PDA

View Full Version : I hate flashcards

12-22-2001, 01:42 AM
Flashcards are the epitome of what is wrong with students these days. Memorization solves nothing. Blind repetition leads to mediocrity at best.

In high school there were the SAT flashcard kids. They tried to memorize every formula and every word. They could have actually learned how to do math, or even read a book to see words in context, but, alas, their goal was not to learn. It was to perform. Sure, they did better than average, 1100's usually. But the average student had no understanding and no flashcards. Some of the flashcard kids could have been quite smart if they tried to figure anything out for themselves. Instead they decided to chase dreams of success based on false pretenses. Study, study, study. It should have been learn, learn, understand. The worst part about the whole thing is that they see improvement from doing this, and thus begin their long journey to the middle. They do well enough to get by, but will never be truly successful because, well, they really do not know how to do anything.

In college there were the MCAT kids. They spent thousands of dollars on test prep courses and materials. Do they understand any of the material? Some of them. A lot of them don't. These people are repeaters, destined for average jobs and average lives doing menial tasks over and over until the day they die. It is sad. They are not bad people; in fact, they are usually very likable and hard working. They studied from their flashcards for hours and hours. They could tell you where the COOH group goes on all of those molecules. Do they know why? No. Can they apply it to anything. No. So what have they gained? A 24 or 25 on the MCATs and a place on the wait list of an average school where they will memorize for another 4 years and pay 160K to do it (if they are lucky enough to get off the wait list).

Sometimes just doing enough to get by is optimal. If one has no interest in a subject, but it is requisite that he be somewhat knowledgeable about it, memorization is ok. People do this for everything, however. I know so many "smart" people that aren't truly interested in anything. What is the point of life if this is the case? They are taught that performance is more important than understanding. It is a funny paradox, because in my experience, the people who did not study for the SAT's and MCAT's by spending hours reading flashcards did much better. They are the people everyone thinks is "naturally smart". This is not the case. They perform better because they actually understand things. They CHOOSE to try and understand things. When one is actually good at something, it will eventually show, and one who is only trying to seem as if he is will never reach his goals.

Thinking is hard, and people don't want to do it. I saw a guy in the mall the other day who was asking the cashier what 30% off of $110 was. I am sure he could have done this himself. From his dress/briefcase, it was clear that he was a white collar worker who at least professed to be a member of the "educated" segment of society. He was unwilling to do simple math in his head, however. Mental atrophy.

By giving these people their flashcards when they are in school, we teach them that there is an easy way around learning. I am not saying that it is always necessary to ask "why". It is clearly wrong to never ask "why", however.

Imagine a vertical line. This line represents knowledge. The higher up the line one goes, the more he knows. Of course, the information at the top is based on the information at the bottom. The smart people move up this line until they reach their mental capacity. The memorizer starts at the bottom and moves upwards in a widening gyre. He moves up, but gets more and more distant from the material itself. Eventually, the falcon cannot hear the falconer. Things fall apart. The center cannot hold.

It really angers me when people refuse to think. Consciousness is what makes us individuals. It is all we can be sure we have. By refusing to think, people become drones. It can be argued that worker bees are good for a functioning hive, but I hate to see people I like fall waste their lives like this. Think outside of the hive.

If you made is this far you've realized two things. I don't like it when people don't think for themselves, and I am a complete lunatic (I just figured that out when I reread what I wrote.)

Comments appreciated.

DOWN WITH THE FLASHCARD,

-Glenn, crazier than SPM AND the cat?

12-22-2001, 02:43 AM
I had a teacher in high school who did everything with her little flashcards. She couldn't speak intelligently about the material (A.P. European History) for 2 minutes without her flashcards. (Or with her flashcards to be fair.) It was awful. She made us do a project where we had to make idiotic trivia questions to review for the AP exam. A complete waste of time. I try to memorize as little as possible (some is necessary or OK) so I didn't learn much. I wanted a good overall framework for the material and never found it. You would have really hated this lady.

