PDA

View Full Version : should I keep an oxygen machine?

snorer
08-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I have an oxygen machine here that my mother left behind.

Before I call the company to return it, I'm wondering if I should maybe keep it.

I know they have all these trendy oxygen bars around, but I've never been to one. Is there anything to 'em? What's the experience like?

I'm thinking it could make a nice bachelor pad feature.

Dynasty
08-20-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I know they have all these trendy oxygen bars around,

[/ QUOTE ]

People at these bars with tubes stuck up their nose look incredibly stupid.

rusellmj
08-20-2005, 08:46 PM
A good bachelor pad feature is a bar with alcohol, not oxygen.

Drew16
08-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I went to one of these and its a total scam. It was something like $5 for 3 minutes of "flavored" oxygen. I sucked it in as hard as i could trying to get my moneys worth. You got a tiny little buzz as you were inhaling but as soon as your off the machine its gone.

DasLeben
08-20-2005, 08:55 PM
I've used supplemental oxygen in an airplane, and I didn't notice a damn thing different other than it made me more alert. That was a good thing.

lu_hawk
08-20-2005, 09:07 PM
you will die quicker if deprived of oxygen than any other substance. given that i think it can't hurt to keep extra.

RunDownHouse
08-20-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you will die quicker if deprived of oxygen than any other substance. given that i think it can't hurt to keep extra.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just love the paranoia of this response.

If you won't lose a deposit on it or anything, why not ebay it? If you're looking to keep it just to get high, surely you have better options.

EDIT: Rethought

whiskeytown
08-20-2005, 09:16 PM
actually, I read somewhere that 100 percent pure oxygen will EVENTUALLY kill you - I think you need some of the other impurities/stuff, or else it overloads something -

but we're talking days/weeks, I think -

I have no idea where I read this, but it was years ago and it just comes back to me...

RB

astroglide
08-20-2005, 09:22 PM
what was the context of you using airplane oxygen?

DasLeben
08-20-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what was the context of you using airplane oxygen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Up at 20,000 feet enroute from Arizona to Aspen, CO. The plane I was flying was unpressurized and really [censored] cold. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7ontheline
08-20-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've used supplemental oxygen in an airplane, and I didn't notice a damn thing different other than it made me more alert. That was a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't the cold and panic of being in an unpressurized plane that made you more alert?

DasLeben
08-20-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't the cold and panic of being in an unpressurized plane that made you more alert?

[/ QUOTE ]

Panic? I'd certainly hope not. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to clarify, I was flying. Also, the plane is designed unpressurized.

radek2166
08-20-2005, 11:10 PM
O2 toxicity is what you end up with. It washes all the nitrogen out. Also it would take awhile to kill you.

If you give a newborn to much o2 you can make him/her blind.

Look up o2 toxcity.

BTW you can not get 100% o2 out of a concentrator. You really need high flow o2. You can only get about 5 liters a minute out of one.

astroglide
08-21-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know they have all these trendy oxygen bars around

[/ QUOTE ]

but do they really? i remember seeing crap about that in dumb magazines and dumb tv shows, but i've never actually heard of people going to them.