PDA

View Full Version : Never raising preflop in PLO

partygirluk
08-20-2005, 08:12 PM
This is my current default strategy. I just overlimped with AKs A4s .

My thinking:

In Omaha hands don't differ in equity preflop as much as in other games. If I raise, I am offering people fantastic implied odds to call. With a premium hand I will reraise or limp-reraise if I can get a significant portion of my stack in. However, if I can only get, say, 10% of my stack in preflop by raising I prefer to keep the pot small and play poker. In the case of my AKs A4s hand I actually want to encourage certain hands to call (If someone has two cards in one my suits).

joelmick
08-20-2005, 08:34 PM
In my opinion, you are giving up too much equity to the blinds when you do this. Why not just minraise (to 2x the big blind)? You will still get the same callers you wanted to encourage by limping, but will get more money in the pot when you clearly have the best of it, and get rid of some of the blinds with weak hands who might accidentally flop something.

Acesover8s
08-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Your first raise in PLO is for much the same reason that you should be raising A8 suited or 55 on the BB after 6 limpers in holdem.

partygirluk
08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your first raise in PLO is for much the same reason that you should be raising A8 suited or 55 on the BB after 6 limpers in holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would raise them in limit, but not in NL.

Burdzthewurd
08-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I like raising big double-pairs (esp. ds), 4 card runners, or hands like A678 Axs up front to get some money in the pot, and if someone wants to repot it with KKxx or AAxx, all the merrier.

joelmick
08-20-2005, 11:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned, with only minor exceptions, I think any hand good enough to call with in PLO is worth minraising with if you are first or second into the pot.

It helps you in several ways to do this. First, it puts pressure on the blinds, whose average hand will be much worst than anything you would voluntarily play. Second, it might deter some marginal hands from calling behind you, which will improve your relative position on the flop. Third, it makes the pot bigger PF, which makes it easier for you to negate you bad position against players who enter the pot behind you by going all-in. And fourth, it dters full raises behind you that you might get if you limp, because opponent rightfully fear you hold AA and will be able to profitably reraise them almost all-in.

The only hands where you might prefer to limp are really speculative hands like AJ77 with AJ suited and 77 not of the flush suit, where you really hope the flop comes with the 7 of your nut flush draw suit. And even those might be better folded if you are first in, since you pretty much want to fold them if you get raised from behind anyway.

Acesover8s
08-20-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

You would raise them in limit, but not in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, that is what I meant. I do not play NLHE.

LA_Price
08-21-2005, 12:30 AM
calling is boring and raising is fun. Besides people play badly when you raise. Mix it up and build pots with good hands in position and watch them go to the felt with bottom two pair when you have a set beacuse they'll be "sure" that you have aces.

TheRempel
08-21-2005, 12:41 AM
I raise preflop so I can put people to decision later in the hand. By limping, you allow the pot to stay small and your opponents get to make cheap mistakes instead of costly ones.

PorscheNGuns
08-21-2005, 03:07 AM
I very frequently raise so that no one can tell when I have AA and so that already bad players play even worse since the pot is bigger. I have very tight preflop standards though, and usually [censored]-can anything in the first few positions (20k hands into PTO and im at about 18% VPIP)

-Matt

punter11235
08-21-2005, 05:38 PM
How high do you play ?
In my experience raising below 400PLO is pointless cause people will pay off with baby flushes/2pair or anything with a raise or without it. But its diffrent story when limits get higher.