushes
08-22-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie kicked ass.

-2kF

Roy Munson
08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
As someone over 40 I find the book as funny today as I did 30 years ago upon first reading.

HST's later work seemed a bit more inconsistent, but that is hardly unusual for any creative person and does not diminish the strength of their best work.

Blarg
08-22-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you have never touched a hallucanigenic substance and don't enjoy at least some form of buzz this book will nto be for you and the movie won't either. If you have some appreciation of who Hunter S. Thompson was then you will lov eit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I laughed really hard reading this book. If you haven't or won't do any drugs or are against doing drugs, or have never gotten drunk and feel the same way, and have never done and thought stupid things on them or felt comfortable admitting how full of crap so many things are including yourself, this is not the book for you.

If the above don't apply to you, if you love Thompson, and if you remember the tenor of the times and are not too uptight, you'll enjoy the book.

As usual, a lot is lost over time because by now the super-crazy road trip book and movie have been done to death. But at the time Loathing came out, one quite this crazy had never appeared before, and certainly not one with so much booze and drug and sick of baloney-inspired mayhem.