PDA

View Full Version : A likely basic hand from my first PLO session

partygirluk
08-20-2005, 07:23 PM
I'll post my thoughts on each street. They are very green at the moment.

9 handed. $25 on party, loose passive. 2 Folds. I call with

A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . This is a good Omaha hand and a clear play. Don't want to raise as the advantage one hand holds over another is typically smaller in omaha than hold'em. Calling keeps the pot small, and allows me more flexibility and more room to outplay opps which outweighs the equity advantage I get from raising. Two more callers, sb completes, BB calls.

Flop J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB leads for $.25 into the $1.25 pot. I raise pot. Now, in Hold'em I'd go berserk over a flop like this, willing to get it all in unless stacks were deep. In Omaha I have to exercise more control. However, I can't give that $.25 bet respect, it could well be Jack with a lower kicker, or a flush/straight draw. Furthermore, I might be able to take a free card on the turn and then call a river bet if I think I have the odds. If I do have the best hand I want to charge the most for people to outdraw me if I am ahead. Should I raise less to encourage other flush draws to call?

Anyway CO calls, Sb folds.

Turn is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (Pot $5.25)

I pot it. He could have called my raise with a flush draw, set, 2 pair, straight draw etc. If he has a flush draw he just hit, and he isnt gonna call a raise with the non nut flush draw to fold when he hits, so I bet hoping he'll call or raise with his worse flush. If he has 2 pair or a set, I want to charge him to draw out on me. Do you ever c/r here? What is your play if you have top set, but no flush?

Anyway, He calls.

River is A /images/graemlins/club.gif (pot $15.20)

I bet pot, which virtually puts me all in. He called flop, called turn when /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hit so I hope he will call river too with his low flush/set/whatever. I would prefer him to call a pot bet than a half pot bet as aI have the nuts!

I am new to PLO, would like to get better rapidly. I have the roll for much higher stakes, but don't want to be a fish. I would appreciate if you said how your comments would differ if I was play $400.

Thanks

Spellmen
08-21-2005, 01:30 AM
Against a known aggressive player I like to mix a checkraise on the turn in every once and awhile. You raised pot on the flop which makes it look like a set, and a check on the turn would confirm this from villains point of view. If he is aggressive he may try to steal the pot if you check.