PDA

View Full Version : Playing non-result oriented

Tropex
08-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Any tips on how to avoid this - I don't want to but I constantly keep watching my table buy-ins etc. and counting how much i'm winning or losing... Is there anything physical or psychological way to avoid this.

BR,
-Vammakala

wackjob
08-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Some people like tilt-blocker, I think it sucks. I think you have to have the mindset to play solid no matter the results and be OK with losing when you played correctly. If you cannot get into this mindset, I doubt you will ever be a truly successful player. I like to figure out the odds on every bad beat I take, every suckout that hits on the river & then try to workout, time permitting, how much I will win over the course of the next 100 hands becuase of my opponents mistakes. After a while I got sick of doing this and was satisfied to know the majority of the suckouts were in fact going to make me money in the long run. When I'm really taking a beating I will do this still.

The flip-side is making the bad play yourself & winning. These are harder to recognize, but I check the HH any time my river bet or raise is called. I try to do the same thing here. Check if i had correct odds for calling or making my draw, etc. Then seeing how much that is going to cost me(if it was a mistake) in the long run. The tough part is sometimes you are making your plays upon a read that is incorrect, but the play you made going off your read was the correct play & you end up winning. This happens plenty often and all you can do is try to get better notes/reads on opponents.

baronzeus
08-20-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people like tilt-blocker, I think it sucks. I think you have to have the mindset to play solid no matter the results and be OK with losing when you played correctly. If you cannot get into this mindset, I doubt you will ever be a truly successful player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this paragraph. Tiltblocker HELPS you play solid, regardless of the results. After using it for one week I stopped and have been feeling much better since then.

Vammalka: it is something that will come over time. Two months ago if I lost $500 in one day I would be flipping out and probably very depressed. Yesterday, I was down $900 after 5 hours, and didnt give two shits. Now I know when i'm running bad and when I'm running god, so when I run bad I just accept it and know I will run better soon enough.

Tropex
08-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Yea I just had 8k hands of 2/4 and broke even and then hit this one (Although the breakeven thingie was prolly more because of sucky play than running bad). Sooooo where can I get this Tiltblocker? I think I saw a screenshot of it - basically it covers the table part where it shows the table buy-in aye?

pfkaok
08-20-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to figure out the odds on every bad beat I take, every suckout that hits on the river & then try to workout, time permitting, how much I will win over the course of the next 100 hands becuase of my opponents mistakes. After a while I got sick of doing this and was satisfied to know the majority of the suckouts were in fact going to make me money in the long run. When I'm really taking a beating I will do this still.

The flip-side is making the bad play yourself & winning. These are harder to recognize, but I check the HH any time my river bet or raise is called. I try to do the same thing here. Check if i had correct odds for calling or making my draw, etc. Then seeing how much that is going to cost me(if it was a mistake) in the long run. The tough part is sometimes you are making your plays upon a read that is incorrect, but the play you made going off your read was the correct play & you end up winning. This happens plenty often and all you can do is try to get better notes/reads on opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this though, is that its also being results oriented. no matter how good you are, you usually can't narrow your opponent down to a single hand, esp if they're bad, LAGy players (who you're making money from). If you look at the hand history, and it turns out that the LAG flopped top set, and so you had a lot less outs than you thought,and not enough odds, that doesn't mean that you made a mistake. On the flip side, when you flop a monster and get sucked out, it doesn't always mean that your opponents are making horrible mistakes, if on average vs. your range they'd have odds, or at least close to it to draw out.

Sure, when you look at hand histrories you see fundamental theory mistake stuff, but its not always the best way to find out how big of mistakes you or your opponenets are making. especially in SH play, with increased aggression, its even more difficult to pinpoint somebody on an exact hand.

Nietzsche
08-20-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people like tilt-blocker, I think it sucks. I think you have to have the mindset to play solid no matter the results and be OK with losing when you played correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this paragraph and I think it should be carved in stone. Mastering your emotions is one of the most important skills in poker and I don't believe in shortcuts like tiltblocker. The understanding that your good decisions and your opponents bad decisions make you money in the long run should to be enough IMO.

wackjob
08-20-2005, 04:12 PM
pfkaok - If you read carefully what I posted, you basically repeated what I said. The read you have or your opponent, however you look at each hand, is what you have to base your analysis on. Still, this has worked well for me in the past & still works when I'm taking some bad beats & not winning.

My first paragraph is what is key, however. I posted the 2nd to give some insight to how I have dealt with downswings, poor play by myself & others, & tilting in the past.

Tropex
08-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Yea sure, the thing is I don't mind beats so much anymore. If I get many bad beats in a row, it's okay, but I need to learn to NOT count how much I'm winning or losing every hand and I think tilt blocker would help in achieving that skill. If I use it for some period of time, I hope to get accustomed to not checking my table totals all the time and then not need it anymore.