I know what you are saying and don't think you are a nut. I don't think all memorization is bad, but it's usually just to get you to something more interesting. There are things that knowledgeable people will know cold in their field, but I don't think it comes from rote memorization. Either you use it enough to know it or you understand what you are doing enough that the memorization kind of takes care of itself. I see it all the time in what I do. Some people get what they are doing and learn things. They will make no real effort to memorize things but will remember what they learn. They are not afraid to look things up but often don't have to. Others need a sheet with each step outlined for them. They can't figure out how to get from point A to point B because they have no overall conception of what they are trying to do.

12-22-2001, 12:10 PM
I couldn't have memorized S+M's HE hand rankings without them.

Or Basic strategy in BJ.

Or the cut-off points in the count where you deviate from Basic strategy.

Or multiplication tables, when I was a little kid.

Or Korean vocabulary when I studied that language in the army (I simply cannot imagine learning a language THAT FOREIGN without flashcards).

No, you shouldn't base your entire ability to LEARN on them.

But if you're studying chemistry, what's wrong with printing "Helium" on one side of a card and "He" on the other?

I guess all the above examples were when the material was new to me. After a few years of Korean, it WOULD be silly to keep running flashcards; if you haven't grasped it by then, you're not going to.

Bobby

12-22-2001, 02:53 PM
antimatter. Jeez. We are polar opposites.

"But if you're studying chemistry, what's wrong with printing "Helium" on one side of a card and "He" on the other?"

It's not important that He is Helium. What is important are the properties of Helium. If you knew all of the properties, you could just look up the abbreviation when you encountered it. If you only know the abbreviation, you know nothing of value. You can just skip learning the symbols from the periodic table, because as you actually study chemistry you will come across the important ones often enough to remember them. It is much easier to memorize symbols if you have some information to relate to them in your mind. I was very good at chemistry, and I never would have been able to tell you the symbol for every element on the periodic table. It is unnecessary. Of course the flashcards will help you remember the symbols, but that is not the point of chemistry.

As far as Korean goes, I am no foreign language expert, but no language I have ever seen is exactly the sum of its parts. How words interact is what is important. Obviously, if the characters in the language are not the same as in your native language, some memorization is necessary. However, the marginal utility of what you are learning increases when you get past the memorization and get to the language structure itself. You can always look up a word if you don't know it, but if you gave me a Korean/English dictionary I doubt I could say anything very meaningful.

-Glenn

12-22-2001, 08:40 PM
but really, aren't the flashcard people really just trying to beat a silly game...the number game...that is instilled in our society???

12-23-2001, 02:38 AM
I think flashcards, like any tool, have their place as long as they're not abused. I agree with your general point that sometimes people only learn things by rote without understanding them, but I think memorizing has its place on the road to understanding, and flashcards can be of some use in this.

When a child is first learning math, he should understand the concept of multiplication but he should also memorize the multiplication tables. Flashcards can be a help here.

When someone is learning a new language - or even trying to increase his understanding of his first language- memorizing vocabulary words can be helpful. True, this is not enough, but it is a good start.

12-23-2001, 10:11 AM
Glenn,

I have just one question...how do you get from flashcards to the SPM being crazy?

SPM,...hurt to the quick...

12-23-2001, 10:20 AM
ez answer..you went to wal mart...the one in montana..bought a 10 card flashcard pack...entitled become spm in 10 ez steps...of course z bought the twenty card pack...foil the spm in 20 ez steps....happy holidays..gl

12-24-2001, 11:11 AM

12-24-2001, 01:58 PM
flashcards do not have much to do about spm being crazy. thats mostly genetic. the rest thats not will be shown when he goes down to detroit to hustle poker and never returns. and it wont be because no one can get him a sandwich thru the open window.

12-25-2001, 01:45 AM
SPM-

Crazy isn't bad, it's not like I called you a resident of Any Flashcard Town...

Happy holidays,

Glenn

12-26-2001, 04:10 PM

12-26-2001, 06:45 PM
lol..gr8 post..gl