PDA

View Full Version : 2 No limit hands at a 25-50 cent full table

flopdanutz
04-03-2003, 05:37 AM
hand 1: middle position with AA i raise to 5, i get 3 caller behind me. I only expected 1 or 2 since $5 is 6x the big blind and its obvious to most that I am representing a big Pocket Pair. Anyway the flop comes all of 1 suit in which I do not have the ace of that suit. I have 20 left and the pot is $20 , I push all in

K2s called with the flopped flush, and ATo with nut flush draw called my flop all in. well The turn and river did not help me so K2s took it down. He is a very loose player whom I figured would call my large preflop raise.

btw, the other players had roughly the same stack size preflop, about $25 each.
Comments on hand 1? make a bigger preflop bet? should i have checked the flop?

Hand 2: four hands later I get QQ on the button and have a $25 stack. a few limpers and someone i have not been watching rasies to $4, I reraise to $14. He pushes all in and I call off my remaining $11 hoping he doesnt have AA or KK or draw out on me. well I ran into AA, my QQ went unimproved. In 10 minutes I lost about $50 of hard earned money!

Comments on hand 2? Should I have folded to an all in by someone I have not been watching closely?

RollaJ
04-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Hand one just sucked, nothing you can do, they dont always win.....did you watch the WPT event last night?
Hand 2) u said on the first hand you listed that $5 represented a big PP, well if this is paradise so does $4, I would either re-raise $5 and fold to an all in bet, or call and see the flop hoping for a Queen but then folding to any big bet /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

JMarks
04-04-2003, 05:38 AM
In my oppinion hand one was played fine, and hand two is probably dependent on the original raiser. The one comment I have is that when playing these tables where the buyin is limited, that buyin is usually not a unreasonable amount to win or lose. In other words you shouldnt really let it bother you to lose 25$ or even 50$. I have played in some of these games and it is not unreasnable to win 3 or even 4 buyins in a session, and I have seen as many as 12 or 13 buyins won in one session, even though it seems like a whole buyin is a big loss it is not because your winning sessions can more than make up for those losses.

gavrilo
04-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Few weeks ago I sat down at a NLHE $50 on PP. Sat out until the BB, first hand, get KK. All folded to the button who raises $7, SB folds, I reraise to $14, he goes all-in. I have played with the guy before and I really did not put him on Aces, sometimes is a little overaggressive with hands. Anyway, flop, turn, river is no improvement for me.. he has Aces..
That's how you lose $50 at a NLHE table!

Jeffrey Biship
04-05-2003, 12:57 AM
I'm really surprised that no one has a problem with the first hand.

I'm learning the game myself, but I'm beginning to think that these micro-blind NLHE games are similar to LLHE in that 90% of the time you're going to have to show down a hand.

I could see going all-in w/ the ace in the suit, but is one pair with no redraws vs a three flush board really a hand worth "going broke" with?

Jeff

soda
04-06-2003, 02:13 PM
I see your point Jeff, but I don't think it's necessarily bad to move in with the aces at that point (the flop). With aces I either keep the pot small initially, or I try to build a huge heads up pot preflop.

The play I don't like most is the $5 preflop raise. This means Aces or Kings. Your opponents can easily call the five looking for two pair, a flush or straight and bust you. That's why you get lots of callers sometimes after you open for a large amount. Make your raises standard until you can learn to fluctuate them successfully.

As a point of interest - the poster said that all the players had about the same amount of money as him - this is not an accident - they are trying to bust him.

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

soda
04-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Hand 2

Big raise often = AA or KK

Just smooth call here in position against a typical opponent with your QQ. Look to flop a set and break him. Based on his betting, you should get an idea of where you stand. If he bets strong, don't be afraid to muck. This should be easy to do if you've kept the pot small by smooth calling.

Against looser opponents, I like the reraise, but based on your nonread of this guy - just smooth call and then decide what to do.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

RollaJ
04-07-2003, 09:16 AM
I prefer a reraise preflop, as most people will then push with their AA. The problem I see with smooth calling is that then when the flop comes 10 high you dont know where u stand and are basically then forced to lose your stack

CrazyAzn
04-07-2003, 09:43 AM
u must remember the pot is 20 already!!! you must bet allin here to make any draws pay or fold... you must be happy w/ a 20$ pot at these limits. the other ppl made horrible calls preflop for 5$ when they only had 25$ stacks.

if someone flopped a flush on you, then u just lose your buyin, rebuy and hope they continue playing that poorly.

peter

CrazyAzn
04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
it is a mistake not to reraise here... b/c what do u do when u flop an overpair and its good??? he has AK, AQs, JJ, TT. you need to reraise for information.

if u just call when u believe you are drawing for a set then you would also play 22-66 for 16% of your stack? no way. as a rule of thumb if u are tryin to catch a set on a man preflop you would invest at most 5% of your stack.... 16% is way too much, you dont have the implied odds on your call. refer to Brunson's Supersystem nolimit section.

peter

soda
04-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Yeah, my advice applies more to big stacks than small. Small stack is a no-brainer - just go with the hand. With a big stack vs. big stack, I prefer to play QQ cautiously in a raised pot.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif