PDA

View Full Version : Need review for "Beyond Tells" by James A. McKenna

08-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I saw this book at the store and it looked very interesting. Is it any good?

thanks

Robertie
08-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I took this on a trip last week for reading on a plane. Wanted to quite after the first 30 pages but stuck it our until page 60, where I gave up. Dull and completely uninformative, with endless repetition of a few commonplace psychological observations. Save your money.

Ragnar
08-20-2005, 07:10 PM
I made it through the whole book, but agree with "Robertie" (is that Bill Robertie?) Boring and not well written. It has a few expansions on Caro's tells that are of some interest. Oddly enough it mentions Dr. Al Schoonmaker's book and says that he wrote his book before he read Al's--but Al's came out in 2000 and this one came out this year. That makes me wonder whether this was rejected for publication earlier, but has been released due to the poker boom.
You'd be better off reading Schoonmaker and then Feeney. If you've read them you'd be better off re-reading Schoomaker and then Feeney!

sethypooh21
08-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Let me add a third vote to the "don't bother" column. Pure pop-psychology drivel, nothing that you won't get from Dr. Al, Feeney and Caro.

08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
thanks a lot guys. You saved me 3 big bets. LOL!

tek
08-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Disagree. The later sections wherein he describes players by personality type are informative. At least read it at a bookstore or the public library. The player types are different than in Feeney's and Schoonmaker's books.