PDA

View Full Version : SNG help you grow

arod15
08-20-2005, 05:39 PM
I was for a while crushing the 50+5 SNG's. But in attempt to bring my game up i switched to online cash games (200 and 400NL 6 handed). What I got was a spanking and a big dent in my bankroll. I have since reverted bank to SNG's and found success and brought my bankroll back, my question is do you feel playing only SNG's actually helps your game or limits it? It's completly different than cash and I just feel long term cash games is where the money is. Just wanted to know if anyone had successfully switched. Perhaps I just started too high and should have stuck to lower limit cash games.

inyaface
08-20-2005, 05:50 PM
your playing $50 sngs and 2/4 NL....yeh thats probably a bit to high

NiR
08-20-2005, 06:01 PM
ya, and also transitioning from cash games to sngs is i think better. i think you should try the 100nl if you do 55's just to get the feel. i was a multitabler in the 100's and then i made my switch to sngs. i am doing farely well now and most say its because of my post flop play that i learned from cash games.

arod15
08-20-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ya, and also transitioning from cash games to sngs is i think better. i think you should try the 100nl if you do 55's just to get the feel. i was a multitabler in the 100's and then i made my switch to sngs. i am doing farely well now and most say its because of my post flop play that i learned from cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well live i played 1-2 NL and 5/5 NL so i thought the transition would be easier. Its just hard because the 100 NL isnt nearly as profitable as multi-tabling 50+5's. I guess i was thinking too short term

citanul
08-20-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you feel playing only SNG's actually helps your game or limits it?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, check that out, i shortened your post, eliminating all the whining, and that's what we got down to.

no, playing only sngs clearly doesn't help "your game" no matter how you define "your game."

it clearly will improve your sng play over time, but there are things that will help your sng play that you can learn more easilly or quickly by playing other games.

it will not help your cash game play as much as say, playing a cash game.

playing nl sngs will basically not help your stud limit ring games atall.

get the picture?

basically playing lots of games in a thinking, non scatterbrained manner helps all of your games. but say, playing a ton of sngs exclusively will not allow you to be successful if you just decide to jump to reasonable stakes NL cash games. why would it? learning why and how you can win at each different game is basically how you get to the core of how "poker" works, but most people can't just jump between games and be an expert or even a winner at a new game instantly.

citanul

citanul
08-20-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well live i played 1-2 NL and 5/5 NL so i thought the transition would be easier. Its just hard because the 100 NL isnt nearly as profitable as multi-tabling 50+5's. I guess i was thinking too short term

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're a decent NL cash player then yes, you should be able to win at lowish stakes cash nl... your sng background has very little to do with that though...

and w.r.t. how much you can make playing 100nl, i don't know if you're accurate with your assumption that it is less than you can make multitabling the 50+5s. but i am not an expert on win rates at the low stakes ring nl games, just what i remember hearing.

citanul

arod15
08-20-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you feel playing only SNG's actually helps your game or limits it?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, check that out, i shortened your post, eliminating all the whining, and that's what we got down to.

no, playing only sngs clearly doesn't help "your game" no matter how you define "your game."

it clearly will improve your sng play over time, but there are things that will help your sng play that you can learn more easilly or quickly by playing other games.

it will not help your cash game play as much as say, playing a cash game.

playing nl sngs will basically not help your stud limit ring games atall.

get the picture?

basically playing lots of games in a thinking, non scatterbrained manner helps all of your games. but say, playing a ton of sngs exclusively will not allow you to be successful if you just decide to jump to reasonable stakes NL cash games. why would it? learning why and how you can win at each different game is basically how you get to the core of how "poker" works, but most people can't just jump between games and be an expert or even a winner at a new game instantly.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]
i guuess it does sound whiny. Really i didnt mean it to. I was just trying to say that it appears cash games are tougher. By showing i have i could beat a intermediate level of SNG's but got crushed at a lower level of cash games. Thanks for your insight.

MegaBet
08-20-2005, 06:29 PM
I prefer being a good well-rounded poker player able to crush all games /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MegaBet
08-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Cash games are tough for you because you play mostly SNGs.

A cash player may say SNGs are tough for him/her because they mostly play cash games.

What's the confusion? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

arod15
08-20-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer being a good well-rounded poker player able to crush all games /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
dont we all that is why i play Stud and o8 im trying to become more well rounded. Ive even began playing MTT of late and have had good success. althought im still on tilt that i made 2 final tables last week and didnt win either.

MegaBet
08-20-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
althought im still on tilt that i made 2 final tables last week and didnt win either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad luck /images/graemlins/frown.gif Read Harrington, it helps a lot with final table play. It helped me a lot and converted what otherwise would have been 5th/6th finishes into wins.

arod15
08-20-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
althought im still on tilt that i made 2 final tables last week and didnt win either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad luck /images/graemlins/frown.gif Read Harrington, it helps a lot with final table play. It helped me a lot and converted what otherwise would have been 5th/6th finishes into wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
ive read the 1st volumn about to catch the second. Really thought the second final table i made i lost on a horrible call. I made an ammuture mistake and let ego get in the way of the right decision no book can help me there it was just stupid play. the other tourney i finished 4th i just got a tad unlucky. i got QQ to his AA with four players left the flop came low. Its pretty hard to get away from that there.