PDA

View Full Version : Imaginative or Insane? ($33)

Scuba Chuck
08-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1650)
UTG (t890)
MP (t2190)
CO (t1860)
Button (t645)
Hero (t765)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t200) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t100</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>...

Newt_Buggs
08-20-2005, 06:13 PM
why are you raising it to 300 instead of pushing? I would probably push.

Scuba Chuck
08-20-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good dilemma. I thought a raise to 300 made it "look" more like I wanted a call (which I don't of course).

microbet
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Not insane, so I'll go with imaginative. Your opponent doesn't have to be Phil Ivey to think a push means a draw and your raise means a made hand. It depends on the player. If he lives to call, then I would think a push would be much better.

Edit: Change lives to likes. I mean if you think he can't resist the 200 call because he has a big stack.

I think a fold is good against some opponents too.

MegaBet
08-20-2005, 06:25 PM
iNsAnE

durron597
08-20-2005, 06:29 PM
What is your plan if you get called and miss the river?

Scuba Chuck
08-20-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not insane, so I'll go with imaginative. Your opponent doesn't have to be Phil Ivey to think a push means a draw and your raise means a made hand. It depends on the player. If he lives to call, then I would think a push would be much better.

Edit: Change lives to likes. I mean if you think he can't resist the 200 call because he has a big stack.

I think a fold is good against some opponents too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a bigstack, I guess those are my thoughts more. That a push "smells."

Scuba Chuck
08-20-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your plan if you get called and miss the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I wish for an ace?

Anyway, assuming I hit a blank, I'm likely check-folding. I can't remember my 'feeling' at the time. Perhaps his mini-bet/call would suggest a flush draw. If I felt that he whiffed, I might put my life on the line here. It's too difficult to know what read I would attain by a call.

Another thought/question I haven't thought through. What do I do if villain pushes on me?

durron597
08-20-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Another thought/question I haven't thought through. What do I do if villain pushes on me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you fold you are crippled and you don't have odds to call w/an 8 outer. So maybe it would be better to give yourself odds by making it 350, increasing fold equity a touch and not putting yourself in the difficult spot of having to fold with so few chips left. Plus your A outs may be good.

The way you played it, against a lot of opponents (basically ones who chase flush draws a lot) on a blank river it's probably best to push. One advantage of not having the A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif here.

Daliman
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good dilemma. I thought a raise to 300 made it "look" more like I wanted a call (which I don't of course).

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly why it's a good play, which should work...so long as no one has top pair or a draw. Likey.

Scuba Chuck
08-20-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly why it's a good play, which should work...so long as no one has top pair or a draw. Likey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

Mr_J
08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
A push would be suspicious.

jon462
08-21-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?? bluffs or semi-bluffs almost always work when no one has a hand, no??

pokerlaw
08-21-2005, 03:54 AM
Do you have a read? I do stuff like this every now and then, but I need a read that villain will give up his hand (be it a bluff or whatever).

Also, I raise to about t375 (looks a little more intimiating IMHO), but that isn't nearly as important as having the "feel" that he will muck after making that weak looking bet...

adanthar
08-21-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At a 215, this play rules. At a 33, you've a good chance of getting called by everything from A6o up.

Also, if you're gonna make that play, it works better when you're the BB. It makes no real difference here because none of these guys will notice, but observant players will realize you completed something worth playing and can very well be semibluffing something like 87.

bennies
08-21-2005, 05:46 AM
nice post